Diff Lock Light staying on? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 TLC Factory Lockers w/button and 7-Pin mod done many moons ago

beachcruisindemo-Large.jpg

Made it a habit to cycle the lockers frequently whenever I was on loose terrain and they always worked as they should :)

She's been hibernating since Winter, but I brought her out to play a couple days ago for a trip out to Montauk Point :cool:

Hit the diff lock button and I could hear the relay in the kick panel click, but didn't get the Center Diff Lock light right away 😕

Had to cycle it a few times, but it finally loosened up after a couple of minutes and all was good to go again (I figure just sticky from sitting so long) :meh:

Did a few figure 8's in the sand locking and unlocking with ease :banana:

On the way back home from the lighthouse, I noticed the rear Diff Lock Light flickering at high speeds (around 90mph) o_O

It wasn't the usual steady blinking light you get when waiting for it to engage, but more of a random flash flicker 🤔

Slowed down to the speed limit and it stopped, then noticed it happening whenever I hit a bump or let off the gas suddenly :rolleyes:
Stopped for gas and when I started her up again, the Rear Diff Lock light was on (weird) :oops:
Never had this happen without the Center Locker engaged, so I did a few figure 8's to confirm whether or not it was really locked and it wasn't :meh:

Hit the Center Diff Lock button, turned the magic dial and it locked as usual, but when I unlocked it, the Rear DIff Lock light remained on :doh:

Did a few more figure 8's and confirmed everything was unlocked, then drove home with the light on and put her back in the garage :confused:

Haven't got a chance to do any diag work, but figured I'd post up to see if anyone here had a similar issue :hmm:

Last edited:
1997 TLC Factory Lockers w/button and 7-Pin mod done many moons ago

beachcruisindemo-Large.jpg

Made it a habit to cycle the lockers frequently whenever I was on loose terrain and they always worked as they should :)

She's been hibernating since Winter, but I brought her out to play a couple days ago for a trip out to Montauk Point :cool:

Hit the diff lock button and I could hear the relay in the kick panel click, but didn't get the Center Diff Lock light right away 😕

Had to cycle it a few times, but it finally loosened up after a couple of minutes and all was good to go again (I figure just sticky from sitting so long) :meh:

Did a few figure 8's in the sand locking and unlocking with ease :banana:

On the way back home from the lighthouse, I noticed the rear Diff Lock Light flickering at high speeds (around 90mph) o_O

It wasn't the usual steady blinking light you get when waiting for it to engage, but more of a random flash flicker 🤔

Slowed down to the speed limit and it stopped, then noticed it happening whenever I hit a bump or let off the gas suddenly :rolleyes:
Stopped for gas and when I started her up again, the Rear Diff Lock light was on (weird) :oops:
Never had this happen without the Center Locker engaged, so I did a few figure 8's to confirm whether or not it was really locked and it wasn't :meh:

Hit the Center Diff Lock button, turned the magic dial and it locked as usual, but when I unlocked it, the Rear DIff Lock light remained on :doh:

Did a few more figure 8's and confirmed everything was unlocked, then drove home with the light on and put her back in the garage :confused:

Haven't got a chance to do any diag work, but figured I'd post up to see if anyone here had a similar issue :hmm:

Sounds to me like a wiring harness grounding out due to flexing due to wind or movement.

Check your harness to the rear axle. Could have rodent damage if it's been sitting.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like a wiring harness grounding out due to flexing due to wind or movement.

Check your harness to the rear axle. Could have rodent damage if it's been sitting.
Impossible! There are no rodents in NYC...

The mechanical switch that is in the axle itself has been a source of electrical issues for me. From memory the same switch is used front, center and rear. If it were me I'd buy one just to have on hand and troubleshoot this first while it was being shipped.
Chris

The mechanical switch that is in the axle itself has been a source of electrical issues for me. From memory the same switch is used front, center and rear. If it were me I'd buy one just to have on hand and troubleshoot this first while it was being shipped.
Chris
agree with the above. Take the switch out and give a good clean or replace (27mm wrench).
They can get hung up causing the light to stay on when actually off and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom