You guys in the 'Rust Belt', my hat is off to you......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Often times when looking through posts here, I will see pics of parts/bolts/frames etc...that are so rusted I wonder how you guys manage to work on your vehicles.

Just today....I was removing the the Spare Tire Winch from under my 80 series because I don't plan on putting the tire back under there.

As I was doing so....I couldn't help but think of how this simple job might be a frustrating event for someone living in the 'Rust Belt'.

As I am accustomed to....the bolts on my Winch were easily backed off (no rounding of the heads, broken bolts, bolts chattering the whole way out, etc).

For this reason alone (lack of rust), folks looking to purchase a Land Cruiser should seriously consider confining their search to vehicles from the South, South-West or States where the roads are not salted and vehicles are not on the 'Coast'.

Down here....when we say 'Rust Free' that is what we mean.

Here is the winch as taken off the truck, just hosed down with water to knock off the dust:

ST%20Winch_zpsfsycm6rq.jpg

And the original bolts (still plated):

ST%20Winch2_zpsukhzg7xp.jpg

I 'might' have some exhaust manifold bolts with some very light surface rust, but that is it.

Anyway, for you guys that have to fight parts every time you work on your vehicle, I bow to you, you have more patience than me.

STOP IT!! I hate you and your bolts! From Minneapolis...where I had to use a grinder to cut the chain to get my spare off...
arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!

Thanks for rubbing it in. That's like a millionaire saying "I don't know how you poor people live" :bang:

I picked up a set of LX rims today that were so salt corroded that repaint is the only solution.

That is amazing.

Can I buy that from you? Mine is like something Mel Fisher might have found on the Ascension.

Thinking about putting it on my LX470 since it is much stronger than the cable equipped one under it. Just need to look to see if the bolt pattern is the same.

IF I don't use it, then yeah, someone can purchase it for a very reasonable price.

Wait, you mean not all cruisers look like that underneath? :hmm:

Thinking about putting it on my LX470 since it is much stronger than the cable equipped one under it. Just need to look to see if the bolt pattern is the same.

IF I don't use it, then yeah, someone can purchase it for a very reasonable price.
I would love to have it if you can't use it.

Bolts don't look that new on the cars at dealer here in new england

as someone currently in the middle of trying to make my 1993 subframe and axles look like metal again instead of the surface of the moon, I am very jealous.

I'm in a warm area that's kinder on cars now, so it hasn't really got any worse in the 5 years I've had her, but she was 14 years old before she left the UK for Spain and although not terrible rust-wise, she certainly doesn't look like yours. nor will she ever again I doubt [jealous emoji]

What is this Rust thing everyone keeps talking about? I feel left out... Do I need to buy some? Do they sell it at NAPA or is it dealer only? Am I missing out on some fun?
Greetings from Phoenix. :flipoff2:

And the original bolts (still plated):

ST%20Winch2_zpsukhzg7xp.jpg

We have taken a bunch of those, that look like that, to the scrapyard, but we save the bolts.

Rust
What is this Rust thing everyone keeps talking about? I feel left out... Do I need to buy some? Do they sell it at NAPA or is it dealer only? Am I missing out on some fun?
Greetings from Phoenix. :flipoff2:
Rust,i also have heard legends of it howdy from s chandler

We have taken a bunch of those, that look like that, to the scrapyard, but we save the bolts.

Apparently there is a market for them?

I call bull**** thats a brand new part, it didn't come off of your cruiser

Not new, original part. I didn't even clean it....except to hose it off, no kidding.

Honestly...in parts of the country where these vehicle are not exposed to road salt or not on the Coast/Beach, what you have seen here is common, no 'BS'.

That is why I just cringe when I see pictures of frames/parts that are all pitted or have rust so thick it is literally coming off in big flakes. We would haul those vehicles to the junkyard here, but I understand it is a 'way of life' in other places.

I'd hate to be a mechanic in the 'rust belt', having to fight parts just to get them off to repair or replace. I don't know how well the body parts hold up, but I've seen other vehicles (with Yankee plates) that have the wheel wells, rocker panels and door bottoms eaten through with rust. I can only imagine that one buys a vehicle in those states knowing it has a 'life expectancy' due to rust issues alone.

But I'm dead serious, nice clean Land Cruisers (with little to no rust) are the norm IF they have lived all their lives in Texas, Cali, Arizona, Florida, etc.

IF I were in the market for one, I'd darn sure fly/drive to wherever it was....in order to get a good one (do your research first), I wouldn't 'settle' for a rusted up L/C just because it was close by and well.....that's what you are used to seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom