What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (63 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

He is an electrical engineer. That may have something to do with it.

Or, maybe he feels lucky. :)

Are you confident in that due to the pack you have or because you think it'll stay cool enough? I work with/on HV/LV battery systems of different chemistries and I would generally agree putting one in the engine bay is a no-go.
Not trying to say you're wrong - legitimately curious.
lifepo4 is a 'safe' chemistry versus li-ion. It will not 'catch fire'. The battery also has a BMS to protect from charging when the battery is too cold or too hot. The battery is operationally safe to 55C. I've never seen 60C in the front/battery area of an 80 - 60C is OUCH temperature to your fingers (within a few seconds). Plenty of airflow when moving, no way it'll get silly hot. Heat soak is feasible, though again, any time I've popped the hood to air up etc, I've never felt any of the fender area etc being uncomfortably hot. The battery area is sufficiently 'insulated' from direct engine temperatures. Exhaust manifold is plenty far away and shielded. If you can touch the inside fender area and metal in those locations, it isn't "that" hot.

The DC DC charger is rated to 80C operating temperature. If the battery/fender area got anywhere near that I'd say climate change has killed us off already.

Anyhow, I'm plenty comfortable with the setup I'm putting in place. If I ever am really worried, I'll just put a thermocouple in the battery tray area and run a cable to a meter or use my FLIR to check it out :)

SLA and AGM batteries mostly state max temps in the 50 to 60C range. So lifepo4 is similar and being 'fire safe' means it's certainly compatible with the location that it will live in. I don't want to install it in the rear since that just means creating a place for it, running cables etc etc. I just need power for lighting and other simple camping gear - the microwave stays at home...

cheers,
george.

Where in KS?

We have a few in our club (KC Area) that would allow to ship into MO, then you could pick up, assuming you're close......
Maybe I should buy a set for TAC that could be used by all (I just get 1st dibs since I've got a couple bushings that are pretty cracked)

Last edited:
I made some no lose brake bleeder caps
I have been losing these all my life.

Similar to the valve cap design.

20240215_082829.jpg
20240215_082842.jpg

Then installed the @Delta VS front hydro bumps. For a little 1/8" maybe lift and cush whoop action.

20240216_121313.jpg
20240216_122306.jpg
20240216_123656.jpg

Seeing all these posts of maintenance and mods makes me feel guilty. My 80 series sits in the driveway for a week or two than gets used and put away to wait another week or two. I felt neglectful and depressed after reading so many great posts this morning.

Well depressed = adventure time 🤣 🤣

First things first. Had to try out my new tool.

20240224_123618.jpg

I must say I am thoroughly impressed with this new addition to the family. No discomfort or handshock. This thing literally feels like some 9mm's I have shot. It aims so natural for me and it just shoots and hits where I want. I love it 😀 😍. The trigger is also decent out of the box. And the threaded barrel and tritium suppressor height sights are great. Anyone looking for a 10mm, I would definitely recommend the fn510.

I have also shot the Smith & Wesson M&P 10mm and the Sig Xten. They are decent but they don't compare to this FN.

Haha, enough about tools and onto more boonie bashing.

Here is little video of the roads I was driving today. So much fun!!!! I think I like this kind of driving more than rock crawling.

Hiked about 5 miles today and saw some cool stuff. I took my Drone but the stupid dji app kept craping out. This thing is worthless, I am 50/50 with it. Half the times I try to use it its great and works, the other half the app will crash or it will never connect or not work. I'm pretty discouraged with dji.

Anywase some photos.

20240224_153657.jpg

20240224_153510.jpg

20240224_151351.jpg

As always respect these places, ruins, and artifacts. Photos are okay but no touchy touchy..... or the feds will come for you.... trust me...

Name this sacred mtn in the distance....

20240224_154323.jpg

Maybe my next post will be maintenance oriented...... I am due for a rotation and balance on the new kicks..... although I do need to drive to Moab for my free rotation and balance 🤣

Front diff service, t case service,oil change,rear diff service, greased driveshafts and gave her a bit of a clean up
No sparklies in the oil…

View attachment 3565778
All is well…
What exactly do you mean “sparklies”?
Metal chunks on the magnet plug? Or what someone else described as glitter?
Nice truck.

What exactly do you mean “sparklies”?
Metal chunks on the magnet plug? Or what someone else described as glitter?
Nice truck.
Yes..any metal or glitter as I pour out the oil pan into oil jugs for recycling.

Ours is getting ready for a paint job so we have been removing everything off the truck.

Coast and drive looked high on the tooth, contact on the upper half, but could just be the pictures so take it with a grain of salt. Third picture looks good so maybe just the angle of the pic
@ajordan1975 I'm with JoeCova - I'd run the pattern closer to the root, especially on a wheeling rig that's going to be subject to deflection under shock load on a 3rd without a load bolt. That said, I'm also some random dude on the internet ... and random dudes on the internet always have wildly varying opinions about contact patterns.

Bit of wire Managment today
IMG_0601.jpeg

Have to add some grommets and grab some appropriate wire due to the fact I want the starting battery to be solely that and run all accessories from the second battery whilst avoiding routing the wires where the turbo is gonna live

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom