Which oil would say is better? (1 Viewer)

Which oil is "better" rotella 15w40 or Castrol 20 50

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About to change the oil and wanted to know if i should run rotella 15w 40 or 20 50 of some other brand. I've heard people say the rotella is really good. I want the thickest oil, so is 20w50 or 15w40 thicker?

15w40 will flow better than 20w50 at low temps....so if you don't want the oil to flow as well, use the 20w50.

Typically thicker oil (higher viscosity) for warmer countries.....
ie. 20W50 will be thicker for both higher and lower range
as compared to 15W40....

regards,
HelimanBD.

15w40 will flow better than 20w50 at low temps....so if you don't want the oil to flow as well, use the 20w50.

both are excellent oils..

It is up to you. Neither one will show much difference.

Cruisers will run on wesson oil..

One of the main advantages of the rotella oil is that it has a High Zinc content, this is good for older engines with solid lifters. Zinc content has dropped in regular conventional oils. Many corvette and old car enth. have been using rotella for the zinc additive.

20w 50 is definitely thicker but not by a tremendous amount, I would go for the Rotella. you can buy a Huge 2.5 gallon jug at Tractor Supply for around 25 bucks. Pretty cheap I think. GL Ken

I use whatever is cheap at WalMart. These are not sophisticated pieces of engineering that are running at high speeds or temps.
Before anybody gets their jockies in a knot I have 250K miles on my 2F and it runs fine.

Valvoline maxlife Synthetic

or

Quaker State Advanced Full Synthetic

The deal out there is usually to be had at Kragan of all places. About once per month, they put the Chevron Supreme on sale for $0.99 per quart. There is a rebate from Kragan that refunds $0.50 per quart. At $0.49 per quart net, this stuff is the deal of the century and it's highly regarded by the oil wacko's at Bobistheoilguy.com.

20w-50 runs all year in my FJ40, usually changed twice. Once after Rubithon, and once at the end of the summer wheeling season. If I could get 25w-60, I'd run that.

So I run what's cheap! $4 in oil per change with a $5 Napa Gold 1515. As rusty says, it isn't a high tech, high stress motor.

both are excellent oils..

It is up to you. Neither one will show much difference.

Cruisers will run on wesson oil..
Howdy! It doesn't make a lot of difference on the viscosity unless your in sub zero or 100+ weather a lot. Any name brand oil should work pretty good, just stay away from the generic stuff. I learned that one the hard way. The most important thing is to change it on a regular basis. If it looks bad, then change it again, till it stays decent looking for 3-5M miles. John

don't remember what chemical it is, but rotella has something in it that will kill cats faster, so if you have a cat, don't use it. it is designed for diesels (as mentioned above). i use valvoline 20w50, but i've heard good about the castrol too. as long as you don't use penzoil or store brand recycled stuff, you should be good.

There is no need to run expensive synthetic oils in any motor that has ever been run with conventional oil at anytime during its life. If you have a motor that you have just been rebuilt then synthetic oil will pay off big time. Synthetic oil can reduce oil temps but as to friction protection it does not provide you with any other benefit on a motor that has had conventional oil run in it. It is all about the size of the oil molecules, synthetic oil molecules are very small in comparison to conventional oil, even with the same oil viscosity.

Diesel oil like Rotella and Dello do have extra detergents that can help clean you motor and do provide more than sufficient protection. Stay away from Pennzoil, it tends to increase build up on motor parts.

I have run Rotella 15-40 for 10 plus years and the oil comes out very clean after 3,000 miles even with 220,000 miles on my motor!

don't remember what chemical it is, but rotella has something in it that will kill cats faster, so if you have a cat, don't use it. it is designed for diesels (as mentioned above). i use valvoline 20w50, but i've heard good about the castrol too. as long as you don't use penzoil or store brand recycled stuff, you should be good.
<Self moderated comment about changing the oil in the neighbors Cat.>

Valvoline 20-50 in the '40. Full synthetic in the FJC.

All the wrenches I know HATE Penzoil................why is that?

Ed

I don't know about buying whatever is cheapest. I like to stay with one brand.....which is castrol. But I'm seriously thinking about changing to rotella.

I'm sure different chemicals are used in different oils and my question is if you mix'em them all the time will it cause it to react and form "carbon build up" or something??

I ask this question after seeing my friend's Durango loose oil pressure. We towed it home and dropped the oil pan and we found a clogged oil screen going the oil pump. We cleaned it and the oil pressure went back to normal. I have no idea what he puts in it.

Valvoline 20-50 in the '40. Full synthetic in the FJC.

All the wrenches I know HATE Penzoil................why is that?

Ed

I thought is was because of the parrifin wax additive that can gum up in in some temps over time. At least thats what I heard, from someone a while back. Could be bs but it sounds smart. :flipoff2:

I use rotella

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom