Build Wilma Build

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not letting any grass grow here. Had the frame rails welded and extended today. My buddy killed it.

Here’s the before:

IMG_5113.webp


And after:

IMG_5118.webp


IMG_5119.webp


IMG_5120.webp


Tomorrow I will prime and paint these with a few coats.

On Thursday, I have an appointment at Velocity Dry Ice Blasting to get the frame rail extensions touched up and coated inside and out. Then I’ll try installing the bumper again this weekend.

Velocity had my rig for three days a couple weeks ago and did the entire undercarriage and a really great job. The coating is transparent and is not sticky or waxy. I’m shocked how great the undercarriage looks.
 
It’s with C&C for the install. Johnny has the 750f on their shop 80 since May.... DM him. I'm hearing nothing but good things about it. And might aswell do the Tcase 3:1, that combo will benefit even better for crawling.
Just heard from Johnny that my stage 2 kit with the black ECU and big fuel kit is on its way!

I’ll have to ask him about the 750f conversion.

I’m thinking I’ll get the turbo kit in and see how things are going before I bite off any more!
 
killing me..... but dang 2x the power ...... love to see her get massaged like this !
Next time you are out near Utah you’ll have to come drive her!
 
Just heard from Johnny that my stage 2 kit with the black ECU and big fuel kit is on its way!

I’ll have to ask him about the 750f conversion.

I’m thinking I’ll get the turbo kit in and see how things are going before I bite off any more!
Don't wait too long. A750F is getting harder to find from yota. And the bell housing is selling out from WAT
 
What did the tranny run you?
Toyota Dealership charges the core. So with discount and tax was around $3800-if I recalled.
You can try the junkyard or dismantlers but not guarantee its low milege nor condition.

Driving the stage 2 with the nomad body valve holding the gears longer is great but imagining an extra gear was always in the back of my mind.
 
Last edited:
Don't wait too long. A750F is getting harder to find from yota. And the bell housing is selling out from WAT
There will be more runs of bellhousings and Toyota is fulfilling A750F orders rather quickly. One was just delivered last week that was originally going to be "october"
 
Frame rail extensions are done (not really an extension, more like a restoration I guess, back to the correct original length).

Yesterday it took me a couple long hours to finish work on them. I test fit the Dissent bumper, and you can see here that our “extensions” we welded on were just a tad bit too long so the bumper didn’t slide on all the way. Note the misalignment of the holes on the left.

IMG_5137.webp


So I cut about 1/4” off so the bumper can be pushed on all the way. The holes on the left now align perfectly. Then I marked the holes that need to be drilled on the right.

IMG_5140.webp


Ready to drill …

IMG_5141.webp


Once the bumper is hung on the rails, I won’t be able to get nuts on the back of these bolts so they will have to be tapped. I’m going with M12x1.25 which is a good sized bolt.

IMG_5147.webp
 
Last edited:
After I drilled two holes on the side and one on the bottom of each rail and then tapped them, I cleaned everything up and degreased them and hit them with primer and paint.

The metal we welded on the end is a lot thicker than the frame rails. The stock frame rails are about 1/8” thick and what we welded on is closer to 3/16” or even 7/32”, so the tapped holes look nice and beefy. I’m really happy with how it turned out. When I test fit the bumper all the holes lined up perfectly.

End result:

IMG_5167.webp


The truck is currently at Velocity for a touch up of the Dinitrol on the new ends and then we head home. I’ll give it a couple days to cure and hang the bumper this weekend.

What a curve ball that was! But I’ll feel better about that heavy ass bumper knowing it’s not going to fall off.

The stage 2 kit parts from @Cruisers and Co should have been delivered to my PO Box yesterday so I’ll stop by there on my way home to see.

I was really hoping to have the turbo kit installed and tuned before CruiserFest but I don’t know if a month is realistic for me doing this DIY in that amount of time. I’m pretty savvy mechanically but with my luck will have plenty of unforeseen hurdles… just like this bumper was.
 
Last edited:
Stage 2 parts are here! I have all of my turbo kit now, I believe, except the gauges and a way to mount them. I think the only “while you’re in there” parts I’m doing is the power steering cooler. I also want to order new engine mounts. I’m definitely open to recommendations of other items I should address while doing this.

IMG_5183.webp


Waiting for the weekend is boring. I got the hitch crossmember and hitch stiffeners installed. Everything looking straight and lovely. This bumper is definitely going to be heavier than the 4x4 Labs one I took off.

IMG_5185.webp


Unrelated — major microburst rainstorm last in our area. Been getting tons of texts like this one this morning asking for drainage other help.

Former gas firepit - now a swimming pool 😂 👇🏻👇🏻

Good for business! I need to pay for all this expensive stuff!

20260813_193121.webp
 
Oil catch can (personal preference) and blue fan clutch mod if not already.
 
I got the bumper, swing arms, tire mount and Jerry can mount installed. Working on the combo light wiring and trailer wiring.

image.webp


This post was helpful deciphering factory harness wires for the trailering harness.

I’ll post more pics of the final bumper install soon.
 
Guess I need to post the final pics with the Dissent rear bumper, haha.

IMG_5576.webp


IMG_5577.webp


IMG_5578.webp


IMG_5579.webp


I really like that I can open and slam shut each swing arm independently. Loving the bumper!
 
Getting started with the turbo kit installation. LFG!

IMG_5573.webp


Stage 1 box (top right)
Intercooler box (bottom right)
Stage 2 box (left)

Also ordered a Power Steering Cooler. Don’t have my gauges or gauge pod yet, but those are coming this week.

Started with Johnny’s video. Right off the bat I realized my turbo is not clocked like in the video. @Cruisers and Co sent me a new bracket for the waste gate actuator. I loosened the bolts on the turbo to rotate it but I’m kinda stuck trying to get this bracket to line up correctly. I’m probably doing something wrong.

The bracket doesn’t seem to want to line up with the bolt holes. If I align the bracket and not the holes, then the bolt holes are not aligned and I can only get one bolt in. On the other hand, if I align the bolt holes, then the bracket is skewed:

IMG_5568.webp


I’ve extended the rod as much as I can — it’s connected with a single thread. Prob not ideal:

IMG_5566.webp


I have gotten the bracket to sit as possible to flat as I can, which puts the WG actuator rod in this angle (not downwards like in the instruction video):

IMG_5574.webp


And at this arrangement it me get one bolt in, and now I just need to bend or drill the bracket to get the other bolt in:

IMG_5575.webp


If anyone solved this and I’m doing it wrong, I’d love some input! Ha
 
Welp - good news. One quick email to C&C and less than 5 minutes later Johnny responded. Yep, I’m doing it wrong. Apparently I should have been clocking the turbo to 7:30-8:00.

When I did that, the waste gate actuator bracket lines up like it should.

Much better!

IMG_5582.webp


IMG_5583.webp


IMG_5584.webp
 
Burrito basket must come out.

IMG_5592.webp


One burrito basket up for grabs

IMG_5593.webp

Air box cover and air pipe coming out

IMG_5594.webp


And it’s out…

IMG_5596.webp


Labeling connectors because my memory is only 5 seconds long…

IMG_5597.webp
 
Last edited:
I decided to pull these exhaust heat shields off so I could more easily remove the exhaust Y pipe and the very first bolt broke right off.

Does this mean they’re all going to break off?

What’s the solution here? Any tips? I don’t want to have to drill and tap all six of these…

IMG_5601.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom