FJ40 Gauge Restoration Pkg (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, new member here. My name is Daniel Burns, and I own a small gauge restoration business called gauge marks. For the past few years we have been specializing in 2nd gen Camaro and Trans Am gauge repair and restoration. We offer DIY gauge restoration pkgs as well as complete in-house service. We have recently addes 66-67 Chevelle, and 73-77 Chevelle, and are doing the gauge refacing for the new HURST Performance Trans Am as seen in the Oct. '11 issue of High Performance Pontiac magazine.

One of our customers (who is a member here) suggested that there may be an interest in DIY gauge restoration pkgs for FJ40. Another member (trollhole) also contacted me and sent in a set of gauges for us to look over. After some time spent with doing new artwork for the gauges, we feel like this is a project we would be interested in persuing if there is enough interest.

The DIY package would consist of the markings and lettering for all the gauges in the FJ40 gauge package. We do not use any paints or dyes, but rather use individual letters and markings that are cut from vinyl, then prearranged in an easy to apply set. Without going into a lot of detail in this post, there is a video on the front page of the gaugemarks.com website that shows the application procedure.

Below is a pic of our first mockup of the new artwork on a sample board. We still have some minor tweeking to do on the letter sizing, as well as add the SPEEDmph lettering. We have drawn new artwork from an original set of gauges so that the design will be correct in every detail.

I would like to ask for input from members here to see if their is an interest in this DIY restoration package. The package price is yet to be determined, but should be < $100.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Comments are welcomed and appreciated!
Sicerely,
Daniel

The blue/green tint of the lettering is due to the fluorescent lighting in the shop. Actual color is white.

gaugemarksFJ40gaugesfirstmockup.jpg

UPDATE 9/05/11
This restoration package is now available. We are also working on artwork for other models to include the 50 amp gauge, ,metric speedometer markings, international symbols, and FJ tachometer. Inhouse restorations also available. Please feel free to contact us with questions or comments. Thanks for all the input!

Daniel

FJ40gaugerestorationbygaugemarks.jpg

UPDATE 10/25/11

Latest gauge marks package available with metric speedometer, 50 amp gauge, mid-late 70's hashes, and international markings instead of OIL FUEL TEMP AMPS lettering.

In-house restoration service is available for those that prefer to have their gauges restored professionally. Please feel free to contact me for more info.
Thank you,
Daniel

FJ40 gauge set restored with white painted faces and black markings

FJ40metricgaugepanelwhitepaintedfaces.jpg

FJ40metricgaugeclusterwhitepaintedfacesandpanel.jpg

Last edited:
looks beautiful. will there be different options for the different cluster configurations?

Daniels Guage Marks are kick ass! You know you cant clean up the white on your gauges. Between refacing the guages and painting the needles, that really makes the gauges POP!

I highly recommend this for any FJ40 gauge cluster

Thanks for the quick and positive replies! Feedback from actual users is always important when developing new packages. Within the next 7-10 days we should have all of the artwork revisions completed and have pics of a completely restored gauge set.

nuclearlemon said:
looks beautiful. will there be different options for the different cluster configurations?
We will be more than happy to look at other configurations once we finish the artwork for this design.

FJsnoozer said:
Great! Will want this when I do the www.cruiseruser.com setup.
I took a quick peek at your site. Very nice setup with the aftermarket gauges and mounting plate. We may be able to also help you with a refacing package for the aftermarket gauges that will give a stock look to the new gauges. That's something we can discuss later down the road if you are interested. Thanks!

Shes Mad said:
Daniels Guage Marks are kick ass!...
Thanks Roger. I appreciate the props! Glad you're still happy with your Camaro gauge restoration. I appreciate you bringing the FJ40 to my attention!

Trollhole said:
Nice job.

Thanks Marshall. I appreciate you sending the gauges for us to use for artwork. I will have these gauges restored within the next few days. I will post pics when they are completed!

Please keep the comments coming. If there are any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks again!
Daniel

Love it- too bad my side of the world uses KMH........

Pete

The set that we used for artwork only had the MPH markings. We will be more than happy to do artwork for the other sets as well once the FJ40 program gets launched. Thanks again for the replies.

I found this link to pics of gauges for varous years. Does this cover the other gauge sets that some of you are referrring to?
Thanks again,
Daniel

Would you offer the speedometer alone and would black markings be an option for a white faced gauge? I wanted to do a white speedo to match my other gauges and this is a perfect solution.

Would you offer the speedometer alone and would black markings be an option for a white faced gauge? I wanted to do a white speedo to match my other gauges and this is a perfect solution.

Yes we will be able to offer the markings in flat black. Purchasing the speedometer markings alone is an option, but it will be a much better overall value to purchase a complete set. We should have the completed sets and price structure setup within the next few days.
Thank you,
Daniel

Is there a specific color of silver used on the outer gauge bezel for the FJ40? How impotrant is it that the color be "correct"? I plan to show pics of a completely restored gauge set within the next few days. We may just use one of the silvers at the shop for this first mockup if that is acceptable.

The old saying goes that "you never get a second chance to make a first impression". I want to make things right here the first time if possible. Thanks for all the feedback!
Daniel

Is there a specific color of silver used on the outer gauge bezel for the FJ40? How impotrant is it that the color be "correct"? I plan to show pics of a completely restored gauge set within the next few days. We may just use one of the silvers at the shop for this first mockup if that is acceptable.

The old saying goes that "you never get a second chance to make a first impression". I want to make things right here the first time if possible. Thanks for all the feedback!
Daniel

I used PPG Omni single stage AU 33219
IMG_3491.jpg

Yes we will be able to offer the markings in flat black. Purchasing the speedometer markings alone is an option, but it will be a much better overall value to purchase a complete set. We should have the completed sets and price structure setup within the next few days.
Thank you,
Daniel

I have a '63 gauge cluster which consists of a speedometer, fuel gauge, and engine temp gauge flanked by a charge indicator and oil pressure idiot lights. Forgot I was going to use the factory fuel gauge so I'll probably buy a full set. I'll be following this closely, much easier than trying to mark and hand paint markings (something that didn't come close to the level I wanted with some of my extra stock gauges). Thanks for the speedy reply.

A neat option could be to change out the AMP gauge for a VOLT one from a 60 series. It can easily be done mechanically, but if you use the face from the VOLT gauge the lettering will be 80 degress off!

(This should of course be avaliable in 24 volts too, otherwise I would be out of the loop!) :)

The set that we used for artwork only had the MPH markings. We will be more than happy to do artwork for the other sets as well once the FJ40 program gets launched. Thanks again for the replies.

I found this link to pics of gauges for varous years. Does this cover the other gauge sets that some of you are referrring to?
Thanks again,
Daniel

I can probably send a set of those as well.

I watched the film-great product looking forward when it will be available!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom