Builds Zeke, the 1975 Wanderer and DD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My only problem with retirement is that, with no deadlines, I never get anything done in any sort of timely fashion. Proving, I guess, that it's never too late to procrastinate.

My only problem with retirement is that, with no deadlines, I never get anything done in any sort of timely fashion. Proving, I guess, that it's never too late to procrastinate.
You just need more on your plate and all that goes away. I have backup plans to my backup plans, just in case.

Just before my starter went out, I blew a big hole in the side of my muffler after I had a weird cranking issue. Zeke failed to start while cranking; I hit the starter right away and BOOM! the muffler blew up, and he started just fine. (But louder, of course.)

I got a glasspack muffler, installed it, and at that point my starter was toast.

Once I got the starter sorted out, I leaned out the mixture slightly, but a slight miss was evident. Took it on a long drive yesterday, and the miss got worse as the drive went on.

Checked compressions today, and #3 was marginal (125 psi) and #5 was crap (35 psi). The rest are a strong 150 psi.

Being an idiot, I left the battery hooked up, and while I was moved my ignition unit on my DUI, it arced hard to ground.

So.... I staked the intake and exhaust valves with a hammer to see if they were stuck, and now it won't start. I'm assuming I fried my ignition unit on the DUI when it arced to ground.

I don't have words bad enough to describe how crappy I feel. Plus, my back went out again working on Zeke today, so I am dead in the water.

Still haven't looked at Zeke, as I've been busy renting a truck to get my rollaround back to my garage and buying rifle parts to make my flintlock rifles. And healing my back a bit.

Friday I'll get back to look at #5 cylinder, as my fiber optic camera is back in my garage in my rollaround.

If the cylinder is toast, I have some decisions to make. I can't afford to buy a new rebuilt engine, or do an engine rebuild this year because of my retirement situation. I'm thinking either to a) sell Zeke to get whatever I can from him and buy a cheaper, easier to maintain truck (thinking vintage Ford F1/100/150) or (b) pull the engine until I can afford the rebuild/new rebuilt engine and start welding up rust holes.

If I were to choose the latter, I would basically shape and repair metal to get a sound internal structure, and to have all body mounts functioning. I'd also figure out where the water is coming from in the front driver's side and the left rear, which is causing the corrosion there. I'm assuming the main culprit up front is the darned cowl. That's the thing that kills Mustangs, and it looks like the pig's cowl is nearly identical.

Otherwise, I love the way Zeke looks; let's call it "Patina."

Anyway. There is time to think about it before decisions are necessary. Meanwhile, my wife and I are sharing a RAV4 unless it's nice weather, and then I am forced to drive Daisy, my survivor Mustang.

1186919_10202764983560148_1255453923_n_zps2524dd4e.jpg

Last edited:
But money isn't everything, is it?
NOPE!

If the pig brings you happiness then you know what to do.
If it's getting to be a PITA then this could be a good time to sell, unfortunately the pigs that are bringing good money right now don't need new engines.

I don’t know about that. I have a 1970 F100 short bed 2wd. Needs a bed, or some work on the bed anyways. Can’t find a bed anywhere. A tailgate is $300 - $400. FE engines and parts getting harder and more expensive to get good stuff for. It’s all the same. Nothing cheap about owning classics.

Avoid the FE and Ford pickup parts are dirt cheap. It's not brain surgery. Anything with a Windsor block is the cheapest form of transportation on the face of the earth.

My 67 Mustang is stupid cheap and reliable to operate. Parts are cheap and available.

FE parts hard to find??? Not looking in right places 😘.
Relative to SBC and Windsor block engines, Id say yeah.

Plus, there is a thing or two you need to know before rebuilding an FE. Having said that, you have a point. It's not rocket surgery.

Anyway; the silver lining to this cloud is that I've clarified what I want to do with Zeke, provided I keep him.

An option I didn't mention is the "find a good used 2F and plop it in there." Actually seems to be the most attractive option at this point, and will probably get an EFI system while I'm at it.

I've finally come around to the wisdom that "these trucks are what they are." I'm never going to do a nut and bolt restoration; heck, I'll be happy with a "good enough truck" restoration. And maybe finally attending a Pig Party in the near future.

Must be horrible driving that thing. :)
Daisy loves Tennessee. The roads here were made for driving, and I love the feel of a nose heavy solid axle car when diving into the curves. It's had all the suspension mods, but the convertible body isn't as rigid as a nicely set up coupe.

Fordpowertrain.com, Blue Thunder, Survival motorsports, Holman Moody. Just a few 😯😳😉😘👈
Holman Moody still at it, that’s cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom