Wits End Turbo Owners (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you seeing deform? Curious as I haven't noticed anything yet but am a bit paranoid about it.

These things so far

20200604_092723.jpg

20200604_092727.jpg

Yeah that’s cheap clear plastic likely not rated to even be under the hood to begin with.

The hood clip yeah, it’s likely a victim of being too close to the downpipe/turbo.

FWIW the blanket took care of all of that. In hindsight I should of ceramic coated my own pipes.

Interesting. I am going on 7 years without heat issues under the hood. I did take a lot of heat precautions with my build simply because it was my first and it is just kind of how I work.

But I have a turbo blanket, wrapped downpipe, and "fake" ceramic coating on my exhaust manifolds, but zero issues. Turbo blanket and exhaust wrap would be the first things that I did. And I don't think my turbo blanket or exhaust wrap are as nice as what Joey has put together for this kit.

Interesting. I am going on 7 years without heat issues under the hood. I did take a lot of heat precautions with my build simply because it was my first and it is just kind of how I work.

But I have a turbo blanket, wrapped downpipe, and "fake" ceramic coating on my exhaust manifolds, but zero issues. Turbo blanket and exhaust wrap would be the first things that I did. And I don't think my turbo blanket or exhaust wrap are as nice as what Joey has put together for this kit.

This is good info Scott, thank you for that. I'll wrap my J pipe too but the heat does need to be vacated one way or the other. I'll try to do some objective temp numbers before and after

Yeah that’s cheap clear plastic likely not rated to even be under the hood to begin with.

The hood clip yeah, it’s likely a victim of being too close to the downpipe/turbo.

FWIW the blanket took care of all of that. In hindsight I should of ceramic coated my own pipes.

that fuse cover has been underhood for ten+ years w/o deformation but one week of the Turbo took care of that :)

Yeah I didn't wrap the J-pipe, just the downpipe and turbo blanket. I don't have any vents in the hood of my grey truck and I don't have any issues. Do you have dual batteries, York compressor, upgraded fan clutch, etc? Lets see if we can figure out why you are having issues when I didn't even when I was living in Texas.

This is good info Scott, thank you for that. I'll wrap my J pipe too but the heat does need to be vacated one way or the other. I'll try to do some objective temp numbers before and after

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is a real issue, but it's my observation.

No it is a real issue for you. I am just curious what other factors might play into it. Do you have anything else under hood blocking air flow?

I'm really curious about why you're temps are so high under the hood as well.
I know it's much hotter where you are but i'm not seeing this type of heat. Are you sure you don't have any exhaust leaks?
I had a small leak and it was enough to cook my hood insulation, but not melt my insulator clip.

I am about to get my truck back on the road and have all the goodies stuffed in there (Dual batteries, York Compressor, OBA manifold etc.) I have ceramic coated my J-pipe and down pipe, and have blankets on the turbo and downpipe. Hopefully that controls the heat well enough...not really looking to cut holes in my hood.

I am about to get my truck back on the road and have all the goodies stuffed in there (Dual batteries, York Compressor, OBA manifold etc.) I have ceramic coated my J-pipe and down pipe, and have blankets on the turbo and downpipe. Hopefully that controls the heat well enough...not really looking to cut holes in my hood.
Let us know how it goes.

No it is a real issue for you. I am just curious what other factors might play into it. Do you have anything else under hood blocking air flow?

I have the usual and the inner fender skirts are gone.

20200605_114730.jpg

20200605_114747.jpg

20200605_114740.jpg

20200605_114754.jpg

Hi guys
I have a gt2860r and i wrapped all the exhaust manifold, j-pipe and down pipe, and also a cheap turbo blanket. After a little test, messured the temp of the turbo and reads 480°C for the hotside and on the turbo blanket 180°C. Hope to ceramic coat the exhaust side soon, but a turbo blanket drops down a lot the temps....
20200528_145856.jpg

as most of you guys already know. I've been battling temp issues myself if you've read my build thread.

Its hot under the hood after a hard pull. I measured the hot side manifold vband and it's roughly 650F. The Js measure 350F and roughly 250 at the bottom vband.

Ive cooked my hood insulation twice already and already on my 3rd vband clamp. I went overkill with ceramic coating on everything as well as blankets and thermotec insulation on every wire and hose. I'm reallllllly glad I did the overkill cause I would be having crispy wires at this point if I didn't.

I've been thinking of using those jdm(ricer) style hood risers myself just to vent out more heat as well as custom fabbing a heat shield that goes on top of the turbo to deflect heat away from my hood paint. I do not like the look of that Jen hood spacing but I'm out of ideas how to lower temps. I might just get some washer and weld some together and longer bolts and go with a minimum hood rise to vent extra heat.

We already know why you had heat issues, you had misaligned v-band clamps. If the clamp was on correctly you would not have cooked your hood insulation. We need to keep issues separately and not just lump things together.

as most of you guys already know. I've been battling temp issues myself if you've read my build thread.

Its hot under the hood after a hard pull. I measured the hot side manifold vband and it's roughly 650F. The Js measure 350F and roughly 250 at the bottom vband.

Ive cooked my hood insulation twice already and already on my 3rd vband clamp. I went overkill with ceramic coating on everything as well as blankets and thermotec insulation on every wire and hose. I'm reallllllly glad I did the overkill cause I would be having crispy wires at this point if I didn't.

I've been thinking of using those jdm(ricer) style hood risers myself just to vent out more heat as well as custom fabbing a heat shield that goes on top of the turbo to deflect heat away from my hood paint. I do not like the look of that Jen hood spacing but I'm out of ideas how to lower temps. I might just get some washer and weld some together and longer bolts and go with a minimum hood rise to vent extra heat.

Tuesday night I finished all the center console gauge and accessory wiring, so that meant Wednesday was test drive day.

I did one short trip to the gas station and back...maybe 6 miles total. The AFR numbers all looked good, and I saw about 3-4 psi of boost. Coolant temps were 194-196 and creeped up to 199 at a red light with the AC on....that all went fairly well.

About an hour later I went out for a bit of a longer harder test drive and ran into some cooling issues.

Near my house I have a 10% grade road that runs up the mountain for about 4-5 miles. Pushing up the hill at about 50mph I only saw maybe 4.2psi, but was more concerned with the temp spiking up to 212 degrees. On the way back down I just coasted in gear and the temp came back down to 190 pretty quickly. I then drove around town on the flat (30-40mph), a few traffic lights etc. While moving at about 40 my temps were in the 196-200 range, when I stopped at red lights it crept up to 208-210....hot enough to make me worry. Ambient temp in Draper, UT today was 90.

I have a new Ron Davis radiator, all new cooling system components including a new blue hub clutch modified by landtank, it’s possible this one didn’t get modified properly, or the 15k CST isn’t cutting it for the hot UT temps.

I also have a York setup and dual batteries...so not much room under the hood for hot air to escape.

I also have only put about 15 miles on the motor since the batteries were disconnected, so the ECU is still relearning.

I am considering a few options:

1) Cutting vents into the hood
2) Modifying the blue fan clutch with 30k CST
3) Installing a pusher fan in front of the condenser

Would be good to hear if anyone else has had similar issues.

000FF6EE-255D-41BA-A6DC-52E990B30D9B.jpeg

The pusher fan in front of the condenser won't impact your radiator water temps and I'm thinking of removing mine, as a matter of fact. I don't know if it helps once you're at hwy speeds. My main reason for installing it was to get colder A/C but my turbo and the subsequent heat buildup under the hood is making me think of ways to evac that trapped heat.

I'll be doing the hood louvers for heat evac but until then, I've spaced up the rear of the hood by 1/4" spacers.

I'm also not sure if 30cst is the answer here but it'll definitely help. The thought of the fan clutch always in engagement doesn't sound appealing to me but I need to empty/fill my fluid as well. I think I'm running 10cst and it's been few years so the fluid might've broken down by now. This is in a stock not blue fan clutch that came with the 80.

The pusher fan in front of the condenser won't impact your radiator water temps and I'm thinking of removing mine, as a matter of fact. I don't know if it helps once you're at hwy speeds. My main reason for installing it was to get colder A/C but my turbo and the subsequent heat buildup under the hood is making me think of ways to evac that trapped heat.

I'll be doing the hood louvers for heat evac but until then, I've spaced up the rear of the hood by 1/4" spacers.

I'm also not sure if 30cst is the answer here but it'll definitely help. The thought of the fan clutch always in engagement doesn't sound appealing to me but I need to empty/fill my fluid as well. I think I'm running 10cst and it's been few years so the fluid might've broken down by now. This is in a stock not blue fan clutch that came with the 80.
After comparing the new blue hub to my modified orange hub (supercharger hub), the blue hub doesn’t have nearly the amount of engagement, feels very much like a stock blue hub clutch.

I just picked up a few bottle of CST from a local hobby shop. I got a bottle of 15k, 20k and 60k. I am going to mix equal parts 15k and 60k to make 30k.
4319D6D5-35EB-4BD3-8F40-A388DEE8C2B4.jpeg
4D6BF54E-63A1-4209-849A-D90F2FA6858F.png

I will likely end up do hood vents, but going to start with getting this hub modified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom