5 speed auto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you are looking at either and are looking at having a shop do the work both will be in the $15-25k category.

You swap a straight axle into a 100 and you start with a more expensive vehicle and you end with one that does not have a rebuilt engine but out of pocket costs are lower.

You swap a V8 into an 80 and you end up with a less comfortable, more capable vehicle, and a rebuilt motor but the out of pocket costs are higher.

Why are we waiting ? I to will donate $5 to the cause

I think I have $12... :meh:

Seriously I'd love to see what kind of mileage difference there'd be.

$15-25k for a V8+5spd swap? That's too expensive. I guess the majority of that money goes into labor cost.

Why would a V8 swap make the 80 less comfortable? It the V8 engine a lot more heavier than the L6?

A V8 swap would currently not be necessary in my case, as the PO has rebuilt the original engine maybe less than 10-15k miles ago due to HG damage.
I'm not sure if a turbo setup would be indicated for y car, since during the rebuild the engine had to be bored out. Maybe I gained a couple of HP in the process with a slightly larger displacement, but not significant.
So in my case at least a 5 speed tranny would make driving a little better. The gears are spaced out better, in my opinion, than on the original one.

A GM V8 drivetrain swap from TLC4x4 starts at $40k
A Toyota V8 drivetrain swap from Slee starts around $25k

The 80 would be less comfortable than a 100 series.

Yes a 5 speed would be nice and why I started the thread, but as of yet no one has the stones to do it.

$15-25k for a V8+5spd swap? That's too expensive. I guess the majority of that money goes into labor cost.

Why would a V8 swap make the 80 less comfortable? It the V8 engine a lot more heavier than the L6?

A V8 swap would currently not be necessary in my case, as the PO has rebuilt the original engine maybe less than 10-15k miles ago due to HG damage.
I'm not sure if a turbo setup would be indicated for y car, since during the rebuild the engine had to be bored out. Maybe I gained a couple of HP in the process with a slightly larger displacement, but not significant.
So in my case at least a 5 speed tranny would make driving a little better. The gears are spaced out better, in my opinion, than on the original one.

I disagree I think you would see a 10-15% increase. Simply because it is 10-15% more efficient as quoted by the Toyota white papers. Instead of wasting power it would go to the ground.

I really don't think you will see a significant improvement in MPG if that's what you're after.

the 5 speed fifth gear ratio is 0.716 vs the 4 speed 4th at 0.753.
The RPM would not drop that much at the same speed.
If there is a 10-15% improvement, in my case I would get an overall 11-11.5 MPG. I don't see that as an improvement.
Acceleration would be much better in my opinion as the 5 speed gears are much better spaced out in my opinion. Plus for off road the 3.52 1st would be, again, better.

For some reason we ended up with 4 cars with only 2 drivers in the household. One is a classic, never sees the daylight. My wife's car is in need of some repairs and has been sitting inside the garage for more than 6 months. This leaves my DD and the 80 for my wife as DD.

She cannot decide what to do with her car, sell it or fix it. She doesn't fully love the 80 since it's not really comfortable as her other car, nor is it fast either.
So, whenever she gets a new car or decides to fix the old one, the 80 will be able to go under the knife.
I just looked up on ebay for some 5 sp trannys and four a few around $500. Not bad I think. Labor and other parts are totally unknown to me at this point (hence my subscription to this thread).

Yes the A750 is quite a common transmission, but not just an A750 would work. You would need one from an LC/LX as it would have the correct output for the transfer case.

The exterior dimensions are the same for the A750 and A343, but the bell housing for the 2UZ is not the same as the 1FE. As of now no one knows if the 1FE housing will bolt to the A750 trans.

And then there is the whole transmission control issue. The 80 computer will obviously not control the A750 so you will need to get a stand alone controller. The problem with a stand alone trans controller is that it does not communicate with the engine to cut the timing and torque between shifts so you might suffer accelerated wear on the transmission. This could be solved with stand alone engine management as well, but then you are opening up a whole mess of work.

And yep @Luke111 is right, my original intent of this thread was just because the A750 supposedly holds more power! lol.

In light of your last post, I get back to my idea of an engine + A750 swap for those interested in both.
It would make no sense for me to get a V8 anything at this point as my engine is kinda new.

It seems as if you looked into all sorts of possibilities for doing this tranny swap. Is there no "bridge" between the 80 ECU and the A750 TCU?
The stand alone controller you referred to, is it to replace the TCU, the ECU or both?

I have an a750f ad of last week. I'm trying to get turbophil gears and lockers in then I will start working on taking measurements and doing a comparison

I have a line on a 442 bell and trans need to find a loose 343 close to home mine is not apart right now

I think standalone is the only way to go

I checked out ebay again for the cost of a V8 and they seem to be rather inexpensive (compared to a lot of other brands). Less than $2000. A750 $500-1000. So, let's say $3000 for both.
Is labor cost so high in doing the swap to cover the remaining $12-17k?

Awesome! What is your plan? Is it a A750 from a LC? It is going to be hugely telling if the 1FZ bell housing will bolt up! Or even if it is simply a matter of drilling the bell housing to match the pattern.

Yes I had $19k in labor on my first 2UZ swap, there is a lot of custom that needs to be done. Engine mounts, exhaust, wiring, drive by wire pedal, intake, plumbing, radiator, mounts for computers, etc.

I promise you Slee is not becoming the next millionaire doing V8 swaps.

I checked out ebay again for the cost of a V8 and they seem to be rather inexpensive (compared to a lot of other brands). Less than $2000. A750 $500-1000. So, let's say $3000 for both.
Is labor cost so high in doing the swap to cover the remaining $12-17k?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom