MY 40---sorting out the bits for 1hdt/h55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I finally got Ugly Betty out of paint and am now seriously working on the 1hdt bits

I have posted before and got a lot of help and info---much appreciated, but have not posted in a long time because there has been a long delay in the process of the paint and work trips etc.

So, just some update then. Wound up getting the bell housing new from BENO here on MUD---no luck anywhere else so had to cough up the $

now working on the drum brake
I think I can get a new HJ47 brake from oz as well as the longer output shaft I think I need

I have a h55 that is vacuum and will need to be converted to manual 4wd select for the install and also had no drum brake on it because it came out of a hj60 here in the UK that had rear parking brakes

so if I got it right I need the bearing retainer for drum brake with the 4 holes for the backing plate
a longer h55 output shaft for a drum brake
the drum itself and the inner brake bits

I was told there was fine and coarse outputs ---I am thinking as long as the splines match the drum I am good so I can use either as long as it is h55 and the splines match up? sound right?

I also ordered some lizard skin to spray the cowl and underneath just to insulate for noise and heat a little better

I saw one installed and although everyone says the drum makes the rear ds too short the one I saw actually looked ok to me

I cant just go out and find a later 40 rear end here----too rare so it is either the drum or the eldorado rear caliper solution

The engine install looks like it will be an over the winter job so hopefully by the time the daffodils are pushing up I will be listening to my turbo whine as I shift into 5th!;)
fj 001.jpg
fj 002.jpg
fj 003.jpg

Too bad you live so far away... I have a complete 40 rear end with e-brake for a 1981...

Sounds like a very interesting build. I can't wait to see how it goes!

eldorado

throw away the eldo calipers idea for e-brake .. they suck big time on that ..

:lol::lol::lol: yeah I figured

having seen the drum it seems my best solution short of shiiping over a complete rear end which actually may not be all that crazy by the time you add up all the bits and pieces and the shipping rates from oz plus customs duties!:mad:

Beautiful looking 40 mate! Where in Norfolk are you? I used to live in Kings Lynn

Looking forward to reading about the swap

On the parking brake issue I choose to get a 70 series rear axle. It has the best of everything minus the cost. Full float, disk if you find the right one, parking brake, and it does allow for a longer driveshaft, which is nice but a must.

Best of luck with the swap. :cheers:

70 series swap

On the parking brake issue I choose to get a 70 series rear axle. It has the best of everything minus the cost. Full float, disk if you find the right one, parking brake, and it does allow for a longer driveshaft, which is nice but a must.

Best of luck with the swap. :cheers:

That sounds promising---is the 70 series a straight swap ---same width and spring mount locations?

any particular years or models or just any 70 series?

post 1990

saw this in another post it says after 1990 will work but not much in the way of details

250+ Club

Buy a post 1990 70 series rear disk brake axle. Get a FF at the same time.

Norfolk

Beautiful looking 40 mate! Where in Norfolk are you? I used to live in Kings Lynn

Looking forward to reading about the swap

Thanks

Near Brandon Suffolk but on the Norfolk side of the border about 5 miles

been making some posts on the euro site and TLCOUK too:)

70 series

seems to be a lot of models of 70 series

bj70 lj70 hj70----confused and not wanting to get the wrong diff!

will any of these be a straight swap to a 40?

Gearing might be an issue, I realize that

seems to be a lot of models of 70 series

bj70 lj70 hj70----confused and not wanting to get the wrong diff!

will any of these be a straight swap to a 40?

Gearing might be an issue, I realize that

70 series diff is not straight bolt up. Same width axle but different spring mount position. 70 series wider than 40 series.:eek:

I have a complete 4 speed with splitcase/drumbrake here (3B input shaft). I can take the split case off and bring it with me to the UK in august. The offer on the hardtop sides is still standing too.

PM me on both subjects, i'm buried in work and i keep forgetting about the hardtop sides too...

Mark

I have a complete 4 speed with splitcase/drumbrake here (3B input shaft). I can take the split case off and bring it with me to the UK in august. The offer on the hardtop sides is still standing too.

PM me on both subjects, i'm buried in work and i keep forgetting about the hardtop sides too...

Mark

I will be PM'ing---thanks!! :clap:

land cruiser club

Check out Land Cruiser Owners' Club - The new home of Toyota Land Cruiser Enthusiasts • www.landcruiserclub.net if you havent already, its not as packed as this site, but has some good info.
If you need something shipped to the UK from the US, PM me and I'll be happy to help any way I can

yup I found the site you mentioned already

Thanks for the shipping offer, it is pretty good from the US though, and I have even shipped from oz but the shipping is spendy from there. I have at times felt I was between a rock and a hard place but then someone pipes up on the forums and helps out. and Ive met one or two people from the forums here and it has been a good experience---typical cruiser folks I guess:)

Now the majority of my build is behind me but this engine swap/getting a hardtop on are the last two major things so i can start getting out to events and wheeling and camping and using the 40 as I intended.

getting the 1hdt in will make the 40 exactly what i wanted though---looking forward to that

That sounds promising---is the 70 series a straight swap ---same width and spring mount locations?

any particular years or models or just any 70 series?

the 70 series we had here in the uk was a light duty landcruiser (bundera in oz). it's running gear was based on the hilux and therefore lighter (8") diffs, and lighter running gear.it was also coil sprung.

not much stuff of use but its handbrake set up on the rear drums is identical to bjs with drums sold to the rish market.

here's a picture of my former lj showing some of its running gear!
Image022.jpg

check my build thread on the HZ into a 78 FJ40 and you will see the mods needed to install the HDT into your truck including the rear FF from a HD 70 series.
that is the axle i would use, cut the spring purches off the axle, use dodge new purches and weld them on 1/2" further out on each side.
done.
but to make sure of the part number and the actual measurment then check the thread.

best of luck on the build

the 70 series we had here in the uk was a light duty landcruiser

I thought so but that confirms it so I need to stick to the "H's":cheers:

here's a picture of my former lj showing some of its running gear!
:eek:

build

check my build thread on the HZ into a 78 FJ40 and you will see the mods needed to install the HDT into your truck including the rear FF from a HD 70 series.

best of luck on the build

Thanks Crusher---if not for your post I probably wouldnt even be going down this road ---a fair few months ago when I was dreaming all this up I practically had it memorized.

Now I am trying to find all my options and weighing the costs/shipping/labor involved and learn a little in the process

There is a very good chance now that I have lucked into a split case, manual shift, drum brake for an h55 so I will probably go that route

I have found here it is not entirely easy to find the parts I need as the H70 series are not all that common or are just snapped up, I had to buy a 60 chassis to get the h55, and the shipping from the US and OZ can be a killer or not practical for large items. Also in the overseas market you have to be sure all is the same if you are counting on NAS info.

But thanks to the forum I think I am sorted out

I think eventually I will go with the ff disc rear but just to get it in and running again the drum will do and I have seen one done that way already and it was not too shabby at all. I think more opportunities will come my way as I get out to meetings and events with the clubs here

Thanks for all the help as usual and hopefully soon I get get the pics up and a vid of my diesel cruiser! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom