Cruisermatt's 80/62/60 mashup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

that's the way that all 60 should came from Arakawa .. 80 series frame and suspension .. !

good job Matt. you beat me...one day my 55 will be ZJd

Well you might still beat me... I need a body, interior, exterior, engine, transmission, and transfer case! All you need is a frame :)

Saving up for a donor truck. Plans are to make a that purchase mid-2016.

When I have the donor the frame will already be shortened, OE body mounts cut, engine mounts welded, and axles rebuilt. Hopefully wheels and tires as well.

@MANUCHAO, it seems that a 60/62 body on a stock 80 chassis equates to about a 2" suspension lift (because of the lighter body). I want to keep it on stock 80 suspension or 2" lift at the maximum, should I correct caster for 2" lift or 4" lift.

For example I think that having the stock suspension you would need the caster correction for a 2" lift. Make sense?

Will be looking for, (in order of priorities from greatest to least):

1. FJ62
2. Rust Free/clean interior
3. White with grey interior
4. Old/broken critical powertrain component (engine/transmission)

Matt, as them 80's folks say "every rig is/behaves different."
Depending on where you go about cutting the frame and how you place the body on the frame will yield different results.

My set up came with OME "J" springs which is about a 4" lift. I did not address the caster angles until after everything that I wanted was on the truck. Then I added 1" spacers all around and swapped the rear coils to heavy duty progressive from Slee. At the end I ended up using Landtanks caster plates to deal with caster angles...

The tricky part is the inner rear wheel wells..
P1010395_2_2.JPG
I thought of cutting them to make the body sit lower on the frame, but I suck at body work, so I did not touch them..
Im glad I did this cause it gives yah plenty of room to run your exhaust and was able to tuck the Tranny and TC way up there... and plenty room for the engine to sit high up away from the pumpkin, but mine was a V8.
Hell you should be able to run the stock 80 tank if you do choose, cause the 6x tank will no longer fit on the back unless it is modded..

I say do all the body mounts work, and you'll get a better idea once you have that 62 on the frame.....

:beer::beer:

Last edited:
For example I think that having the stock suspension you would need the caster correction for a 2" lift. Make sense?
I know the 6X body is lighter, but I dont think by a lot to make that much difference on a stock 80's lift.

I will be using a V8 as well.

And I will be cutting the frame in the same spots you did.

On the topic of the gas tank if I get rid of the 80 spare tire carrier I can't mount the 62 tank there or keep it in its stock location mounted to the body?

On the topic of the gas tank if I get rid of the 80 spare tire carrier I can't mount the 62 tank there or keep it in its stock location mounted to the body?

I got rid of the spare tire carrier too and the stock 6X tank did not fit. The area is wide enough, but length wise is too short.

The cross member that hold the spring buckets and rear panhard get in the way of things. It sits right below the access hole for the fuel sender.
20151201_181613.jpg

20151201_181613.jpg

I got rid of the spare tire carrier too and the stock 6X tank did not fit. The area is wide enough, but length wise is too short.

The cross member that hold the spring buckets and rear panhard get in the way of things. It sits right below the access hole for the fuel sender.
View attachment 1169712

What was your final fuel tank solution? Did ya do a bigger tank than stock or run an aux?

I went custom fuel tank 46 Gal.
I pulled it two week ago as I put a little ding on it while in DV a while back...
YvDB3BA1AwrgOGuY1V4a8ewrnBSzwYZLo4Q1MBLmZcRi-337jMoKS5Khvrqzgytefe8gfYKut-atTjvWIf2RrApz0je9mOCkWuGsJwK4Brq9ktbl6-ZwskFmuyb8aO6SyVNx6gaTNzTNZSbOEatmSHW6DGgkyv28yYrWdSnH-gv4ZBcJiCu5PDlWd01QUz-r2A_RFOyjTUOx6FyzE670caoSRvZDGIh48etQ2NLn3ocSoMg4ZtDy_zqLyF315FaU3ANP9HO0eX4DQBMkTVeq_dzHdmUU_Q4NsNNNxQ3I7AuoObvKRNT9sW08V79UopsvAPaRoMJ0CJvo0HvEKN1d7qszcC_fK8k9y3VyZM5uk77EMZsigvOpwgrDXt_Iz-hRyRndZ4Vci3KvKWLiO4CK6y6gnUMM30zioYH08VzLf6q8HRaEIGHzCwmyTU2k9uXx_svZ1OLC0_YbdbOVGtInpqDybvfn2hZmLuaEkWKRgmDmaL3c8DKDnYIZltakMe6NcuHieCgDXW4mnUajUMkcvo-4PsjD4QqAmOG4156mDBGm=w908-h681-no

wdcDZcssdALZog4H-noJDnslsfPvqxQApwfzrToSDWqVgvpQAAi4QnnJ0U3uhgI_0x63ZJlzzQQxmK8hE9PnjQwusMCCW-EeTV3aA54GxOhns7uGDmVczXg2d445007VjNcs95ixgtRLLM0ARWTZ0kz8Wh4JYfAvX2WBuKTyVYjc4vMoZZ8sQ_nWvzi0VBhCu3KTwYSlDK3vhGVFUss9Oo1HveVOLQFy579qCMQX6e2LUmpuUqk_FHmTicqEqm7uH1JXVhrepvtzCeiCWC3JeqlpozmDO5pQWfID9JXeu09EqEqUJzl6ZVmnwVuZDRot6-Y_4_6VVaUzkSvQBopRMrcvwGWPCZseqGAHFIsNAADSVumgFfmNdXjT3Qd-JBHPypB2Bm_n1P5ZWhELLOQLljc3pTmk0o3xEf6dETWX5Ox_5TBh6Jqs_ect3kuJG7l4zsvCShI27nhGH-zKT1S4rbFAdSjwCqJDW1jLSo67BtzEw0t0-AlsBNz7tcroqMcdpXYN7Ca8dMtVgl8VfhhL6SgoPpdUzsJKzaV_W3CbVlVj=w957-h681-no

And you didn't use ANY of the original body mounts right?

Frank in my thread you mentioned how the truck has stink bug due to the rear body mounts being higher than the front. That due to rear wheel wells, frame rails, ect.

Did you consider making the front body mounts taller, in essence a body lift so that the body is level across the whole chassis with no stink bug? I know yo said once loaded you are level but I think I will be a fair bit lighter than you as my overland build will be less.

Cheers

Matt, I did not. I might of used some of the rubber mounts but none of the body mounts metal pieces.. you might be able to tho'. I just chose not to.

Ian, I did not consider that, guess I was too busy just making sure that the whole thing was centered and level on the new frame being the first time I did this and all.
when I put the body on that frame it sat leveled with J springs all around...
it was not until I added the Slee heavy duty coils springs that I got the sting bug.., but yeah you could totally raise the front end even after burning the body mounts on the frame..is just a matter of using taller rubber mounts...
reason I went with Slee heavy progressive springs on the rear only is cause I did bottom out the rear a couple of times while in DV. Once the new coils went in.. it never bottom out.....
Keeping the fuel tank in the middle of the chassis as supposed to on the rear would help a lot too...

Luckily there's basically three of the same build going on at the same time right now so we can all help each other out... FJ62's on 80 frames with V8's!

Looked at engines and transmissions briefly today. I definitely want to use the factory 62 auto shifter with the GM auto, I know it's been done with the 4L80e but can it be done with the 6L80e? I saw that Advance Adapters has a 6L80e-to-splitcase adapter listed.... Got me thinking.

As for the motor I definitely am liking the looks of the LQ9, as cool as an LS3 is the price difference really is remarkable, and I can always swap down the road. I do eventually want it to be an FZJ6.2 after all... Get it? FJ62? 6.2 liter motor (LS3)? Or FZJ6.0? 6.0 LQ9? I thought it was funny...

IMO I would stick with the LQ4 or LQ9. They're a lot easier to find in junk yards and a lot cheaper. I don't think it's worth the price difference to go to a LS3 or LSA etc.

Luckily there's basically three of the same build going on at the same time right now so we can all help each other out... FJ62's on 80 frames with V8's!

Looked at engines and transmissions briefly today. I definitely want to use the factory 62 auto shifter with the GM auto, I know it's been done with the 4L80e but can it be done with the 6L80e? I saw that Advance Adapters has a 6L80e-to-splitcase adapter listed.... Got me thinking.

As for the motor I definitely am liking the looks of the LQ9, as cool as an LS3 is the price difference really is remarkable, and I can always swap down the road. I do eventually want it to be an FZJ6.2 after all... Get it? FJ62? 6.2 liter motor (LS3)? Or FZJ6.0? 6.0 LQ9? I thought it was funny...
Why not do toyota forced induction 1fz? It will make as much or more power than an ls motor. Plus it keeps everything toyota.

Why not do toyota forced induction 1fz? It will make as much or more power than an ls motor. Plus it keeps everything toyota.

No replacement for displacement my man! Besides, 1FZ swaps are difficult because there isn't a lot of aftermarket support for the EFI system. LS engines however, no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom