My Rear Tyre Carrier build up - woooh!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok ok ....

I realise that I'm definitely not the first...
But I'm sooo... excited!!!!

before I begin... thanks go out to Wildyoats for his original Rear Tyre thread (can't find ih8mud link but here's link to his site).
I'd also like to thank all the other people who cared to share their rear tyre carrier solutions whether it was a complete build up or an aftermarket or just a mod. They all helped me.

Anyway, as you'll see I basicly went with Wildyoats idea of using a spindle for the hinge. What I used was a trailer stub axle with a flangeless hub.

I bought my steel from a local place here in Sydney (Edcon steel).

I have the original cruiser rear bumper so I needed to make a hole in the corner for the stub axle to poke through.
img26387313182yo0.jpg

Also used 75x50x8 angle to build a brace where the stub axle could be welded to. At first I intended to weld the angle to a plate that could be bolted on to the chassis but when i got going I just tacked the plate including angle to the chassis and it just made sense to just weld it, seeing that everything fit.
img26326862705lf9.jpg
img26417328765vt7.jpg
img26427339295kf6.jpg

img26447355197fd6.jpg

It may be a bit deceiving but it wasn't that easy to get the length of the angle and the actual angle to cut it. I guess I was lucky on the first go so I didn't have to go back again and again. (or maybe it's because I studied the angle Wildyoats used?)
img26527379647rf7.jpg

img26537389232un3.jpg

Anyway, once the angle was welded on, it was just a matter of cutting a little bit off the existing brace before putting the plastic bumper back on.
img26451963972rl8.jpg
img26487370768xz7.jpg

Then on goes the hub and it's time to measure the arm.
I used 50x50x2.5 for this. Originally I bought a 75x50x2.5(RHS) but when I saw it, I realised that it was overkill.
img2661pb4.jpg

img26627454717fh9.jpg

img26767481557dx4.jpg

Once the arm was welded, I took a notch out to get the bend in it. Just like Wildyoats did in his build.
img26817513481xx3.jpg
img26857539089tr9.jpg
img26897569226jc5.jpg
img26927578349el1.jpg
img26957591563sm4.jpg

Then I took my spare out of the boot and started sizing up where I wanted my tyre to sit. Basically I wanted easy access to the latch which I plan to mount on the bumper, so the tyre needs to sit just above or exactly at the top edge of the bumper. My tyre is 30" in diameter so the centre would be 15" above the edge of the bumper. I then added another inch in case I went up a size later.

Tacked on the vertical support off the arm and then did one horizontally out from there for the wheel itself. I just guesstimated it.
img26951557332ym3.jpg

I'm going to have the square tube go through the middle of the tyre.

How have people fabed up the tyre mount?
I'm thinking a couple of angles above and below the tube. I was thinking maybe have it bolted on so I could maybe adjust how far the tyre sat on but I'm worried about the tyre flying off. Maybe have a pin going through the tube as well like the tow hitch?
img27031322493za4.jpg

img27021715062kv7.jpg

Anyway, I'll update with more pics when I get my latch etc.
Anyone know where I can get latches like the rocklogic 4x4 latch in Sydney, Australia?

Last edited:
Subscribed!

Looks like you are well on your way.

Good luck.

-KK

great work so far!
A good way to do the tire mount is to cut out a triangle from some plate, then you can run metric bolts through and use lug nuts to hold it on.

I'd like to build a swingout like this on my truck- so much better than the spare under the belly! Adding it to the list, I guess.

Very nice work and execution. This is exactly the route my brother needs/wants to take. Saved. Also check how luke of 4x4 labs makes the adjustable tire connect. Again, nice fabbin!!

That is really nice work. Excelent job.

Good job! But, why would you want to keep the original plastic, defenseless bumper? I could understand if it was a show vehicle, but for off roading and even as a DD, I would think that you'd want more protection. I commend the effort you're putting into the project and sharing it with all of us, I just don't understand the reasoning for keeping the plastic bumper, but I'm with you for getting the spare out from underneath! - My .02

Good job! But, why would you want to keep the original plastic, defenseless bumper? I could understand if it was a show vehicle, but for off roading and even as a DD, I would think that you'd want more protection. I commend the effort you're putting into the project and sharing it with all of us, I just don't understand the reasoning for keeping the plastic bumper, but I'm with you for getting the spare out from underneath! - My .02

Some people just aren't as hardcore as others I guess :meh:

I for one want to keep my plastic for as long as I possibly can :)

Either until it gets torn off or until I win the lotto and can afford pre-fabbed bumpers with protection all around :doh:

Some people just aren't as hardcore as others I guess :meh:

I for one want to keep my plastic for as long as I possibly can :)

Either until it gets torn off or until I win the lotto and can afford pre-fabbed bumpers with protection all around :doh:

Nice work!

X2 Rear bumpers are up to $2K. That's a lot of dough. You can almost buy another 80 for that price. If I could get the rear tire out from underneath the truck and add a hitch to the 4 holes in the rear cross member, it would solve a lot of my wheeling woes. The factory hitch and tire below are a PITA offroad.

Last edited:
Nice Job!!! You got me think'n. Are you going to fab in a swing out/in stop so it will not slam into the body?

I hear what you're saying however firstly I don't have the dosh and secondly if I was to get a replacement I'd want to fab it up myself, but I don't have the skills yet.... I only just got my mig welder.

Nice Job!!! You got me think'n. Are you going to fab in a swing out/in stop so it will not slam into the body?

Not intending on a stop as such...
My intention is to use a strut of some sort... similar to the one under the bonnet of the cruiser.

gasstrutsdk8.jpg

And here's my original design:

And the one I'll probably go with:

Last edited:
Where did you get the spindle kit?

last time I checked, Slee and Rockstopmer had them, but I can't find them now :confused:

I know Northern Tools has a ton of spindles to choose from, but no carrier for the bearings :hmm:

bought it from an online store here in Australia.

Martin's Trailer Parts
from the menu choose "hub complete" then "hubs" then scroll down till you find "C0131 - Hub : Steel-noflange :std".

I hear what you're saying however firstly I don't have the dosh and secondly if I was to get a replacement I'd want to fab it up myself, but I don't have the skills yet.... I only just got my mig welder.

It makes sense to me now. You're developing some good skills, especially being a Crusier owner! Bumpers, sliders - all kinds of possibilities. I think I might take me a welding class or 2, sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the inspiration!

It looks great! I only would suggest cutting out a gusset plate and welding it on top of the arm over to the spindle. I have no numbers to back it up but, I was always told to reinforce where ever you can with gusset plates. After seeing how my spare tire bounces around when traveling down wash-board roads, I'm glad I put the extra (over-kill) plate in.

It looks great! I only would suggest cutting out a gusset plate and welding it on top of the arm over to the spindle. I have no numbers to back it up but, I was always told to reinforce where ever you can with gusset plates. After seeing how my spare tire bounces around when traveling down wash-board roads, I'm glad I put the extra (over-kill) plate in.

X2. Check this out:

Gusset Plate Types

Looks Great! I agree about the need to gusset. Can never be too carefull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom