Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lots of photos now. That is a Walker 798 transmission jack. Here’s some info
Thank you! One guy says ‘I bought one new in ‘63.’ How cool!

Blue with yellow accents - you like those bright colors, don't you.
No thanks! I love mine the way it is. I’ll linseed oil it.

64668226-5049-4218-B14C-D8782FC35525.jpeg

capt'n jack'll get you high tonight. nice score on the liftin' device felicity 👍
yeah, i just stuck my nose in here to see how you were progressing with the engine build. gonna assume the christmas season sorta put the brakes on.

Ct weather put the brakes on me. Thanks for popping in to check. Garage isn’t heated. Have pondered a Buddy propane heater in there but have yet to do it.

So if a Toyota sits in your driveway long enough it tends to multiply.
By chance I spotted this Saturday on my way home from #2 of 3 beekeeping classes I’m taking up in MA.
I didn’t have time to really check it out but persued it yesterday and brought it home this AM. $1200. Base '98 Tacoma, 236k miles, new oem clutch as well as oem fuel pump and sender. New tires and two new snow tires. Oil changes every 4K and it drives awesome.
I love it!

335A28B3-8239-4DE3-BD79-BCC0ECC0A4CC.jpeg

02E9EB21-EA26-4270-9F2A-02C0A098719C.jpeg

921A64DD-BC34-4C00-B58F-F1BAD4DEF407.jpeg

22D02A84-8A47-4D1A-AD2E-1D0D0BEABE28.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow. I would have bought that too without a second thought. Good work.

It's not enough truck to tow that trailer though!

And bees! I've had 2-3 hives in the back yard for 30+ years. At my old house too. Just took them to some foothill property one of my friends owns. It's a great low key hobby. But when they swarm to establish a new hive, which they 100% will, your neighbors will freak out. I have an old picture of me standing in the center of thousands of swarming bees without protective gear. They are not aggressive when swarming and it's an interesting thing. My neighbors got used to it and sort of enjoyed the spectacle. One neighbor always complains in the summer because the bees drink out of his pool.

That
By chance I spotted this Saturday on my way home from #2 of 3 beekeeping classes I’m taking up in MA.
I didn’t have time to really check it out but persued it yesterday and brought it home this AM. $1200. Base '98 Tacoma, 236k miles, new oem clutch as well as oem fuel pump and sender. New tires and two new snow tires. Oil changes every 4K and it drives awesome.
I love it!

View attachment 2218338

View attachment 2218340

View attachment 2218344

View attachment 2218345

Thats a good truck. It will treat you well.

Had a company truck like that. Swear we never changed the oil. Just filled it with gas and drive it. Probably had 200k miles on it. Just gets up when asked. No nonsense. Good buy.

swarming bees without protective gear. They are not aggressive when swarming and it's an interesting thing. My neighbors got used to it and sort of enjoyed the spectacle. One neighbor always complains in the summer because the bees drink out of his pool.
Only you Drew! Cool story and yes, I have learned much in the last 6+ weeks I began the journey to understand beekeeping. I did pick up a fully ventilated suit used off ebay for myself and bought Sal a new ventilated one (hes a wicked hot kid like his dad tends to be). But kid says he isn't going near them... he doesn't quite understand that they will be more inclined to care for their comb then attack us unless provoked. But I am honestly excited to go without gear. I don't have a deep fear... maybe I should... I like getting tattoos so whats a few bee stings? ;)
My neighbors about 1/8 mile from me have 15 hives and are overwhelmed. Pretty sure they are going to give me two nuks free and I put in a hold to buy one from a treatment free guy up in VT. Hence needing a pickup for various bee tasks. Been building unassembled boxes and plan to build my own from wood I already have. Obviously the 60 is on hold but I'll get back to her... weather is up and down. Today we've gotten up to mid 40's and by Monday they are saying mid 50's. I hoping because I have a small wetland behind me (it does dry up in the super hot heat) that they'll stay out of the neighbors pool behind me! I hear they like the taste of chlorine... weird. I plan to put out containers for them to drink from as well.

698E5982-E374-4321-82D3-4D5FE44BD101.jpeg

079E936C-3F88-4120-8DF1-EE1E2B25072B.jpeg

That's a great truck. Around here, they don't last 10 mins for sale in good cond. Plus, easy to work on and parts availability is excellent.

Be a nice bee hauler 🐝

That's a great truck. Around here, they don't last 10 mins for sale in good cond. Plus, easy to work on and parts availability is excellent.

Be a nice bee hauler 🐝

Same here. The gardner type guys are always on the look out for Toyota 2wd and oddly Ranger (Maybe because they are Mazdas?) 2wd 4 cyl pick ups. They always go for the base trucks without crew cabs or anything else.

But I want to see @NeverGiveUpYota pick up a hive and put it in the truck. They get unbelievably heavy when full of comb and honey. And you have to move them at night!

pick up a hive and put it in the truck. They get unbelievably heavy when full of comb and honey.
That’s why I’m doing all medium Lang’s. When full they weigh at the most 50lbs.

I love it!

Love these little trucks. I contemplated just finding a base 4WD version before getting my 60 series. Glad I went the 60 series route but these little trucks are super cool. Wish they still made these in this size these days. My son has a 96 Nissan that's his daily driver that's similarly colored:

IMG_5278.jpg

Its a 5-speed which forced a new generation to understand driving a manual transmission equipped vehicle, so glad he has it. He was initially not convinced but has since grown to love the truck. At 17 I am sure he wishes it would someday turn into a sports car of some type, but for now he likes it.

Great score Felicity.

That’s why I’m doing all medium Lang’s. When full they weigh at the most 50lbs.

The problem is that you'll have 2-3 at a time per hive, and you don't separate before moving. You'll see too, how the boxes get fully glued by the colony to each other and it gets very difficult to separate, so you only do that when you harvest. You'll have a ton of fun with it. You will get stung here and there though. It comes with the territory.

My hives have 2 standard boxes, and I add on a 3rd one in the early spring. Then harvest the top box later in the year. That leaves them plenty in the upper box to get through the winter. Don't get too many hives going. You can only eat so much honey. 1 or 2 is PLENTY. I've had up to 5 and that was just too much effort. I took my 2 out to a rural place that is loaded with star thistle which makes great honey, even though it's an invasive plant.

Bees are sort of cool because they take care of themselves. You can ignore them for months or even years, while you do other things, like finish your engine rebuild!

But if you have a hive built and ready to go, you can probably catch a swarm when it warms up a bit.

I hear you Drew, that makes sense. I’ll figure it out. Although I’m a step ahead cuz I picked up a three wheel stroller someone had out at the street for free to modify into a hive cart. That will help tons.
I love this little truck. I did a coolant flush on it today cuz I noticed how murky the fluid was yesterday. Flushed it by splicing into the upper heater hose and having it come out the rad fill. I also had removed the Tatar too so the flow would be most optimal. Came through clean after 5 or so mins and made sure to drain the rad petcock again after shutting the hose off.
When I filled I added at the upper heater hose and watched till I started to get coolant from the rad drain. It bubbles up the fill first tho and I shut the petcock thinking I was good. But when I filled w/ new coolant and had the truck running I could see the fluid is still slightly tan. Filled it w/ the nose up but couldn’t get two gallons in per spec so I suppose I’ll need to drain the rad and add more. Wah Wah. Oh well regardless it wasn’t hard to do.

New tstat and rad cap. Most happy truck, dogs and most importantly, me! My son will be bonkers thrilled. Runs great temp comes up to halfway. Loving it!

CDEA5386-6CC9-4571-B5D7-2EFFF22C0EF9.jpeg

6A13C091-F2BE-4828-A7CC-C82F0E998E56.jpeg

4837F3D8-D1DC-4D27-A904-59E496DD95F6.jpeg

87ADB444-8663-45A3-946C-F17985F1CF52.jpeg

Curious, is that truck produced in Fremont, Calif ? (VIN)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom