Filter to find a thread on shifting grinding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1973 fj40 F-155, 3 on the floor.

Hey all. I’m having a little gear grinding while shifting. I’m sure this has been discussed already but I’m having trouble filtering through the 3000+ discussions to find it. Any tips on that are welcome.

So, I’m driving in traffic and come to a stop and throw it in neutral. If I quickly have to put it back into first (or reverse) there Is a grinding(not sure that’s the right word) as the gears mesh. If I have time to hold the clutch down for 20 seconds or so, it shifts perfect. It’s as if the clutch and gear box are still spinning in neutral. Is this normal? My clutch master leaks into the cab so I’m going to replace the master and slave(wish me luck, never done that before 😬). What else should I be looking for and thinking about? Thank you.

No thread link, but generally that condition indicates a pilot bearing which is starting to hang up. Can also be caused by a clutch disk not releasing from either pressure plate or flywheel.
I'd start with an adjustment and if that won't fix it plan on replacing the complete clutch assembly.

No syncro’s on first and reverse, so it will grind if not slowly put into gear. It helps to put it in 2nd gear first, then back down to 1st. There are other things too that can cause issues, pilot bearing, leaking clutch master/ slave…

No thread link, but generally that condition indicates a pilot bearing which is starting to hang up. Can also be caused by a clutch disk not releasing from either pressure plate or flywheel.
I'd start with an adjustment and if that won't fix it plan on replacing the complete clutch assembly.
Pilot bearing. Ok, thank you. It shifts great between second and third so hopefully its just an adjustment. What kind of adjustment would I make? Lengthen or shorten the slave? Ive never done that before. Where would you recommend I start? Thanks.

No syncro’s on first and reverse, so it will grind if not slowly put into gear. It helps to put it in 2nd gear first, then back down to 1st. There are other things too that can cause issues, pilot bearing, leaking clutch master/ slave…
Thank you. I know my master leaks so Im replacing that and the slave. Any adjustments you recommend? Ill try to shift into 2nd first and see how that goes. It shifts great between second and third. Thank you.

Make the pushrod longer.
If that doesn't help, probably time to jerk the transmission out and have a look around...
(I say it so casually because I've worked in transmission shops for a good portion of my life) There's several places where old clutches show wear that aren't obvious to most. Once you open it up you get a chance to inspect for and rectify these conditions then it goes back together and works like 🧈. I look at it as an opportunity, an opportunity to refresh the clutch, but also clean and lubricate the moving parts, and check for a worn fork, worn pivot ball, linkage.
Pilot bearing needs to go it sounds like.
Check the surface that the throw out rides on and make sure that's smooth...
Once you put it back together it'll drive like a dream.

Make the pushrod longer.
If that doesn't help, probably time to jerk the transmission out and have a look around...
(I say it so casually because I've worked in transmission shops for a good portion of my life) There's several places where old clutches show wear that aren't obvious to most. Once you open it up you get a chance to inspect for and rectify these conditions then it goes back together and works like 🧈. I look at it as an opportunity, an opportunity to refresh the clutch, but also clean and lubricate the moving parts, and check for a worn fork, worn pivot ball, linkage.
Pilot bearing needs to go it sounds like.
Check the surface that the throw out rides on and make sure that's smooth...
Once you put it back together it'll drive like a dream.
It sounds intimidating to me but not beyond my abilities…. I hope. I know that the more I work on it myself, the more ill know. I plan to keep it forever, so I best get learning. I know ill have to replace the clutch plate eventually just due to normal wear and tear. Luckily, she drive great and has tons of power, so Im still feeling pretty lucky. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom