Who is still running their original radiator? Post up! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For all the threads about failed radiators (and finding the best replacement), I'm wondering how many original radiators are still functioning just fine.

I'm about to hit 190,000 miles on my '07 LX, which I keep up pretty well (all fluids changed regularly etc.). Radiator is original and looks perfect. I just did a coolant drain/fill and the drained coolant looked like the new coolant (Toyota SLL) that I put in: clean, clear, and unstained. I've never flushed the cooling system with water, radiator cleaner, or anything other than straight coolant.

I also keep the radiator fins clean (by rinsing or using foaming coil cleaner), which I have long suspected makes a big difference in the operating temps of the radiator, and hence its longevity. The "Brown Death" that we take as an immediate precursor to radiator failure looks to me like plastic that's gotten too hot, and many photos of failed radiators show substantially clogged fin area.

Just spitballin' but I suspect that there are a lot of original radiators out there. "Plastic radiator" doesn't have to mean "unreliable" or "short-lived," IMO.

Curious to hear others' thoughts.

~285k on mine before I swapped it, no issues before I changed it. Coolant was flushed on schedule. Upper rad hose point was definitely yellowing and brittle.

I changed mine at 19.5 years/168k miles. The internal aluminum looked new. When comparing top and bottom plastic tanks there is a an obvious difference in color, both internally and externally.

2000 LC with original radiator. Currently has ~212k miles and I am getting ready to swap in a new OEM rad with hoses, tees and thermostat as preventative maintenance. No issues with the cooling system at all, but the top of the radiator is discolored quite a bit and the hoses connecting to the tees are brittle.

If you remove your upper radiator hose and it looks like this, I'd certainly change it. That's going to crumble soon, just like all the heater T's. Most OE radiator seem to fail at the seal between the end tank and the core. Shrinks over time or whatever. The tanks could be tightened down and even the seal replaced but nobody does it. Toyota used to sell those parts separately too.

img_3075-jpg.1621063

2005 with 222k miles and just changing the radiator now. Not because it leaked, but because I hit a deer and the AC condenser and / or transmission cooler was pushed into it.

Any recommendations on what brand to get? Insurance isn't going to cover the cost of OEM so I'm looking for other options. Realistically, another 5 years and 100k miles is all I expect from the LC. After that, I'm sure the northeast rust will be catching up to it.

My finding after owning an 80 and now two 100 series...

They seem to go about 175-200k miles. Maybe a bit more. I just plan on doing them at 180k, or every second TB-WP service. That will keep you out of trouble. It's easy then anyway; everything is apart.

Oh and they all get brown after heat cycles. I clean my condensors and radiators every year when it starts warming up to help make the ac run as efficiently as possible. The brown color is a sign of the plastic getting weak as others have noted.

You may have 200k on it, but you are on borrowed time, based on my stats.

I changed mine at 19 yrs old / 160k miles. it wasn't leaking but the plastic on the tanks was very discolored. The inlets were starting to deteriorate. it's cheap insuracen, a new radiator is a lot cheaper than fixing a headgasket

IMG_0643.jpg

Always just keep mine clean in both 100 and 80 series and they outlasted an engine overhaul at around half a million kilometers. That's Toyota for you.

385k and still original. Will probably change it next year as preventative maintenance when I do a 400k timing belt job. It's done its job and deserves to sleep in a landfill at this point.

Last edited:
2004 203k original, will be swapped out soon as part of the major PM.

98 LX with 313k km's. Original owner didn't do much in the way of service (e.g. didn't change the timing belt until it needed to be towed in at 236k km (146k miles)). I did a full 3 x flush and new fluid when we got it, and it looks good. I am, however, ordering new hoses, clamps, etc. on my next Partsouq order and will probably order a rad off RA.

Replaced mine last year at 19 yrs and 200k miles - was leaking. Went with new oem Toyota.

2006, 270k miles, original radiator.
Coolant color has changed from clear to murky the past 5k miles and this is my sign to order a new one.

205k 2006 - flushed the coolant at 155k when purchased from PO. Pink Toyota coolant still pink from 2020 @155k

2004 with 326,000 miles. Still on original. Replaced rad hoses and clamps this year. I also replaced the expansion tank and hose and clamps at same time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom