Builds Isuzu 4BD1T Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser) Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haha yeah well see, trying to find out what turbine it's got. He also is a bit steep on the price. May get a cheap Saab housing just to try it, since it needs an adapted one way or the other.

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised just how close the wheel specs are from a holset HE221W & the TD04HL 19T .
Found this info from a member of another forum:

Holset HE221W
Cummins ISBe 3.9 and ISF 2.8, Brazilian Ford F-250 (2006-current)
Billet compressor wheel
5cm, 6cm, 7cm and 8.5cm turbine housing options
Identical to the HX27 except for having a billet aluminum compressor wheel

Compressor
Exducer: 60mm
Inducer: 43.5mm
12 blades
52 trim

Turbine
Inducer: 53mm
Exducer: 45.7mm
11 blades

MHI: turbines and I go by inducer diameters with them .

1) TD04L ..... 46.8 x 41.2mm 7.7mm tip width .
2) TD04 std ... 47.2 x 40.0mm 6.8mm tip .
3) TD04H ...... 52.0 x 44.0mm 7.7mm tip .
4) TD04HL ..... 52.0 x 45.6mm 8.9mm tip .

13T-6 ... 40.64 x 56.0 4.98 tip . 52.6 trim .
15T ...... 42.00 x 56.0 5.38 tip . 56.2 trim .
16T ...... 43.40 x 56.0 5.70 tip . 60.0 trim .

Compressors , MHI is all over the place with B/C/G/T series wheels . Most people seem to think that the T spec wheels are the go , from 13T to 18 they are 56mm major dia wheels with the inducer diameter increasing with the "t" number ie
13T is 40.64 mm ~ 52.5 trim
15T is 42.00 mm ~ 56.2 trim
16T is 43.40 mm ~ 60.0 trim

The 19T is 58mm major diameter and it's inducer is 45.9mm so 63 trim .

Haha yeah well see, trying to find out what turbine it's got. He also is a bit steep on the price. May get a cheap Saab housing just to try it, since it needs an adapted one way or the other.

This is an interesting idea. I had thought about this but wasn't looking forward to redoing my down pipe. Also, kunigawa has some overstock, new Saab turbos they are selling that are upgraded to the 19t. I thought about buying one and just using my volvo housing, but it looks like the Saab turbine wheel is smaller than the volvo turbine wheel according to kunigawa.

Maybe the best play now is to buy a junkyard Saab unit (I think they are all 5 or 6 cm) and build a hybrid.

Yeah they are very close. I really think my issue is turbine size. I may have a early manifold that I can get with a T25 turbo flange. If I can get that and a Saab 5 or 6cm turbine I maybe in the game. The 5cm turbine came on almost all the Saab turbo cars for almost 10years. So there must be some around. I'm just not sure if 5cm is going to be too small. I find this motor does not really want to Rev much past 2800rpm so I do not think it will hurt much.

I forgot about the t25 flange change. Nuts. I'd like to not have to change my exhaust manifold...and most the adapters look like they'd shove the compressor housing into the firewall.

This is an interesting idea. I had thought about this but wasn't looking forward to redoing my down pipe. Also, kunigawa has some overstock, new Saab turbos they are selling that are upgraded to the 19t. I thought about buying one and just using my volvo housing, but it looks like the Saab turbine wheel is smaller than the volvo turbine wheel according to kunigawa.

Maybe the best play now is to buy a junkyard Saab unit (I think they are all 5 or 6 cm) and build a hybrid.
If it's a TD04HL it will have the same size turbine wheel. Does not matter if it's a 13t, 16t, 18t ect. The TD04HL part denotes the turbo class size and the turbine. The last numbers 13t 16g 18t ect ect only pertain to the compressor wheel class and size.

The T25 is a bummer but we are not finding anything viable in T3 so time to re do some stuff.

If it's a TD04HL it will have the same size turbine wheel. Does not matter if it's a 13t, 16t, 18t ect. The TD04HL part denotes the turbo class size and the turbine. The last numbers 13t 16g 18t ect ect only pertain to the compressor wheel class and size.

The T25 is a bummer but we are not finding anything viable in T3 so time to re do some stuff.

The overstock ones look like they are TD04L's instead of HL's...so it looks like the turbine wheel is smaller. Elsewhere on the site though there are TD04HL's listed for the Saab so it looks like the Saab housing might be a decent option...as long as its the one for the TD04HL.

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/g...b9-320tb207r-l4pn5556494149377-06520-1-1.aspx

those ones have a really goofy flange mount too...
Yeah that one looks way different than the other Saab turbo's I have found. I'm going to try and keep the larger turbine wheel but go with a smaller housing. I feel the turbine size is right, it's just the turbine housing that needs some tuning.

If I can fix my lazy performance with a turbine and manifold swap game on.

OK so I ordered the Kunigawa 6cm turbine last night. It's going to be the cheapest and easiest way to get a smaller housing on there. I was trying to avoid spending the money on a new one but all the other options where going to end up costing more and taking a bunch of fab time. Im still going to get the other manifold with the T2 flange in case I go he221 in the future.

OK so I ordered the Kunigawa 6cm turbine last night. It's going to be the cheapest and easiest way to get a smaller housing on there. I was trying to avoid spending the money on a new one but all the other options where going to end up costing more and taking a bunch of fab time. Im still going to get the other manifold with the T2 flange in case I go he221 in the future.

Cool! I went to buy a Saab turbo yesterday off craigslist. Nice guy selling it, but turned out to be the same funky flange style as the one a few posts up. He said they went to that style in 2003. So the window for small nozzle, t25 flange saab turbos is 1999-2002 or 3 and only on the se models. I realize you've got this whipped, but figured if add the info incase something changes.

Can't wait to hear about the tire shredding power the 6cm housing gets you!

This would bolt straight on http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbo-Tu...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43cb51caf1
or a second hand one off a '97 Volvo 850 2.0l petrol tdo4hl-16t-6 mhi# 49189-1450 / tdo4hl-13g-6 mhi# 49189-1430 should have the same housing, but make sure the exhaust housing # is 115 89 11710 6 , the last digit is the nozzle size (cm'2) .

I've looked and looked for these in the US. We didn't get the 2.0l in the volvo that I am aware of. There's a 1.9l on the s40's but I think it has a different flange. I imagine getting one shipped from a wrecker in the uk or aus would be expensive. I think the kunigawa route is going to be the best for folks in the us that want a 6cm straight flange housing. You can get the 6cm angled flange housing in the us...just not the straight. The angled flange housings are pretty difficult to mount on the 4bd2 exhaust housing. Takes some kind of crazy machining on the housing. I did one...but it was a 7cm. Nuts.

Cool! I went to buy a Saab turbo yesterday off craigslist. Nice guy selling it, but turned out to be the same funky flange style as the one a few posts up. He said they went to that style in 2003. So the window for small nozzle, t25 flange saab turbos is 1999-2002 or 3 and only on the se models. I realize you've got this whipped, but figured if add the info incase something changes.

Can't wait to hear about the tire shredding power the 6cm housing gets you!
Yeah I went for the new one for ease. I built everything on the turbo around that style turbine. I just need to get the step machined off and will be good to bolt it on.

Yesterday I took the truck up the coke again this time with the RTT on. Still went up fine 85km/h is as slow as it got in 3rd gear with the trans locked 15psi and 1270egt's. Overall yesterday I had 180kms of hwy (110kms/h) and 120kms of off road with lots of elevation change and snow. About 30kms in low range. Filled up and uncorrected I got 18.7mpg, when I correct that it's just over 20mpg. I'm impressed because that's with the RTT, locked fan clutch, an auto and AWD, not to mention a 6800lb truck.

I think you are getting better mileage than me by a bit - perhaps 2-3 mpg? I have no tent but do pull the trailer/tent. I can hold 4th gear and lockup on that hill however. Good result!

I think you are getting better mileage than me by a bit - perhaps 2-3 mpg? I have no tent but do pull the trailer/tent. I can hold 4th gear and lockup on that hill however. Good result!
Maybe a bit yeah. I want to see how everything seats in before I start tracking economy to closely. I put the clutch fan on Monday so well see if that improves things at all. I'm sure it and taking to rtt off would help but most the longer trips will have the tent on.

My hope when done is to do the coke in 4th as well at about 100kms/h. As it is though for running only 15lbs of the planed 25-28lbs of boost I was happy with it.

I have crusin off road making me some goodies now for the truck. In prep for moab (fingers crossed) in March.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom