1978 FJ40 Stock Restoration – 15 Years Long (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
van.jpg

Hey, that's not a FJ40! No, but pictures make posts much more interesting and the Mitsubishi is one of the coolest vehicles I ever owned. Arguably, it was as fun to drive as a Land Cruiser, but I'll get to the disco van later.

[1978] First let me go back 35 years. In 1978 I was walking the Toyota lot with my dad. My dad is driving a VW Rabbit but it's mom that needs something more modern than her well-worn VW Squareback. While dad is insisting to the salesman that he's only looking, I've noticed something amazing, a 1978 Land Cruiser. It has these cool-looking, curved windows in the back and just looks plain neato-bosso in my 70's vernacular. Even my no-nonsense dad comments, "pretty neat" and that was a lot coming from him. I ogle it for as long as I can, breaking away just before I know he's about to say, "come on, that's not what we’re here for."

Mom ends up getting a Corona. I think it's the coolest car she could have. It's got air conditioning, an automatic transmission, all sorts of buttons and switches and soft velour seats. I just got my license that year and need a car as well but I know there's no way I'm leaving that lot with a car; I've only got about $700 saved from working at my dad's business and mowing the yard and I eventually find a good deal on a '72 Vega, black with fat, dragster-like tires in the rear. It set me back $500 and I spent hours poring over the JC Whitney catalog wondering what I can spend the rest of my few dollars on while the image of the Land Cruiser faded. My friend's Road Runner convinces me that muscle cars - not "jeeps" - are the cool cars and I move on. The Vega serves me well in high school, its aluminum block never giving me any trouble. I'm sure the neighbors hated its obnoxiously loud Thrush muffler, but to me it was awesome. My girlfriend liked it too and who's going to argue with that?

[1979] I sell it a year later, the summer before college began, and never own another car until 1984 when my dad gives me his 1980 Olds Cutlass Brougham as a graduation present of sorts.

[1985] I don’t keep the Cutlass long trading it for a slightly used Fiero. About now you’re thinking, "this guy picks a Vega and now a Fiero, could he be any worse at picking cars?" Well, maybe. However, neither the Vega nor the Fiero ever gave me a single problem and at the time I bought them, they were quite popular. I took care of them and they performed well for me. Which brings me to the worst car I've ever owned, an '89 Jeep Cherokee.

[1990] I was living in Hawaii in 1990 and driving by a car dealership I spot a beautiful, black Jeep Cherokee Limited. The Jeep was loaded with "power everything" and leather. I parted with the Fiero and began to learn what it’s like to own a truly cheap - not inexpensive - but cheap car. The clear coat starts to come off not long after I buy it and I learn it's to be expected with that model and year. The paint also starts to fade pretty quickly. Over the next several years I have to replace the radiator, water pump, alternator, the battery way too many times, and a host of other parts. The adhesive-backed trim all fell off and even the headliner came down, all of this before even reaching 75,000 miles. It also did something I was unaccustomed to; it stranded me, at least three times that I remember, twice requiring a tow to the shop for repairs. I tried to like that car and being the first new car I'd ever purchased was determined to keep it even if it did look three times its age.

[1998] In 1998 I was living on Whidbey Island, Washington. I see a FJ40 Land Cruiser and the memories of the parking lot episode with my dad come back. Now I start to want one and out of the blue a buddy I used to fly with calls me. He's in California, owns a 1978 FJ40 and needs to sell it for a down payment on a house in San Jose. He's put a lot of mechanical work into it and figured I might be interested. I am. I fly to San Jose and we spend the evening reminiscing about all the fun we had earlier in our careers, before Tailhook '91. The next day he introduces me to the manual choke, I pay him, and I'm on my way back to Washington. My friend's never had any issues with reliability though his trips have been short and in fair weather. A mere 950 miles and some very bad weather; what could go wrong? I’m on the road at noon and figure I can be home sometime around breakfast the next day if I drive through the night.

SkippyFJ40.jpg

This is the only picture I have of the FJ40 in California right before I bought it. The top was off but was included in the sale. The Polaroid scan is poor quality but is the only one that shows the custom bumper with tow bar, winch, and lamps. More to follow...
van.jpg
SkippyFJ40.jpg

Last edited:
Is that first photo from Yokosuka? Atsugi? :)

Nice '78. Did it come from Stevens Creek Toyota? I wonder if the VIN is close to my '78, which I bought from Stevens Creek in '77. I made that 800 mile drive in the 40 many times. Your feet get mighty hot up around Lake Shasta and Weed in the middle of August. :D

Yes, I took the picture in Yokosuka just before I sold it. I bought the van in town and the owner had installed a console over the windshield. The console had a stereo, speakers, and several switches. One of the switches operated multi-colored, flashing lights inside the van the another spun a disco ball that hung from the ceiling. The van could turn on a dime and you sat right over the front axle. My wife and I had some "SUPER, HAPPY, FUN TIME" in that van, as they say on Japanese TV!

I don't know what dealer the FJ40 came from. I'm curious how to do a title search but haven't researched how to initiate one.

Do you have any of the original documentation on the truck (Owners Manual, window sticker, etc)? How about license plate frames? Lube stickers?

I only have the Owner's Manual and Warranty Booklet. Though both are a little water stained, neither has any markings apart from the first owner calculating his gas mileage. (It averaged 11 MPG.) It's a May '78 and the VIN is 278832.

[1998] My calculations were a little off. What starts off as a merely uncomfortable ride starts to go bad fast. There is a leak somewhere in the exhaust and/or a fuel problem because I'm quickly getting a headache from the fumes. Nothing I can't power through. It's dark and raining as I get into Oregon. The rain is relentless and I notice more moisture on the inside of the windshield – more than the usual condensation I keep wiping off with a t-shirt - now almost a trickle in one place. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from and about the time I'm wishing my wipers were a little more efficient and the defogger actually worked, something happens and the dash lights go out. Argh. No big deal, I don't need to see the gauges anyway; the temp gauge is broken and it's impossible for me to exceed the speed limit. We're rolling along and my headache is now just a steady throb keeping time with the wipers.

As I'm going up the steep inclines towards Grant's Pass the Cruiser starts to struggle. She begins to slow and shudder and eventually, I'm climbing up I-5 at a dangerously slow 35 mph with the pedal floored. I pull off the Interstate and let some fresh oxygen resupply my brain while I think. The air is loaded with moisture and condensate has formed everywhere. I locate a pay phone and let my wife know I'm going to be a little late. The phone book lists Rosedale as the nearest Toyota dealer so I limp into town, driving on the shoulder with my hazard lights flashing, and find a room for the night.

The following morning I'm at the Toyota dealer when they unlock the door. The service technician understands my predicament and starts inspecting her right away. After only an hour of labor charges I'm back on the road, now cruising along at 55 mph again. The aux fuel tank plumbing was buggered and the technician only had to correct the line and disconnect the aux tank to get me on my way, for now. Eventually, the same thing starts all over again with the car shuddering and slowing. I pull over to the shoulder and look under the hood as if I will be able to identify something obviously wrong. I begin to wonder if I'm running out of fuel as the aux tank setup has a toggle for the fuel gauge to switch between sending units. I remove the gas cap - which was rather difficult to get off - for no apparent reason. Nonetheless, the car starts right up and I'm moving at highway speeds again. This repeats itself again later in the trip but a coincidental stop to get fuel relieves the symptoms. I don't know exactly what is wrong but I learn that removing and replacing the cap to apparently relieve a partial vacuum in the tank while reciting a petition to the Lord for traveling mercies provides a temporary fix. I should have prayed before leaving on the trip rather than waiting until I'm in a bind.

I finally make it home thankful that I never needed a tow. My wife, eight-months pregnant with our first child, comes out and is underwhelmed with my investment but tells me "it looks cool" to make me feel good. First thing I did was replace the gas cap and I've never had that same problem since. I also removed the custom bumper with its associated accoutrements and picked up an old OEM from a parts yard, dropped the aux tank, and ground off a hitch receiver welded to the rear. Then traded the white spoked wheels and oversized tires for OEM wheels and 30 x 9.5 tires.

[1999] This photo is how she looked when I drove her to a storage shed in 1999 where she would sit for the next 10 years while I worked overseas. I missed the FJ40 but I had other cars to keep me occupied while away...
TN-FJ40.jpg

Last edited:
A small squeegee comes in handy. The foam in the heater needs to be replaced. Fixing the air leaks will resolve the defrost issue (while you're at it, clean the core).

A welder can resolve most exhaust leaks.

:cheers:

Plumbing for the Man-A-Free/Con Fer aux tank is basic, and a ton off info is here on Mud about it.

Last edited:
My calculations were a little off. What starts off as a merely uncomfortable ride starts to go bad fast. There is a leak somewhere in the exhaust and/or a fuel problem because I'm quickly getting a headache from the fumes. Nothing I can't power through. It's dark and raining as I get into Oregon. The rain is relentless and I notice more moisture on the inside of the windshield – more than the usual condensation I keep wiping off with a t-shirt - now almost a trickle in one place. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from and about the time I'm wishing my wipers were a little more efficient and the defogger actually worked, something happens and the dash lights go out. Argh. No big deal, I don't need to see the gauges anyway; the temp gauge is broken and it's impossible for me to exceed the speed limit. We're rolling along and my headache is now just a steady throb keeping time with the wipers.

As I'm going up the steep inclines towards Grant's Pass the Cruiser starts to struggle. She begins to slow and shudder and eventually, I'm climbing up I-5 at a dangerously slow 35 mph with the pedal floored. I pull off the Interstate and let some fresh oxygen resupply my brain while I think. The air is loaded with moisture and condensate has formed everywhere. I locate a pay phone and let my wife know I'm going to be a little late. The phone book lists Rosedale as the nearest Toyota dealer so I limp into town, driving on the shoulder with my hazard lights flashing, and find a room for the night.

The following morning I'm at the Toyota dealer when they unlock the door. The service technician understands my predicament and starts inspecting her right away. After only an hour of labor charges I'm back on the road, now cruising along at 55 mph again. The aux fuel tank plumbing was buggered and the technician only had to correct the line and disconnect the aux tank to get me on my way, for now. Eventually, the same thing starts all over again with the car shuddering and slowing. I pull over to the shoulder and look under the hood as if I will be able to identify something obviously wrong. I begin to wonder if I'm running out of fuel as the aux tank setup has a toggle for the fuel gauge to switch between sending units. I remove the gas cap - which was rather difficult to get off - for no apparent reason. Nonetheless, the car starts right up and I'm moving at highway speeds again. This repeats itself again later in the trip but a coincidental stop to get fuel relieves the symptoms. I don't know exactly what is wrong but I learn that removing and replacing the cap to apparently relieve a partial vacuum in the tank while reciting a petition to the Lord for traveling mercies provides a temporary fix. I should have prayed before leaving on the trip rather than waiting until I'm in a bind.

I finally make it home thankful that I never needed a tow. My wife, eight-months pregnant with our first child, comes out and is underwhelmed with my investment but tells me "it looks cool" to make me feel good. First thing I did was replace the gas cap and I've never had that same problem since. I also removed the custom bumper with its associated accoutrements and picked up an old OEM from a parts yard, dropped the aux tank, and ground off a hitch receiver welded to the rear. Then traded the white spoked wheels and oversized tires for OEM wheels and 30 x 9.5 tires. This photo is how she looked when I drove her to a storage shed in 1999 where she would sit for the next 10 years while I worked overseas. I missed the FJ40 but I had other cars to keep me occupied while away...

Cool story...keep it going :D

Great storytelling. Keep it up.

Subscribed. :cool:

[2000] I've got to give credit to the guy I bought the FJ40 from. He did all the research and found a solid one to start with. What you can't see in the picture is that he worked on her a lot and spent some time, money, and effort getting the TX-registered Cruiser CA legal.

Removed aftermarket tach and repaired electrical short
Repaired clogged radiator
Replaced fiberglass top
Replaced all hoses
Removed rust and painted battery tray and radiator support
Replaced all seals and gaskets from Birfields out
Removed bad header and installed Downey street-legal header, CA-spec OEM carb, electronic distributor, ABV and EGR.
Installed sun visors
Replaced choke, fresh air, and warm air cables
Returned ignited wiring to original
Serviced all fluids and brakes

Good job Skippy!

I really dug the disco van but my wife usually needed it and I preferred to take the train to work than fight the traffic around Yokosuka. Japan is a quirky place and I loved it, loved the people and loved the stuff you'd never see in the US. Where else can you go to a vending machine for a cold beer?

I don't recall ever seeing a Land Cruiser while in Japan nor would I want one as a daily driver there. It just wouldn't be that practical and the fuel cost to drive it would be ridiculous. I'd take a micro van or sub-compact there any day, but that's me. I did spot some Land Cruisers in other Pacific Rim countries. Here's a random shot from somewhere in Australia. Sorry I can remember where I took it, maybe outside Darwin?

AUT_0977.jpg

I finish my two years in Japan and the family, now four of us, are headed to Germany. That's right, while you were reading the previous stuff, we had two children. Of course, there was a lot more that happened while I lived in Japan. I travelled throughout the Pacific and have a metric butt-tonne of sea stories from Thailand to the Philippines and places in between, but they'll have to remain securely locked away for now.
AUT_0977.jpg

[2001] We move to Germany and all I know about my Cruiser is that I send $30/month to a storage company to keep her safe. We spend five years tooling around Europe in my wife's car, a 2002 Volvo wagon while I finally unload the Cherokee and buy my second new car, a MINI Cooper S. There was no speed limit on the autobahn between my house and where I worked and that was one fun car to drive. After owning the AMC Jeep, I was gobsmacked at the quality of these two cars. The build quality, reliability, and ergonomics were unbelievable after driving the disappointing AMC. I'm not anti-Jeep and have nothing to base my disappointment on but the one Jeep I owned. It's also not fair to compare a 1989 American-made car with a 2002 Volvo or 2004 MINI. My wife still drives the Volvo. It did require a new transmission after 150,000 miles but is still going strong with nearly 200,000 miles on her. A lot of those miles were rough ones too in Poland, Estonia, Hungary, Slovakia, and the Czech Republic.

[2006] Our Western European fun has come to an end and my Cruiser waits patiently for my return. It's been seven years (and $2500 in storage fees) since I left her. But wait! I'm offered another tour in Eastern Europe and can't pass it up. Instead of extending the Cruiser's solitary confinement, I contract to have her shipped to a long-time friend in TN. He receives the Cruiser and after some tuning she passes inspection and is registered and on the road again. My friend takes great care of the Cruiser for the next three years, keeping her garaged and rarely driving her.

[2009] We spend more years working and traveling in Eastern Europe. My kids are now nine and 11 and have barely lived in the US. They don't understand the Imperial measuring system or recognize US currency. Yikes! I finally retire after 25 freaking awesome years in the Navy and am ready to see my Cruiser. My buddy trailers the FJ40 and makes the six-hour drive to drop her off.

[2013] Because of circumstances beyond my control it sat in the driveway for four years and I have to make the decision whether to sell it and move on to another hobby or get her into a more drivable condition. I go back and forth and finally take a bunch of pictures to post on eBay. The more pictures I take the more I realize what a great Cruiser it is, I decide to keep it, and finally pull the trigger to start a medium-scale restoration. Here is how it looked before starting the tear down.

The car looks good in pictures but what you can't see it that a PO painted it and removed very few items, masking off things instead. The paint has now started to crack and peel. The rain gutter is nearly rusted through in places and a host of things don't work; water temp gauge, windshield washer, turn signals, dash lighting, carb fan, and so on.

I know this has been laborious but I'm getting to the good stuff. Just trying to convey the anticipation of buying a FJ40 and not being able to really enjoy it for 15 YEARS!
DSCN1208.jpg
DSCN1211.jpg
DSCN1212.jpg
DSCN1216.jpg
DSCN1218.jpg

Bump for more details on the resto. What's the plan?

Bump for more details on the resto. What's the plan?

Excellent question. I waffled back and forth on what to do. I leaned more towards selling the Cruiser and using the money for another hobby. It was my wife that convinced me to keep it. That and so many people that saw it would say, "what a cool car." I decided to at least have it repainted and lurking here for a year prepared me to tackle a medium-scale refresh.

I got three quotes on taking the car down to bare metal, removing dents and such, priming, and painting factory blue. I also had a long list of requirements for the shop to perform: welding up numerous (~30) PO-drilled holes throughout from an aftermarket soft top, sealing the aux tank filler hole, replacing missing rivets where the hitch had been mounted, replacing the tire-carrier bushings, and repairing the leaking gas tank among other things. The quotes ranged from $3500 to $5000 without touching the top and doors. The top is another project altogether.

I was shocked, but maybe that's because I haven't priced anything like that before. I went with the middle-estimate shop because it was recommended by several people that had used them before. Having watched the process, I might actually do it myself if I ever have the opportunity and can budget the time. I budgeted another $1500 in parts, a tailgate, and bikini top. Also found out how expensive parts can be. I dig being able to order almost anything from SOR, but I absolutely hate the unpredictable shipping charges. I've since ordered from several other vendors and MUD members. Once I get the car back I can then start fixing problems as I reassemble it.

Here are some pics of the disassembly. Almost no rust, just 35 years of weathering and some overspray from the previous paint job.
DSCN1370.jpg
DSCN1371.jpg
DSCN1372.jpg
DSCN1375.jpg
DSCN1377.jpg

Great story, super clean truck, one question, did you get to spend much time in the Phils before the base's closed? This place was really nice back then, a few years ago I visited the bases and was very disappointed to see the condition they are in now...Spent most of my career flying out of Okinawa with VMGR-152....keep up the tale..Lee

The bezel is on correctly in both pics!! Nice job! :)

Lovin the story .... Your wife sounds like she has the same enthusiasm toward the truck as mine does lol

She wasn't too excited about it at first. Ironically, she's the one who convinced me not to sell it. She thinks it's "pretty cool" now.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

medium-scale refresh.

Medium scale...hehehehe...is there such a thing with a '40? :p
I bet the more you tear down...the more you will tear down...but you really do have an excellent ol' girl to start with! Wish mine was in that good o' shape :D

Hope you get to enjoy your cruiser after all these years, they really are 'keepers'! Great story and thread.

Skip

You are a patient man! I saw my first FJ40 in high school in 1980 (had ambulance doors and already had giant rust holes in it - Michigan) and bought a '78 in 1990 and have enjoyed it ever since. Great story and you have a great looking truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom