Yard Find (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Getting close to the end of the sanding now with the bonnet and the upper tail gate done.
Bonnet Top.JPG
Bonnet Underneath.JPG
Rear Tailgate1.JPG
Rear Tailgate2.JPG

Thanks Pete. Hopefully have everything out to the painters by Monday and let him do his thing. Pick up the seats from the upholster in 2 weeks.

Hey mate,

Awesome build.

I have a question... What are your impressions of the Raptor liner? How durable does it feel? Whats the texture like?

I am contemplating painting the chassis/driveline/and body of my FJ40 with the stuff. Primarily i want something ultra durable for offroad use (Normal paint looks terrible after a while due to pinstripes from branches etc). Do you think it would look ok on the exterior or would it be too harsh?

Also, did you experiment with using a roller or brush as opposed to spray painting?

Cheers

Feistl,

The Raptor Liner feels good once down with a great texture similar to that of Rhino Liner.

I have seen pics of vehicles done inside and out with it and I suppose each to there own. Personally doing the outside is not for me.

When I applied mine I used a Shutz Gun which works a treat for getting a good texture.

OK last of the panel pics which I am sure that everyone is grateful for. All the panels are now done and got a quick coat of undercoat before being painted.
Side Panel1.JPG
Side Panel2.JPG
Side Panel3.JPG
Window Frame1.JPG
Windown Frame2.JPG

I have seen pics of vehicles done inside and out with it and I suppose each to there own. Personally doing the outside is not for me.

Yeah it wasnt my first choice, but for serious 4WDing i am worried normal paint will scratch and rust. I figure several layers of Raptop should give enough protection (even if it doesn't look brilliant).

Cheers

Had a clean out under the house today so Jade got to see some sunlight. Thought that would be a good time to grab some pics while she was basking.
DSC_0246[1].jpg
DSC_0247.JPG
DSC_0248.JPG
DSC_0249.JPG
DSC_0250.JPG

Thanks mate cant wait to get the rest of the panels back from the painter and start putting her back together properly.

Gee Whizz Ken the way to go.
What have you planned for the wheels? The unpainted look just does not cut.
Ok what bit comes next and have you an estimated completion month?
The face book group are holding the 40 series Fraser Island trip as an annual event. May see you there.
As always keep the photos and the good work coming.
Cheers Peter

...via IH8MUD app

Pete the rims will be getting sandblasted and painted original colour. I still have to find 2 more with the hub cap clips and then find a set of chrome hub caps. I have only left those rims on so that I can move her around and don't want new tyre just sitting there. While I am waiting for the last of the panels to be painted will start on the wiring.

Hi Ken
Finding round rims with hub cap clips . Now that may be a challenge.
Did hub caps as standard come to Australia?
Just I don't remember seeing hub caps on forty series units back in the early 70 ties.

It took me 20 rims from Ebay to find 5 that were round . I can't recall any of those 20 rims having hub cap clips.
If all else fails you may have to get clips made and rivet them on.
Finding Hub caps Good Luck but in saying that you always seem to have that special talent of tracking parts.
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

Pete,

I am not really sure it the Australian version came out with factory hub caps or not really. But when I bought Jade there were three rims with hub cap clips with her.

I know that you can still get the hubcaps from the states and was sent this link from Ozcruiser FJ40, FJ45, FJ55, FJ60, FJ62, BJ Hub Cap - w/ Hole OEM

As for having that special talent I have someone about three hours drive from me who has five of them that he is willing to let me have. Call it luck or whatever you want.

Nice work Ken!
Pete,

I am not really sure it the Australian version came out with factory hub caps or not really. But when I bought Jade there were three rims with hub cap clips with her.

I know that you can still get the hubcaps from the states and was sent this link from Ozcruiser FJ40, FJ45, FJ55, FJ60, FJ62, BJ Hub Cap - w/ Hole OEM

As for having that special talent I have someone about three hours drive from me who has five of them that he is willing to let me have. Call it luck or whatever you want.

Ken, You ought to contact @beno he sells OEM Toyota parts, I got my wheels and hub caps from him.
Send him a PM.

Had a look at the roof gutter and pulled it off the roof today. Looks like there might be a bit of work to do here. Not sure really whether to attempt to repair what I have got, buy a new one or have a go at building my own. I am kinda leaning towards option 3 and giving it a go.

Roof Gutter1.JPG
Roof Gutter2.JPG
Roof Gutter3.JPG
Roof Gutter5.JPG
Roof Gutter6.JPG

great work ken.

I have seen a million landcruisers and never seen a hubcap in aust. there is a period photo somewhere with hubcaps on though. there are rims with and without hubcap clips. so I believe hubcaps were an maybe an option that nobody bothered with in aus at all and for this reason they don't interest me much. however there is a bit of spruiking on the 25 page about possibly another run of repo hubcaps so you may wish to throw your name in the ring of those interested.

keep up the good work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom