FJ60+62+(Z)80+ v8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.snlandcruisers.com
I thought I would start a new build thread since my 80 died last weekend. I rolled the Cruiser in the Saint Anthony Sand Dunes in Eastern Idaho. Nobody was hurt but after a 1 3/4 rolls the body is toast. Mechanically the Cruiser is sound, I drove it home 70 miles with no windshield towing a trailer over the rockies after rolling it.

I spent a few days considering my options, buy an 80 with a clean body, part the 80 out and a few other ideas. I had a really nice 62 body I sold to a buddy this spring. Not much to it other than a very clean rust free body and a good interior. I bought it back from my buddy today. So that is it, the project is decided on.

I like the 60 front end better so will be using that in this build. Right now the build consists of....

1988 FJ62 body
1991 FJ80 chassis
FZJ80 axles - doing a custom RuffStuff front housing. E-locked with Low Range Offroad wiring kits.
1997 5.7L Vortec - may go to a 5.3 but the 5.7 runs really well.
4L60e with a shift kit and tuned - 60 Split case behind it

I have got many new parts into the 80 chassis and lot's more to put in. I did a Chevy 1-ton Y-link steering conversion on it and c&t the axle to 4.5*. I recently bought a spare front housing so I can cut the knuckle balls off and use with the new RS housing. The Cruiser is rolling on 35" rubber with Slee 4" coils all around and Fox 12" remote resi shocks. Many goodies for this build like an OEM dash pad, Engel 45L fridge, x2 Odessy batteries, Warn 9.5XPs on remote, ProCar front seat, Ridged Industries LED bar and on and on. My 80 was pretty set up.

fj62 8.jpg

IMG_1040.JPG

dash cap1.jpg

bad day1.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
subbed
:popcorn::popcorn::beer::beer:

Here I was, all excited to welcome you back to the 60 series fold, and then I saw why. Sorry, man, I hate that that happened. Glad nobody was hurt.

Edit: reading over on ExPo, I see that you are keeping the chassis out of your 80.

Last edited:
I avoided my 80 all last week, just bummed out on it. I did get it in my shop as soon as I got it home but didn't even really go out an look at it all week. I started tearing it down last night, tons of good parts still on the truck. But the roll over was hard enough that the roof getting smashed sent shock waves down into the body. Both A & B pillars are wasted. Body seam welds popped, distortion and bent sheet metal in places that never contacted the ground. Body wise all that is worth saving is one rear door, the tail gate, hood and one fender and even those are not undamaged but they are worth saving. Sad day and night tearing it down and more of that to come but it has to be done.

I had a hand full of things bugging me with my 80. Exhaust, fuel range, wiring, motor mounts and so forth. I plan to deal with all this during this build.

Once I have the 80 stripped down to a rolling chassis I can get going on all this.Should make a lot more progress today. Oh ya and my 80 was my DD so now I need a new DD. Got a budget of about $5k for that and thinking I may get myself an older Tacoma, of course in 4wd.

Cheers

Weren't you planning on doing this build a few years ago? I remember seeing that 62 body in thread with similar build plans, or was that who you sold the body to?

This will be MANUCHAO's exact twin I guess?

:popcorn:

Weren't you planning on doing this build a few years ago? I remember seeing that 62 body in thread with similar build plans, or was that who you sold the body to?

This will be MANUCHAO's exact twin I guess?

Ya, but I got an nice 80 and it suited me well plus I liked it a lot so I canned that project.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-mongrel-fj62-body-fzj80-chassis-turbo-diesel.572900/

The drivetrain I had planned to use in that project I am keeping in my Patrol rock crawler. Only reason I am building this new version is I just wasted my 80 in the dunes. In the last 1.5yrs the 80 grew on me a lot and I built it up a lot. Odd but on the way to the dunes the day before rolling it I was talking about how much I liked it and planned to keep it a long time. It was a super clean truck, no dents, and zero rust. You got to pay to play though sometimes and this was one trip I paid. :(

Making progress, lot's of stuff stripped from the truck today. Here is some pics of how smashed the 80 is.

smashed1.jpg

smashed2.jpg

smashed3.jpg

smashed4.jpg

smashed5.jpg

Last edited:
Few more...

smashed6.jpg

smashed7.jpg

The only major thing I am going to miss about the 80 is the sun roof, I loved it. That and the departure angle is better.

As far as the truck being a twin to Franks 60/80 build, it will be similar sure. I have got some ideas and plans of my own though.

Cheers

Wow. Sorry to hear about the loss of the 80, but I am glad you are safe and back with a 6X series :)

Look forward to this build and greatness awaits!! sub'd

What are you going to power the 60/80 beast with? Dying to know where you're going with the drive train!

What are you going to power the 60/80 beast with? Dying to know where you're going with the drive train!

...from the first post...
1997 5.7L Vortec - may go to a 5.3 but the 5.7 runs really well.
4L60e with a shift kit and tuned - 60 Split case behind it

Dan

Sorry to hear about the loss of the 80 Ian! But I've always thought that my dream cruiser would be close to what you're building! I've got a few cheaper modes of transportation now if you want some help or anything, just let me know and I'll come over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom