You guys in the 'Rust Belt', my hat is off to you......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Apparently there is a market for them?

Indeed, the scrap yard guy gave us $ for them and sent them to china, where useful stuff could be made for us!:hillbilly:

Not new, original part. I didn't even clean it....except to hose it off, no kidding.

Honestly...in parts of the country where these vehicle are not exposed to road salt or not on the Coast/Beach, what you have seen here is common, no 'BS'.

That is why I just cringe when I see pictures of frames/parts that are all pitted or have rust so thick it is literally coming off in big flakes. We would haul those vehicles to the junkyard here, but I understand it is a 'way of life' in other places.

I'd hate to be a mechanic in the 'rust belt', having to fight parts just to get them off to repair or replace. I don't know how well the body parts hold up, but I've seen other vehicles (with Yankee plates) that have the wheel wells, rocker panels and door bottoms eaten through with rust. I can only imagine that one buys a vehicle in those states knowing it has a 'life expectancy' due to rust issues alone.

But I'm dead serious, nice clean Land Cruisers (with little to no rust) are the norm IF they have lived all their lives in Texas, Cali, Arizona, Florida, etc.

IF I were in the market for one, I'd darn sure fly/drive to wherever it was....in order to get a good one (do your research first), I wouldn't 'settle' for a rusted up L/C just because it was close by and well.....that's what you are used to seeing.
I lived in Arizona for 30 years I've seen my share of rust free vehicles I've never seen any where the paint is that new after 20 years

Last edited:
Often times when looking through posts here, I will see pics of parts/bolts/frames etc...that are so rusted I wonder how you guys manage to work on your vehicles.

Just today....I was removing the the Spare Tire Winch from under my 80 series because I don't plan on putting the tire back under there.

As I was doing so....I couldn't help but think of how this simple job might be a frustrating event for someone living in the 'Rust Belt'.

As I am accustomed to....the bolts on my Winch were easily backed off (no rounding of the heads, broken bolts, bolts chattering the whole way out, etc).

For this reason alone (lack of rust), folks looking to purchase a Land Cruiser should seriously consider confining their search to vehicles from the South, South-West or States where the roads are not salted and vehicles are not on the 'Coast'.

Down here....when we say 'Rust Free' that is what we mean.

Here is the winch as taken off the truck, just hosed down with water to knock off the dust:

ST%20Winch_zpsfsycm6rq.jpg

And the original bolts (still plated):

ST%20Winch2_zpsukhzg7xp.jpg

I 'might' have some exhaust manifold bolts with some very light surface rust, but that is it.

Anyway, for you guys that have to fight parts every time you work on your vehicle, I bow to you, you have more patience than me.

is that for sale?

I lived in Arizona for 30 years I've seen my share of rust free vehicles I've never seen any where the paint is that new after 20 years
You've got to remember that part's been under his truck, out of the sun light for 20 year's, so it just "might" look that new.

Can't help you pal.....if you just choose not to believe. If you consider where the winch resides (tucked up high under the vehicle behind a tire) it is in a spot that never sees any sun, isn't abraded by anything, etc....

If you'd like to see pics of other parts of my vehicle for comparison, just let me know, otherwise please stop insinuating I am a liar. OK?

Can't help you pal.....if you just choose not to believe. If you consider where the winch resides (tucked up high under the vehicle behind a tire) it is in a spot that never sees any sun, isn't abraded by anything, etc....

If you'd like to see pics of other parts of my vehicle for comparison, just let me know, otherwise please stop insinuating I am a liar. OK?
All I'm saying is I know brand new parts when I see them and I'm not your pal

All I'm saying is I know brand new parts when I see them and I'm not your pal

Apparently....you do NOT.

Sir.....please don't embarrass yourself more than you already have. What I posted IS the original part and was not cleaned up (except for hosing off with water) before it was photographed.

But because 'Sea Bass' has never seen one like that, it can't be true. Good grief. :(

Sir.....please don't embarrass yourself more than you already have. What I posted IS the original part and was not cleaned up (except for hosing off with water) before it was photographed.

But because 'Sea Bass' has never seen one like that, it can't be true. Good grief. :(
What would be the point of lying anyway? To garner attention as a guy that takes auto parts out of their boxes, takes pictures of them and then tells people they are 20 years old? Where does that get you? :hmm:

And those of use that ARE in the "RUST BELT", stand and stare in awe at something that is still the correct thickness and does not have holes rusted through it, or you touch the paint to clean it, and end up putting your finger right through it.....(The side of my hitch that started as 1/4" thick)

That's why we all have that dumb look on our faces......well, at least me.......but my wife says I have that no matter what.

And those of use that ARE in the "RUST BELT", stand and stare in awe at something that is still the correct thickness and does not have holes rusted through it, or you touch the paint to clean it, and end up putting your finger right through it.....(The side of my hitch that started as 1/4" thick)

That's why we all have that dumb look on our faces......well, at least me.......but my wife says I have that no matter what.
It's really more like spelunking at this point. I have rust formations in spots that you didn't even think were spots, or made out of steel for that matter. Rust does whatever it wants. It's a never ending battle. I am switching to a hot mix of Fluid Film and bar chain oil to keep up on the applications for my two Toyota's, one of which is from AZ and is still rust free.

Ok

Okay,what do I know,have a good evening

Last edited:
It's really more like spelunking at this point. I have rust formations in spots that you didn't even think were spots, or made out of steel for that matter. Rust does whatever it wants. It's a never ending battle. I am switching to a hot mix of Fluid Film and bar chain oil to keep up on the applications for my two Toyota's, one of which is from AZ and is still rust free.

What's with this fluid film and bar chain oil? I'm interested

What's with this fluid film and bar chain oil? I'm interested

So, I have learned a lot about rust over the years. I have learned that it is far easier to start rust free and keep it that way, but you can start with rusty and become less rusty. If you soak the metal in something oily, the oil will seek the metal. If you get it saturated enough, you can easily scrub it off by hand with a chore boy, or you can get out the grinder and the stiff wire and go to town. Fluid Film is $50 per gallon and it's non-toxic since it is made out of sheep lanolin. Bar chain oil is $9 per gallon but it is probably toxic and it's stringy to use alone in cold temps, but you can spray it if it's warm. I am mixing them about half and half now and then taking my paint pot and setting it on the little burner of my gas stove until it's pretty warm/hot.

If it's too hot, the seal on the gun will burp hot oil on you when you are spraying at certain angles, but that is all part of the fun and the learning curve on the heat.

It's not really that messy, it's pretty easy to drive up on the ramps and jam on a fresh coat every once in while and then go to town with all the tools maybe twice per year to check the year's progress and see how much less rusty you made it that year. I rinse all the crud off with a pressure washer and try to catch as much as I can in a kids swimmy pool. Then I spray on a liberal coat and start anew.

What would be the point of lying anyway? To garner attention as a guy that takes auto parts out of their boxes, takes pictures of them and then tells people they are 20 years old? Where does that get you? :hmm:

Hey RM,

I removed the Spare Tire Winch from my LX470 today (cable operated) and compared it to the (chain operated) one I took of my 80 series.

The bolt pattern where it mounts to the cross member IS exactly the same, so I put the winch off the 80 onto my LX and will be sending you the cable operated one, per your request. Will get it out to you the first of next week.

It's not new (though Sea Bass might disagree), but it is probably better than what you have now.

STW%2099%20LX470_zps4vbvkkwx.jpg

( Just kidding Sea Bass) ;) This part is the original....off my LX470 (18 yrs. old), believe it or not.

My truck was in California until 2010 (and I have the grocery store receipts from under the seat to prove it) and it still looks like hell underneath.

Hey RM,

I removed the Spare Tire Winch from my LX470 today (cable operated) and compared it to the (chain operated) one I took of my 80 series.

The bolt pattern where it mounts to the cross member IS exactly the same, so I put the winch off the 80 onto my LX and will be sending you the cable operated one, per your request. Will get it out to you the first of next week.

It's not new (though Sea Bass might disagree), but it is probably better than what you have now.

STW%2099%20LX470_zps4vbvkkwx.jpg

( Just kidding Sea Bass) ;) This part is the original....off my LX470 (18 yrs. old), believe it or not.
Awesome! That thing looks perfect. I am super excited.

Thanks again :)

I will be looking in your neck of the woods the next I am in the market for a new truck.

Kicking all the weiner comparison stuff to the side in this thread, there's something to be said for nice rust free foundations.

I am currently fighting massive amounts of corrosion on a 91 FJ80 brake system and wishing I had paid a few more greenbacks for a rust free version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom