Builds Arctic 42" HDJ80 Build thread as promised.. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dsolutions.no
As promised from this thread ordering-custom-17x12-wheels-40-tires-minium-lift-thoughts-about-offset, here comes the build thread of my HDJ80.
As previously mentioned, I`m builing this rig like my previous "Arctic" builds.

Minimum lift and a massive amount of bodywork to obtain the best possible ride and keeping the suspension geometry as close to original as possible..
alot of you who have never seen this type of building must think we over here are crazy, but i for one swear to this method.. i use my cars everyday, winter and summer, vacations and everything.. so the ride must be good, if not better than OEM.. this is achievable but it requires some work and knowledge.. and you and your welding machine better be best buddies.. cause it is alot of bodywork involved..

Little about the rig and the parts going on it.

-1994 HDJ-80 on 315/75-16 aka 35" tires with no lift. just passed 200k miles. (hardly broke in) :) Axles and transfer have done 40k miles, swapped from a japanese donor vechicle..

-Stock suspension, actually quite low compared to other stock 80s, the springs have done their job and is going to be retired for a TJM 50mm kit from SleeOffroad.

-Upgraded brakes (Rotors and pads) from EBC, 6000 series, slotted and drilled rotors.
2012-11-15%2014.09.35%20(Large).jpg

-Many many more things, but in general she is very stock and very well maintained over the years.

Was going to fit 40" tires, but kept getting delayed on the delivery from summitracing, so i got 42x14.5-17" Goodyear MTR Kevlar fitted on custom 14x17" Marsh Racing Wheels with -90mm/-3.54" offset.
2013-01-07%2019.54.42%20(Large).jpg

Flares are custom ordered from Island of course, these are the "narrow 44" fender flares", got the base/flange separated from the flare itself so i can have more freedom in choosing the width of the flare. when im done i want approx .7" of the tire side (not tire pattern) on the outside of the flare, so they wont get ripped off in case i have to hug a tree or going thru some ice in river crossings.

this is how far I`ve come today..

Pre measuring. with just the fender flares, no base attached.
2013-01-18%2014.11.20%20(Large).jpg

2013-01-18%2014.11.53%20(Large).jpg

Right Fender off.. this shows just how extremely easy these cars are to build considering the space you have with detachable inner-fenders. previously cars i actually have modified the door hinges to get 38" tires on.. this is just fun..
2013-01-18%2016.26.45%20(Large).jpg

first draft. had to remove the exhaust since the wheel would come in conflict as well.. have to reroute it on the inside of the frame.. was going to build 3.5" anyway.
2013-01-18%2017.21.16%20(Large).jpg

2013-01-18%2018.48.43%20(Large).jpg

finished cutting for today, some more minor touches are to be made..
but remember this is with the spring removed and the car is resting on the bumper stop with the wheel fully turned to the right!..:bounce: i dont go any further now. this is just fun, with 1" Body Lift and i will never rub..
2013-01-18%2022.35.01.jpg

2013-01-18%2022.35.35.jpg

2013-01-18%2022.45.58%20(Large).jpg

2013-01-18%2022.46.32%20(Large).jpg

but this was the easy part.. and looking at the pics it just looks like I`m going crazy with the grinder, but believe me ther is is alot more to it.:) lot of welding, measuring and adjustments to be made. the thing that actually takes time here when the cutting is done is rustproofing the car and to be sure that everything is sealed and 100%..

im out, night here now.. back later after some sleep with more updates..

"We dont lift our cars, we just widen them" :cheers:

Awesome, keep on posting photos please as I want to see the entire process of the build. I was always wondering how much work you guys put in into making those Arctic Trucks and it looks like I will get the answer now. Flott jobb så langt, og holder opp det gode arbeidet. Cheers.

Extreme...but I like it!:beer::beer:

This is awesome because i am ready to cut my body as well. thanks for the pics and detailed write up so far!

This is awesome because i am ready to cut my body as well. thanks for the pics and detailed write up so far!

but remember, the cutting i do on this build is rather much for an 80.. on Iceland they lift 4" when putting on 38"s. and the cutting is minimal. but then again, i bet you wouldnt even have to cut into the firewall as i have to..

but for minimal job and maximum output, I`d recommend just do the work I have done to the inner fender, very easy and no problem making a new one with some sheet metal, and you can fit pretty big tires.. maybe just nipping at the bottom of the firewall where the wheel is likely to rub when turning fully to either side.

will start to modify the front today so we have fully turn the other way..:steer:

Yeah i plan on keeping the 4" lift i have and mounting my XML's. Just getting rid of whatever rubs and gets in the way of the tire and suspension cycling. I love the big tire/small lift/low C.O.G. concept.

Yeah i plan on keeping the 4" lift i have and mounting my XML's. Just getting rid of whatever rubs and gets in the way of the tire and suspension cycling. I love the big tire/small lift/low C.O.G. concept.

Its a great way to go, you will fit 38" without a problem with minimal amount of bodywork..

Great work, looking forward to watch the progress. How much are you plannig to lift the truck?

Góður dagur Magni.:)

Figure I go with 1"BL and TJM kit that lifts 50mm. So 3" total..

These are the kind of trucks that I drew on paper as a kid!

I live seeing what they can do in the snow. Will you keep the 200k oem stock springs?

Also, what kind of gearing does one use for 42's and daily use?

Thanks for taking the time to document as you work!!

(and thanks for a write-up in English !!)

Been a forum regular for 6 years, first time I have ever subscribed to a thread !!

Thanks Rbuljo

Last edited:
A truck like that would be super awesome to have but here in the south we would never have a use for it. Other than a few flurries in the mountains up north we don't even hear the word snow.

Gonna be a sweet build though. :cheers:

thanks for the positive feedback everybody.. :)

remember this method isnt purely ment for snow and sand.. it is a awesome method for mud and rocks as well, COG is low, and wheel inward travel/flex is maxxed out even when you havent raised the rig so much.. just imagine the travel you could have with a 2-4" suspension kit..;)

well, back on track, got a few updates..

it is like a disease this, I just keep on modyfing and cutting. but now i have a finished template on the front PS. will post some pictures when i have welded some.

Also I have to move the rear axle 6" backwards, noticed there is not alot of info on this. so will sum up a guide for you, this is not so scary as it sounds..;) I was hoping I could manage to just use asymetric spring relocators and move the rear axle 1.2" that way, but it came very clear that the fender flares i have does not allow for this. the reason I want to go that way is because if i want to keep the rear axle in the stock position i can NOT have full inward flex, and would have to lower the bump stops. I am not going to compromise in any way on this. full inward travel is king! when the front is done i can ride on the bumpstops and still not rub anywhere, so this is a nobrainer.. will order a new set of flares from Iceland that are build for relocating the axle, and then rebuild the entire rear wheel housing.

pics to come..

Awsome Rune, welcome in the 42" tires group.

Regards Ronny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom