EGT Sensor (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents,

Let me apologize ahead of time if this question has been asked many times. I've searched and searched with no answer.

I'm going to install an EGT sensor pre-turbo. And I've read some stories about EGT sensors failing and making their way into turbos.

What sensor did you use and how has it held up?

I just rebuilt my 1HD-FT motor and turbo. Last thing I want are parts I installed killing the turbo or motor.

Thank you

I used a probe supplied with my Glowshift EGT gauge when I installed it over four years ago in my Chevy pickup. I had an occasion to pull the probe out last summer, and outside of discoloration from heat, I saw not deterioration or damage to the probe. So, four plus years and no problems with the probe.

Don

Thank you brothers. Wasn't sure if the probs came in different sizes? I don'tsee anywhere sizing for these. Standard size?

My only experience is with the Glowshift brand. No other sizes available as far as I know.

Don

What size drill and tap to use for probe? Though i don't have the probe and gauge yet, I might as well drill and tap my manifold since the turbo is off the motor. Thanks in advance.

What size drill and tap to use for probe? Though i don't have the probe and gauge yet, I might as well drill and tap my manifold since the turbo is off the motor. Thanks in advance.

Find the kit you want to buy online and check specifications for the thread size.

In terms of durability, if your probe is getting to a temperature where it's melting off then you probably have more pressing concerns.

Here is my probe location on my 1hz-t.
image.jpeg

My Glowshift crapped out. I don't know if it's the gauge or probe. My next gauge will be one with a pigtail probe so it's easily changeable.

My Glowshift crapped out. I don't know if it's the gauge or probe. My next gauge will be one with a pigtail probe so it's easily changeable.

I just installed a VDO gauge that has a pigtail probe like you're looking for.

And you're likely going to be drilling the manifold for a 1/4 NPT fitting, probably...

I wasn't planning to get into reliability issues with Glowshift, but Mr Cimarron is correct about Glowshift. I started with Glowshift because that was what I could afford, but four out of five Glowshift gauges have died, so they weren't such a good deal. Having to replace them with a good quality gauge makes them extremely expensive because of money wasted buying them, then turning around and having to replace them.

Don

ISSPRO EV2. Very happy so far. Gauge is programmable for lighting, and has an adjustable trigger. Sensor is on a pigtail with a weatherpack connector.

I thought they were offered in different sizes? K type and so on?

Common drilling size for these is 1/4? I don't want to be stuck with an incorrect size.

Thank you

I thought they were offered in different sizes? K type and so on?

Common drilling size for these is 1/4? I don't want to be stuck with an incorrect size.

Thank you

Buy a gauge and probe BEFORE making any holes in your manifold then. Don't assume with this kind of thing.

Buy a gauge and probe BEFORE making any holes in your manifold then. Don't assume with this kind of thing.

Asuming in drilling applications doesn't really help. I was just curious to know if there was a standard common size for these. It makes sense for the long haul when I need to buy a replacement. Would suck to be looking for a rare size.

@boozewz Seem to have mixed reviews on these? What size gauge did you get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom