Where is my coolant going? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

make sure to never mix with green coolant

I just changed the radiator and lost a about small cup of transmission oil while I was disconnection the transmission hoses from radiator
Question 1- do I need to add that much oil to transmission ? and also do I start the engine and let it idle to cycle the oil that was lost or does it need to be driven right away ?

Top it off. You should let it burp for coolant regardless. Then drive normally.

I appear to have joined this club now... noticed a bubbling sound a week ago and saw the temp climb, realized I was about 1.5 gallons low on coolant. Topped everything off, temps normal, been monitoring temperatures with a OBD reader highest was 214F going up a pass... usually in the 190's. so that seems normal... but I have to put about 8 oz. in the reservoir again.

My new radiator shows no weeping, can't see anything dripping anywhere but will look at some of the elbows mentioned here. Curious if the OP found the root cause?

I appear to have little pink spots in multiple places... all of them dry. I can't see it leaking anywhere, and can't see it wet anywhere either even right after driving. Any guesses?

IMG_2832.jpg
IMG_2833.jpg

Nak

Did you find the source of this leak?
No I have an appointment tomorrow at a shop.. will update when I have more info! It's been hit or miss on coolant loss, sometimes I add it, other times I don't, so confused what could be going on here.

had to top off about a half gallon last week because of this...
1565283962494.png
1565283982838.png

No obvious pinhole, no pddling in driver front corner, no drainage from passenger drain by firewall... There is some trail snardge (grass seeds and cottonwood cotton) in the front fins, but not much. Fins otherwise look clean and open.

I had timing and water pump done @ toyota dealership last year (they put a sticker on fan shroud whereas previous Lexus dealership didn 't leave timing evidence)...

Maybe this is boil-over then sprayback?

Radiator Cap. It is blowing through and getting sprayed all over by the fan.

Last edited:
Yeah. Saw the same thing in ouray on another GX

Yeah. Saw the same thing in ouray on another GX

Thank you sir!

Now to get the charcoal canister venting CEL sorted out. . . . 😉

If the canister is soaked it is likely the vent. If it is the purge it can do that too by pushing too much. Both are cheaper than a canister. I did all three before I put in the aux tank

Anyone running or recommend the TRD cap as a replacement?

The TRD cap is higher pressure than the factory cap. Technically it raises the boiling point of the cooling system but at the expense of possibly blowing gaskets or hoses under that higher pressure. The small difference it makes in the boiling point shouldn't matter because if your cooling system is approaching that temperature, you've got bigger problems.

No practical upsides to running the TRD cap -- only downsides IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom