Builds Who likes addition? (FJ-60 + 1HZ) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, after getting back from Cruise Moab, I started to tackle the seats....

First job was to modify the suspension seat bases from a 70 series to fit these seats.
seats 3.jpg

You'll notice that one is collapsed, and one is extended in this photo, to show the range of height that the suspension seat base has. Roughly 2.5"
seats 4.jpg

Here's the bottom of the PT Cruiser seats--very easy to fabricate to.
seats 5.jpg

And here's the tacked up brackets that I welded onto the suspension base:
seats 6.jpg

Here it is measuring the height. Dad's 60 (which has Procar seats from IPOR) sits about 1/2-3/4" lower than these. So I think this will work out nicely. I'll also try to mount the seat bases as low as possible when I modify the body to fit them--since the diver's seat is also electrically adjustable vertically.
seats 7.jpg

And here's the general height of the two assembled seats:
seats 9.jpg

The passenger seat does something that I don't know if I will find useful or not: it folds flat. Finally I can have a table right next to the drivers seat! (?)
seats 8.jpg

And yes, these will be heated seats. Now that the bases are modified, the seats will get recovered over the next couple of months (whenever Mom has some time to do it). The seats will almost surely be ready well before the truck is.

That's all for now. Back to the grind for me.....

Dan

Just checking in to make sure you had a turbo for it. ;D

The HZ with a Garrett doesn't get very hot for me. This last trip out to Utah and back I was running about 650F at 65mph. Climbs I got it up to 950-1050F. My limiting factor this trip was water temps because I think I have a sticky thermostat. So at least with the disco potato you shouldn't have to worry about EGTs. Kevin Rowland got about 100-200F better than me before he started having engine problems. Mine has been going strong for 4 years with basically the same setup (changed turbine housing out to get earlier spooling for high altitude running). I still don't have water plumbed for the turbo to use while cooling down for shutoff.

Depending on what the deal with the engine is, remember it loosens up after about 50K miles and starts to run happier as well. Pressure from the old turbine housing was about 9 max, now it is much more active and up to 11psi. Keep pressure mellow and fuel mellow and you shouldn't see any drama with well working components.

I like my 4x4Labs sliders and rear bumper. Definitely do the kits. Lets you do things just right. Luke and I built mine at his shop so I got lucky to have someone with a better eye than me build and install.

Man your hoard is looking something like mine. I keep getting more dieselly too ('64 FJ40 gets the '82 BJ42's guts, '85 pickup gets an OM617, but the '65 FJ454 keeps its plant for obvious reasons.. and I am thinking of another 1HZ for the '79 40 one day).

Just checking in to make sure you had a turbo for it. ;D

Why yes I do. The question is WHICH turbo to put on it. ;)

I have a Turboglide kit on the shelf, and the bits to put a Disco Potato on it as well. One will go to this, the other will go on the 45.

Good to know on the heat. That's by far my biggest worry--to limit the temps. It would be pretty nice to be able to pretty much drive with impunity since everywhere I go involves long hills up at high altitude (which means more work for the turbo to make the same HP, which means more heat). Either adding an air cooled IC (with a hood scoop), or a set of louvers to let hot air out--or maybe both. But I like the hood without a scoop, so that's a last resort for me.

I like my 4x4Labs sliders and rear bumper. Definitely do the kits. Lets you do things just right. Luke and I built mine at his shop so I got lucky to have someone with a better eye than me build and install.

Very good. I'll plan on those then.

Man your hoard is looking something like mine. I keep getting more dieselly too ('64 FJ40 gets the '82 BJ42's guts, '85 pickup gets an OM617, but the '65 FJ454 keeps its plant for obvious reasons.. and I am thinking of another 1HZ for the '79 40 one day).

It happens. They attract one another.

Dan

I really like the Potato but I am biased. In that vein, I can advise that you get a nice choice between the two turbine housings. Having run them both for over a year each, the .86 A/R is a power housing. Pressure develops later and is very good for top end kind of mid-late rpm power. The .64 A/R was perfect for me after I switched. Kept running into issues around 8,500-13,000 feet, but now since pressure builds nearly instantly and is very active over all ranges I run much smoother up high. You do get less overall power in the higher speeds. I could blip the throttle at 65mph and get up to 80 surprisingly fast and now it takes a bit longer. No practical difference in EGTs.

I'd really like to run two pressure gauges to see in/out pressures and see if they are close. I like data.

Nice project!

I wish I could find a rust free 60 body sitting like that!!! And a FF axle... and a 1HZ...

Nice project!

I wish I could find a rust free 60 body sitting like that!!! And a FF axle... and a 1HZ...

I consider myself very lucky with the stuff I acquire. Rust is my least favorite thing ever, and I'm blessed to have room to store good stuff when it comes my way, so that I can have it ready when it's time for a project.

Kept running into issues around 8,500-13,000 feet, but now since pressure builds nearly instantly and is very active over all ranges I run much smoother up high.

Can you elaborate on the issues you were having at those altitudes? I happen to live at 8500+ feet....

@beno

I'll text you later about it. ;)

I sent you an email, hermano!

Dan

What is a disco potato?

I have been thinking about servicing the rear axle on my BJ74. Clearly you are quite good at it. How about if I drop it off Saturday?

:lol:

Looking good Dan! Let me know about the direction you are going with a few of these things and maybe we can pool our buying power. I am looking to start installing both of my HZs in the next month or two as I get back on my feet. Turbo is a definite. Intercooler is looking more and more likely on both. I also want to re-seal both engines as I have them out and also maybe even swap the timing belts as a baseline...

I have been thinking about servicing the rear axle on my BJ74. Clearly you are quite good at it. How about if I drop it off Saturday?

:lol:

If I were at the folks' home in NM I'd tell you to bring it on up. Easy one day project, including powder coating the backing plates. ;)

Dan

What's going on?
I like where this is going...

Since you love rebuilding FF's, have you looked into finding a inner axle seal that could be described as a hd seal, like marlins for the front?
I have only used the oems, but even with good diff breather,some fluid passes by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom