What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went to a local Toyota meet and greet, great to talk with like minded folks. Sadly, I discovered there is a small leak coming from the radiator. Believed to be from the seam across the top. 🙁 Time to hunt down and new radiator and might as well get all the hoses as well.

View attachment 3600306

View attachment 3600307

View attachment 3600308

View attachment 3600309

Bummer. Same thing happened to my Tacoma a little over 7 years ago. Stop leak held it until I could get my hands on an OEM radiator, which was about a week.

Decided to see what 285/75/16's look like in person. These tires are old and ready for the trash heap, but I was really surprised how the truck swallowed up those 33's. I'm thinking it needs something taller. I didn't want to lift it, but 35's may be in order.

IMG_4516.jpg

IMG_4518.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_1156.jpeg

Swapped the smaller tuner in the left for the bigger one in the right…naturally this entailed reworking me entire hf radio set up due to space or lack there of in the rear quarter panels…
All done now though and the new tuner works all bands with low swr…

Camping out on 10 acres in W. Texas land I bought from a fellow mudder for dirt cheap:). Blue Origin bout 20 min away and Monday drive towards Dallas for another spectacular total eclipse…
….drove another ~200 miles into NM sacaramento mnts through some rocky desert to experience completely different topography and weather. Boon-docking yet at another undeveloped property.
IMG_1583.jpeg

IMG_20240406_111554_406.jpg
IMG_20240406_093044_803~2.jpg

Took my parent's mint '92 HDJ80 to yesterdays Offroad-Day at the Toyota Collection Cologne.
First time I touched that car since losing my father to cancer last year. It brought back so many great memories of traveling and wrenching, laughing and talking together, I was heartbroken and thankful at the same time.

On the way back home my little sister got to sit behind the wheel of an 80 for the first time since getting her license. Now she wants to buy a cruiser...

It wasn't "this weekend" it was today, but since I'm on leave til next week, its kind of "My Weekend" so just the same.

I finally pulled this damned thing off, so I can replace the cam chain, tensioners, and dampener, and start buttoning this freaking project up.

View attachment 3564376

Mucho thanks to @OTRAMM for the tool, and my son for the muscle to break that dang bolt loose.

View attachment 3564617
Well, it's just as well I picked this up because I'm pretty certain a portion of the old damper/guide broke off and fell into the cam chain case. I can only rotate the engine about 40 degrees before it stops, but it stops with a feel like its compressing something.

So at the end of the damned day, head coming off again, oil pan coming off. Despite the work, it will be good for my piece of mind. I guess I'll go ahead and replace the headbolts, "while I'm in there" even though the current ones measured fine, one felt very strange when I torqued it.

Man I swear. I would L O V E to drive my truck. Seriously.

lLZdkK.jpg
Camping out in Bloomington IN at my brother’s place waiting for the eclipse Monday afternoon. It’s the first night out with the awning recycled from the wrecked 80, the rebuilt sleeper drawer system, and the Kelty Backroads shelter.

Take your hood off it will be much easier when installing. It’s def easier taking the motor out but it’s a big task and you can do it in the truck with a couple extra curse words. Keep up the good work!
Well I got the beast pulled and no indications of a head gasket leak on any of the cylinders so very happy about that (the plan was for this to to be a preventive replacement as there was no history provided that it had ever been replaced by any of the PO’s)

No vurgin aluminum here…. But some hone marks still visible on the cylinders at 224k miles (I sprayed them all down with a coat of fogging oil to keep the walls from flash rust)

Hoping this beast still has a few miles left in ‘er.

Can any of the guru’s out there tell from the photo if that was still the original head gasket that I removed?

IMG_1932.jpeg

IMG_1929.jpeg

IMG_1928.jpeg

IMG_1926.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you! I used the original cards for patterns (2 out of the 4 of them were pretty deteriorated ) and 1/8” Masonite from HD for the new cards. Had to trace the locations for the holes for the snap clips, holes for the door opener mechanisms, etc. then cut or drill all the opening out. Was sort of a pain but worth the effort in the end. I retired from the Military boot business a couple of years ago and my going away present was enough of the current Army Coyote suede leather and Coyote nylon Cordura as a retirement gift for my seat covers and door panels. I did the seats last year and just did the doors since it was getting painted. Thanks again and glad you like it.

View attachment 3598992

View attachment 3598993

View attachment 3598994

View attachment 3598997

Love those seat covers Hatari !! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom