Turbo is in! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What transgo kit did you use? Did you drill the holes and if so what size (truck or race).
I got it from Summit, the only one they sell for that transmission. I went mild on the drillling, no race (no way!). As an every day driver sometimes I think that the 2-3 shift is too hard with what I did. The shift kit was by far a must do, the tranny was having trouble with loooong shifts and that extra power.
I prefer running the car in PWR mode because the shift points are better.

What do you mean you plumbed an expansion line back into the vehicle's system? Are you using coolant in your air to water intercooler and using the radiator's overflow as your expansion tank?

I am very surprised you haven't maxed your MAF out using it as a blow through helps but usually driveability is a little effected. You haven't had any issues with stuttering or stalling at low speeds when you blow off opens? I know that usually happens when people run the MAF before the blowoff, running the MAF after the blow off is usually very hard to tune for. The fact the stock system is working for you is amazing.

It's probably hard to see from the pics but I have the water to air intercooler under the hood for the charge piping, attached to that I installed a system fill radiator style cap. From that heat exchanger I ran tubing to the front heat echanger with the pump installed on the cold line. I filled that system with the same coolant the engine system uses- now I can't just make it a closed system beacause as it heats up it will expand so off of the system fill radiator cap I ran a small hose and tee'd it in to the vehicles expansion tank.

I have never had the truck stall on me running the MAF setup I am. I'm not sure what I am doing differently? Maybe I am just not pushing the amount of air you have? This is a very driveable setup.

Sounds like a great setup! I just wanted to make sure that you didn't actually loop in the engine coolant, as some guys think that's what air to water does. Yeah I think post turbo, post blow off MAF, on stock computer is a good way to do it if everything looks good. And even if it max's out the MAF that just means it is going to be wide open loop when you want more fuel anyways.

So about 9 sec 0-60ish? Niiice...

Added to 'want' list. Nice work.

:clap: Love it. Looks tempting. Have any idea of an approximate total cost?

Thanks!

Nice Job! This is on my list to do when I get back from my trip. I've been researching a bunch and will probably have something similar in terms of boost ( I want to keep it low and hopefully use only the stock ECU/fuel injectors/pump/etc.) I think I may go A2A intercooler since up here in CO during the winter having 0 degree air will help cool the charge.

@Corbet, if you are seriously looking at going turbo route, lets chat at some point and see if we can come up with something. I'm limited right now to research and whatnot till my trip is done, but once back (if I have any money left) I'd like to start looking into this more seriously. (and possibly get the cast turbo manifold so I can start seeing how much "stuff" will have to move around in the engine bay.

Well don't confuse creating boost with positive manifold pressure. Many people get them confused. You can be in vacuum and still be creating boost. The difference is that the stock truck might be -8psi and you are only -2psi. I often tell people that and sometimes it doesn't make sense to them but it is also why you need to be careful fueling on the edge. Our careful not to hold yourself in a place where you will be creating boost (not to be confused with positive manifold pressure) under heavy load but not running a richer fuel mixture.

turbo is a ball bearing GT-35 .70 AR T4 flange water and oil cooled.
The funny thing talking about boost and these engines.... it seems like I have 50% more power than stock when driving even when the gauge says zero (i.e. no vacuum). All that's needed is some help with the air flow.

But to be more specific, I am begginning to develop boost at 2,000 RPM, by ~2500 RPM its over 5 PSI. It's all dependant on how much you put your foot down, what you're wastegate and boost controller is set for. I, like i said, use this as a daily driver and have found that I rarely even go half throttle with it. More so I am 1/4 throttle taking off from stop signs and lights and I can watch the boost run between 3 to 7 psi. Normal driving - rolling along down the road- its running at zero to 10 in Hg (vac).

There is very little lag in this setup, I am sure it would be a lot better with a full 3" exhaust but I hate advertising that I am coming. I have some video of a couple 0-80 runs, do I need to put them on youtube? or can they get posted to the thread?

@Corbet, if you are seriously looking at going turbo route, lets chat at some point and see if we can come up with something. I'm limited right now to research and whatnot till my trip is done, but once back (if I have any money left) I'd like to start looking into this more seriously. (and possibly get the cast turbo manifold so I can start seeing how much "stuff" will have to move around in the engine bay.

PM sent

Really like this a lot! Any idea what it did for your fuel mileage?

Loved the videos!

Are you using any kind of a restrictor on your turbo oil feed line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom