Builds "WY-REE-KA" A Ground Up 45LPB Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome John! Thanks so much for the info. on the license plate. I was hoping it was original but it's still pretty cool none the less. Any chance I can get some more detailed pictures of that LPB rear license plate set-up. I'll need to fabricate it as mine was missing. Looks like I could use a 40 rear set-up and just fab. the brackets that hold it to the frame.

Here is a slight different angle of the rear plate bracket. I used a FJ40 rear bracket to make mine.

IMG_0897.jpg

Very cool stuff John. I love the old Man-A-Fre catalog stuff. Seeing the license plate there makes sense as my 45LP-B had a bunch of Man-A-Fre receipts from the early 80's included with it.

I can't believe that exhaust on the '76, I guess Toyota wasn't prioritizing ground clearance/offroading at that point :doh:

I got the part number from my '65 FJ40 (17401-60040) parts catalog, the LP-B is obviously a different number (17401-60150) since the rear bend is further back.
Thanks JP, when I replaced the exhaust in my 68 it was cleaner but it also doesn't have the two different size pipes welded together under the skid plate. This 76 is a little different and though the weld was that way because it was a prototype but seen the weld on other 40s.

I was looking at a frame on cowl from a 61. Header has the same bends to put it above the skid plate. I also have another header pipe and muffler laying across the frame. Not sure where that one came from. It too has the bends. But both have a welded on muffler so not sure if they are original not. Tub was very rusted on the 61 so figured that was original.have another 61 buried that might have a 1960 FJ40 at our cabin I could check. Doesn't have a PTO but a higher percentage FJ25s did. Also the single range transfer case did not sit as low so skid plates were almost level with the frame. With a PTO probably a good idea to wrap the pipe in the area with some kind of heat tape. My PTO that melted was probably touching but just for heat transfer to the oil would be a good reason to wrap it.

PS the catalog with the license plate frame I figure was from the late seventies. No mention of 60 series stuff. The picture of exhaust pipe believe was early eighties. Same pipe was in the other one, print was not as dark so snapped a picture of the darker print.

Last edited:
JP is that a Hone overdrive mounted to rear output of the transfer case? One picture you posted made it look like something bolted to the back.

JP is that a Hone overdrive mounted to rear output of the transfer case? One picture you posted made it look like something bolted to the back.

Yes it is John, good eye! Though I'm not keeping it for the resto. since I'm trying to stay stock as possible.

Here is a slight different angle of the rear plate bracket. I used a FJ40 rear bracket to make mine.

View attachment 1567993

I always thought the rear license plate holder was on a hinge to keep it from breaking off.

Disclosure - my truck does not have one and I've seen one in person.

I am looking for one though along with the light.

Thanks for info on the exhaust guys.

I don't know what the differences between the years might be but I can't use, what I believe is the stock, license plate bracket on my 78'. It is a simple L bracket with two lights that was bolted to the frame. If anyone can use it let me know.

I always thought the rear license plate holder was on a hinge to keep it from breaking off.

Disclosure - my truck does not have one and I've seen one in person.

I am looking for one though along with the light.

Thanks for info on the exhaust guys.

Yours is newer if you need a light. The early ones the license was lite from a lens in the bottom of the tail light. Later ones had their own lights. Seen a few of the later ones still on trucks in other markets. The early ones have never seen one in person except for the one I got from the brother of short term Toyota dealer back in sixties. Not sure how he had or the blank license plate frame with neither 40 or 45 brackets welded to it. Both were in new take-off condition. Will be around my pickup soon and will check to see if the bracket is there. The skinny bracket from the bottom of the plate frame to the frame crossmember is simple. The other one offset two ways and a little harder to reproduce. But shouldn't be that hard.

Time for an update on this old girl. Been plugging away steadily... The frame is finally cleaned and painted, I think I went through 500lbs of blasting sand and 20hrs plus of labor to get that thing as clean as the day she left the factory. I epoxy primed the frame and then top coated with Eastwood's Chassis Black. I've got an order in to Alcan for some stock height springs they aren't cheap :eek: but appeared to be my only option if I wanted to stay stock
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG

Lately I've been going through and trying to get every last piece that needs to be plated prepped which has meant lots of quality time with my new blast cabinet I got for Christmas.... it's my new favorite tool in the shop :D That's it for now.

IMG_0353.JPG
IMG_0356.JPG
IMG_0357.JPG
IMG_0358.JPG

Also guys I'm in need of a few parts for my resto. Let me know if you haven any of these items:

1. stock gas pedal
2. early center arm
3. early license plate holder
4. fuel line from fuel pump to carb. as well as the fuel filter to fuel pump

If you can help I appreciate it :beer:

I might have the gas pedal. Let me check tonite and report back.

Glad to see you posting updates again

Awesome... thanks Jack. I have a pedal but it's badly pitted and I would only use it as a last resort.

Yeah I haven't been as active on mud lately not a lot of free time. It sure looks like the 45 section is hopping these days. Lots of great build threads going on. I'm gonna do my best to update more regularly :beer:

Time for an update on this old girl. Been plugging away steadily... The frame is finally cleaned and painted, I think I went through 500lbs of blasting sand and 20hrs plus of labor to get that thing as clean as the day she left the factory. I epoxy primed the frame and then top coated with Eastwood's Chassis Black. I've got an order in to Alcan for some stock height springs they aren't cheap :eek: but appeared to be my only option if I wanted to stay stock
View attachment 1612636 View attachment 1612640 View attachment 1612641 View attachment 1612642 View attachment 1612644
Hi nice job clean as new you are good to go.

Tore down the engine last week and dropped it off at the machine shop to have them spec it and let me know what she needs. Had low compression in 3 of the cylinders. After pulling the head the head gasket was fine and the cylinder walls looked good to my untrained eye. Had quite a bit of carbon build up on several of the pistons and valves. Hoping that and maybe some worn rigs were causing the lower compression numbers. Maybe I get lucky and she will just need a honing and new rings! Should hear from the machine shop soon... fingers crossed :D

Definitely running rich or burning oil... I'm not smart enough to know which :doh:
IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

Head
IMG_0405.JPG
IMG_0406.JPG

Last edited:
I forgot about the gas pedal. I am sorry. I will make a note and check tonite.

I've never had to rebuild an engine before so I have no experience to go on but the cylinder walls looked good to me. No notable gouging/ scoring in the cylinder walls. Anybody with more knowledge have any thoughts?

IMG_0407.JPG
IMG_0408.JPG
IMG_0409.JPG
IMG_0410.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom