cable diff lock?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.leinster4x4.ie
took of my factory e-locker, it is coroded i think it might be to far gone to be fixed! :( and they are so god damn expensive, the motor alone will cost over 850 euro!

somebody suggested a cable conversion!
i dont know anything about them?

some info would be great!

were do you get them?
how much?

and could you show me pics please!

good luck finding a cable locker there rare... and when you do find them there expensive, try japan 4x4, there going to have to sell you a whole axle

I think he may be talking about the cable conversion for the e-locker, assuming it's compatible with the cruiser locker motor. I ran one on my 4runner and it was a PITA to operate no matter what I tried. I used to have to put the truck in neutral and rock it back and forth while wiggling the t-handle; it sucked.

Good luck.

You have to go air to replace the toyota actuator. For the rear it is fairly easy, the front is an other story as space is missing

Downey used to make one. I put one in a e-locked taco axle in my 85 4Runner. It sucked, i had a hard time actuating it.

Here in Iceland many of those e-actuators have been replaced with air cilinders.

20100206_DEATHSTAR_06017_REAR_LOCKER.jpg

This is a pic of a air cilinder replacing the rear actuator. I belive the air cilinder comes with a threaded shaft, and the original shaft from the locker motor is shortened and threaded to bolt up on the cilinders shaft.

untitled.jpg

This is a rear axle of a 90 series, the actuator there is the same as the one on the 80 series front axle. I dont have a pic from a 80 series front axle.

To bad I dont have any more infos on these mods or what type cilinders are used.

Here in Iceland many of those e-actuators have been replaced with air cilinders.

20100206_DEATHSTAR_06017_REAR_LOCKER.jpg

This is a pic of a air cilinder replacing the rear actuator. I belive the air cilinder comes with a threaded shaft, and the original shaft from the locker motor is shortened and threaded to bolt up on the cilinders shaft.

untitled.jpg

This is a rear axle of a 90 series, the actuator there is the same as the one on the 80 series front axle. I dont have a pic from a 80 series front axle.

To bad I dont have any more infos on these mods or what type cilinders are used.

this looks gud! can you buy these? if so were?

I know few Machine shops here in Iceland that fit those air cilinders. Last time I heard the price was about 430 usd/325 euros. They all insist that you ship the third member to them and they ship it back ready to be installed again.

Then you have to figure out the wiring and air lines yourself, you will need a compressor, airtank and two air valves for each locker (not included in the price)

I´m sure any proper machine shop can make you one of those.

Downey use to make a kit. Someone on mud posted a home made kit directions...It's somewhere here in the 80's section.

I have the 80 series lockers in my FJ40. I was able to purchase the kit from Downy. I guess I need to take some pictures of how mine are set up, because I am very happy with how they are working. I ended up making a spring-loaded lever that works really well. I mean, it doesn't just slide right in because the splines need to be lined up in the differential, but I would say that I am happier with how mine is setup than with my Dad's 40 with Air Lockers. He has busted a few air lines, where I have had no problems with the cable. If Downy is not going to make these anymore, I was actually thinking about getting permission to reproduce them with the spring-loaded actuator handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom