Yard Find (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found this little beauty today during my travels. I can not tell what year it is as the VIN plate is long gone and I could not see a Chassi number. Speaking with the current owner he believes that it was originally imported from South Africa and was used on a game reserve. He has had it in his shed for the past 15 years on blocks so the tyres did not rot. I have had a look over this little beauty and there is almost no rust in her. He has a PTO winch on there plus an adaptor so that a winch can be operated from either the front or the rear. I have never seen free wheeling hubs like this before and he is asking $2000.00 for the lot. I would buy it but I dont have the room or the time to do her justice. I will have to post a few times to get the pics in.
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0971.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG

More pics if anyone can tell me what year they think it is

IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0981.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0984.JPG

Hi Ken
Nice find.
Did you find this one in Northern Queensland ?
I came across a similar truck a few years ago that had spent most of its life In the Gulf Country and to my surprise this one had very little rust. Why ?
You are right about buying another one . And restoring 2 of them at the same time. I would need to buy a bigger work shop.
I may consider another one when Bambi is finished.
Have you done any more on your project or are you just enjoying driving the LX?
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

Yeah Bambi Girl its in Cooktown where I live. Dont really know why it hasnt got much rust maybe because it has been in a shed. I have been on another couple of forums and by the looks of the interest I should buy it and add another $1000.00 and would still have no dramas selling her.

Hi Ken
Yes I agree .
Buy and resell.
As much as I would like to buy an early 40 I have to stay focused on finishing Bambi .
I just about have all the parts needed to finish off Bambi .
Once the painting is completed end August it's all down hill I hope.
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

Easier said than done. Just got to convince the better half

Early in the 69 model the tail lights changed to that style. 72 Model had louvers stamped into the side of the cowl, both sides. In the US 7/70 was the start of the brake booster. Not sure about the RHD. Easiest way to date it would be to get the VIN on the right section of the frame and check it on Specter Off Road's site.

I do find it interest it has the small amber lights on the back. I believe by 65 Australia had it's own tail light that look like the ones being used on the long wheel base trucks. Funny they switched back to the small add on amber lights located where they could easily be knocked off.

I think that the small amber lights were an add on by the current owner and not original. Anyway I have bought this old girl. She will be delivered tomorrow and will post a heap of pics when I get chance. Still not really sure what year she is but again I will work on that and take advice from members here.

Hi Ken
Well done with your purchase.
What are your plans for her?
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

I think that the small amber lights were an add on by the current owner and not original. Anyway I have bought this old girl. She will be delivered tomorrow and will post a heap of pics when I get chance. Still not really sure what year she is but again I will work on that and take advice from members here.

Since this was suppose to be a import from Africa that would explain the small amber lights. Australia require amber turn signal so to register these had to be added. Won't be surprised if you removed them you would have to add some when you tried to register.

Well Rubys sister "JADE" turned up this morning and we got stuck into her straight away. After a full days work this is where we are at.
DSC_0156.JPG
DSC_0157.JPG
DSC_0158.JPG
DSC_0159.JPG
DSC_0160.JPG

Here are some more pics.
DSC_0161.JPG
DSC_0162.JPG
DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0164.JPG

DSC_0166.JPG

A few more.
DSC_0167.JPG
DSC_0168.JPG
DSC_0169.JPG

DSC_0170.JPG

DSC_0171.JPG

And the worst rust we found was here.
DSC_0170.JPG

DSC_0171.JPG

DSC_0172.JPG

DSC_0173.JPG

DSC_0171.JPG

Very nice find there.

Thanks mate picke her up for 2k. We will get the tub off next week and I will post some pics of the chassis which has been painted in red oxide and no rust has gotten through there.

Got stuck into JADE a bit more today and now just have a rolling chassis. Hopefully take the chassis to the sand blaster tomorrow and get it blasted and painted.
DSC_0138.JPG
DSC_0139.JPG
DSC_0140.JPG
DSC_0141.JPG
DSC_0142.JPG

Last couple of pics
DSC_0143.JPG
DSC_0144.JPG

DSC_0143.JPG

DSC_0144.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back