Wits End Turbo Owners (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to jump on here. I recently pulled the trigger on a Turbo from Joey and just have to wait to get it shipped out to me. I noticed a lot of us are in CA. Makes me laugh that even with smog requirements a lot of us are/will be running the kit.

I am definitely interested in getting together to see other 80's with snails under the hood. Or even meeting some people without one (honestly it would be more fun to flex on the non-turbo)

While I wait for my kit I am going to get my HG done and just overhaul my cooling system. Truck only has 162K miles on it and has been well cared for so I don't NEED to do the HG but better safe than sorry...

OR maybe I'll just keep the head gasket around for when it does finally blow. If I get the HG soon I will do it before. If it comes in similar time frame as the turbo might, then I will probably just save the HG for later. I will definitely stay in touch and post of my progress on here and let you guys know what my MPG/ other specs are.
That was a long way to say I cant wait to get some boxes in the mail... I'm hoping some people push their orders and I can get one sooner rather than later.

Wanted to jump on here. I recently pulled the trigger on a Turbo from Joey and just have to wait to get it shipped out to me. I noticed a lot of us are in CA. Makes me laugh that even with smog requirements a lot of us are/will be running the kit.

I am definitely interested in getting together to see other 80's with snails under the hood. Or even meeting some people without one (honestly it would be more fun to flex on the non-turbo)

While I wait for my kit I am going to get my HG done and just overhaul my cooling system. Truck only has 162K miles on it and has been well cared for so I don't NEED to do the HG but better safe than sorry...

OR maybe I'll just keep the head gasket around for when it does finally blow. If I get the HG soon I will do it before. If it comes in similar time frame as the turbo might, then I will probably just save the HG for later. I will definitely stay in touch and post of my progress on here and let you guys know what my MPG/ other specs are.

Low mileage, good running motor? Burn oil? Doesn't overheat?

Slap it on, drive it til it explodes then overhaul IMO. Most of the guys rebuilding prior to the turbo have 250+k miles on their motors.

Low mileage, good running motor? Burn oil? Doesn't overheat?
Pretty Much. PO took really good care of it and I have tried to do the same. I dont really want to state it aloud but I dont really burn or leak any oil. and Cooling seems fine. Drove it a few times from Norcal to Southern Utah since I've owned it and never had any issues.

Slap it on, drive it til it explodes then overhaul IMO. Most of the guys rebuilding prior to the turbo have 250+k miles on their motors.
I want to make sure and not question when or if it'll blow on me... That being said I am leaning more and more towards this... I may do what others have, Throw it on and see what happens.

Raise Hell and Praise Dale

How many of you are running the downpipe blanket? I am debating doing a ceramic coat as well as the blanket and most likely that's the route I am heading. However, I have read through the Turbo thread and it definitely seems recommended but not everyone has done it. I am just wondering who isn't running one and what effects have come from it?

Pretty Much. PO took really good care of it and I have tried to do the same. I dont really want to state it aloud but I dont really burn or leak any oil. and Cooling seems fine. Drove it a few times from Norcal to Southern Utah since I've owned it and never had any issues.

I want to make sure and not question when or if it'll blow on me... That being said I am leaning more and more towards this... I may do what others have, Throw it on and see what happens.

Raise Hell and Praise Dale

I did my HG on my own time and I'm glad I did. This was quite a few years ago but I had the time and I didn't want to deal with it on the road somewhere, with the family. So, if you have the luxury of knocking it out, do it and be done with it. My #6 area was starting to go but had no indication of it until I tore into it.

Just for the record, I advise everyone to yank the engine and do it on the stand. It took me less time to yank it out then to do it in situ, on my other 80, which is now sold. These things are long in the tooth and needs attention in other areas besides the HG. Upper pan arch seal, vac hoses under intake, rear main seal, tranny input seal, cleaning out the oil cooler on the side of the engine, just to name a few. So, it makes sense to to give her a refresh before FI goes in.

Last edited:
I have blanket on down pipe, I'm of the opinion do 1 or the other, but not both. The Stan of Stan's headers in Auburn Wa told me years ago that the special coatings don't like being wrapped up. The paints tend to fail and or create metal fatigue in certain types of stainless pipe. Don't know why or how, this is what he told me when I wanted to wrap some stainless headers I had bought from him.
FYI My 80 has 229,300 miles, All new gaskets, bearings and new head 20,000 miles ago. All is good I have 300 miles since Turbo install. All I can say so far is that it pulls very well from about 3000 rpm all the way to rev limiter (which I didn't know it had til I hit it). Engine tach's out much quicker than pre turbo, can't wait for some good old fashion road triping to check out some mountain passes. Joey put together a great kit and has been willing to help as needed. Worth the wait no regrets

I have blanket on down pipe, I'm of the opinion do 1 or the other, but not both. The Stan of Stan's headers in Auburn Wa told me years ago that the special coatings don't like being wrapped up. The paints tend to fail and or create metal fatigue in certain types of stainless pipe. Don't know why or how, this is what he told me when I wanted to wrap some stainless headers I had bought from him.
FYI My 80 has 229,300 miles, All new gaskets, bearings and new head 20,000 miles ago. All is good I have 300 miles since Turbo install. All I can say so far is that it pulls very well from about 3000 rpm all the way to rev limiter (which I didn't know it had til I hit it). Engine tach's out much quicker than pre turbo, can't wait for some good old fashion road triping to check out some mountain passes. Joey put together a great kit and has been willing to help as needed. Worth the wait no regrets

thanks for the kind words. Kinda needed them right now.

I don’t think it’s a static number. Everyone I know that had a shop do the install has had tons of “while I’m there” work done.

Yup I completely understand that. I was just looking for a baseline before we get to 3rd base 😉. Quality work isn’t cheap and the grand or two on small stuff is probably worth it in the long run.

What you guys all running for exhaust? My stock exhaust is in decent shape but my cats are still original and probably wouldn’t hurt to replace them. Debating to go OEM replacement cats or magnaflow high flow (or even something else).

Stock exhaust diameter (2.5") is best for this kit. I've had good luck with magnaflow cats, but don't bother getting their y-pipe and first cat, as you'll have to chop it in half to mate to the turbo downpipe. Instead, get a universal weld-in cat for the first cat and have the exhaust shop weld up at tube that connects the downpipe to your second cat. However, if you're replacing both cats, you could even get one section of pipe made with two cats in-line that goes from the downpipe all the way to the stock exhaust. Fewer gaskets to leak and fewer bolts to rust.

What you guys all running for exhaust? My stock exhaust is in decent shape but my cats are still original and probably wouldn’t hurt to replace them. Debating to go OEM replacement cats or magnaflow high flow (or even something else).
If it ain't broke don't replace them. Until you start getting codes or issues I would leave them alone. Mangaflows last a few years before you need to replace again. OEM's last a long time (I've seen them go for 300-400k as long as no HG issues ever existed) as long as your engine runs clean. If you have a slightly blown HG and you drive on it your CAT is a good as done for. If you have leaking rings and it burns for years that way, your cat will die quickly. If you do need to buy new cats. Only get Magnaflow as they last the longest.

If it ain't broke don't replace them. Until you start getting codes or issues I would leave them alone. Mangaflows last a few years before you need to replace again. OEM's last a long time (I've seen them go for 300-400k as long as no HG issues ever existed) as long as your engine runs clean. If you have a slightly blown HG and you drive on it your CAT is a good as done for. If you have leaking rings and it burns for years that way, your cat will die quickly. If you do need to buy new cats. Only get Magnaflow as they last the longest.
I just replaced my original stock exhaust at 290K miles. My cats actually rusted through and the flanges had rusted away. That's the main reason.

I installed Magnaflow down pipe with Bosal muffler, and reused my stock resonator.

The more you drive it, the longer it lasts because the acids don't have time to sit and eat on it.

I just replaced my original stock exhaust at 290K miles. My cats actually rusted through and the flanges had rusted away. That's the main reason.

I installed Magnaflow down pipe with Bosal muffler, and reused my stock resonator.

The more you drive it, the longer it lasts because the acids don't have time to sit and eat on it.
Yeah rust is a killer too. I replace a magnaflow every 2-3years on my rock crawler just because they don't last. The more frequent you drive it and keep it hot! The better and more efficient the cats are.

I'm not an owner of the turbo kit (yet!) but I did get to see one on an 80 this morning and all I can say is WOW!

I took my control arms to Tandem Automotive (Haltom City, TX near Ft Worth) to have them press in new bushings (from Wits End) and while chatting with the guys, they walked me over to a tan-brown 80. Not sure if the owner is on this Forum so I didn't want to take any pictures but wowzer did it look good (new paint, new interior, Delta bumpers)! The engine was freshly overhauled and the guys had just finished getting the turbo kit installed. This was their first Wit's End turbo kit to install and they said it went in very well...like factory!

This turbo kit just got added to my wish list!

Joey are you planning on offering parts of the kit for those of us not ready to buy a whole kit? Mainly looking at the J pipe. The kit looks amazing but my wife and my wallet say no.

I loved my turbo setup but sold that cruiser to buy a new one with more upgrades.

Joey are you planning on offering parts of the kit for those of us not ready to buy a whole kit? Mainly looking at the J pipe. The kit looks amazing but my wife and my wallet say no.

I loved my turbo setup but sold that cruiser to buy a new one with more upgrades.

Perhaps but NOT until all of the backorders are taken care of.

I wanted to address the heat issue under the hood. The turbo system moved the heat up higher, right under the hood. This is causing some plastic things to deform so this issue need to be addressed ASAP in my case. Until I find someone who can create louvers on my hood, I'm going to space up the rear of the hood by adding maybe, 1/4" alum spacers between the hood and the brackets/hinges Someone in Denver has this hood stamping machine for making louvers, according to @treerootCO. His 80 has a pair of these louvers and they look totally sexy. It might be worth a road trip for me to have this done in DEN vs cutting rect holes then install louvers. I think two holes are needed on both sides of the hood, between the hood braces to let the trapped heat escape.

After a run, I am unable to touch either fender edges next to the hood edges. I should also think about wrapping the J pipes and regretting not doing this in advance of the turbo install. :bang:

I wanted to address the heat issue under the hood. The turbo system moved the heat up higher, right under the hood. This is causing some plastic things to deform so this issue need to be addressed ASAP in my case. Until I find someone who can create louvers on my hood, I'm going to space up the rear of the hood by adding maybe, 1/4" alum spacers between the hood and the brackets/hinges Someone in Denver has this hood stamping machine for making louvers, according to @treerootCO. His 80 has a pair of these louvers and they look totally sexy. It might be worth a road trip for me to have this done in DEN vs cutting rect holes then install louvers. I think two holes are needed on both sides of the hood, between the hood braces to let the trapped heat escape.

After a run, I am unable to touch either fender edges next to the hood edges. I should also think about wrapping the J pipes and regretting not doing this in advance of the turbo install. :bang:

What are you seeing deform? Curious as I haven't noticed anything yet but am a bit paranoid about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom