where does this vacuum hose go? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm putting my engine tiger after doing a head gasket. I have a leftover hose. In my teardown, I labeled it as FSM step #44-48 which is right around removing the cams. I called it "head vacuum hose". Now I can figure out where it came from. Does anybody recognize where it should go? From the FSM diagram, it looks like it should attach to the bottom of the lower intake, but I don't see/feel a port. Thanks for the help.

IMG_20170414_191313327.jpg

Have fun putting it back where it goes. :hillbilly:

9A78F6CE-86D8-40AD-8463-875BA15EEDBE-4794-000006A25619DFD4.gif
That's the #1 water bypass hose. Connects in front of the PHH and routes through the intake to the throttle body. PITA.

I thought it was the # 1 bypass, because it looks like it on the diagram, but I've already got that hooked up. This is a smaller diameter hose. I can't find any open nipples on the engine, I marked one end as going to the block (thought I'd help myself know which end to put where), my worst option is to put it back together and hunt for the vacuum leak with a can of starting fluid, but I don't like that idea much. I guess this proves you should never tear something apart after a 12 hour day at work.

The PCV hose has similar bends and is smaller diameter.

But I agree with them looks like the #1 coolant bypass.

What's it smell like? Coolant fuel or oil?

The PCV hose has similar bends and is smaller diameter.

But I agree with them looks like the #1 coolant bypass.

What's it smell like? Coolant fuel or oil?
The house is bone dry inside. No real specific odor. It is 8mm I.d.

IMG_20170415_091545877.jpg

I don't think it could be, but how about coolant line to radiator from near distributor?

I don't think it could be, but how about coolant line to radiator from near distributor?
That's the right size, but P.O. did a can of head gasket sealer that turned the inside of the engine chalky and the hose is clean inside. I feel like a fool for not getting this figured out.

yeah, pics of engine.

How about the hose from the charcoal cannister over to the intake.

If that is not it, your gonna have to put a supercharger on it.

That's a damn big hose to be vacuum related. Could you have forgotten that you bought a replacement for that particular hose? It is the correct shape and length to be the #1 water by-pass hose.

I bet that, if you start the engine, you will know right away where it goes.

I just viewed your hose photo on my desk top monitor and I am pretty sure I see what appears to be pinkish stains from Toyota red coolant.

My bet is charcoal canister.

EDIT.....

Nope. The clamps are not correct for that. On further inspection that is the bypass hose from the back of the head to the throttle body.

If you have something in that spot already it is a new one you forgot you replaced or it came from somewhere else like the charcoal canister or you have a "friend" that thought it would be funny to toss an extra hose in the parts pile when you weren't looking.

Last edited:
My bet is charcoal canister.

EDIT.....

Nope. The clamps are not correct for that. On further inspection that is the bypass hose from the back of the head to the throttle body.

If you have something in that spot already it is a new one you forgot you replaced or it came from somewhere else like the charcoal canister or you have a "friend" that thought it would be funny to toss an extra hose in the parts pile when you weren't looking.
C.Dan, I think your right, I have a hose on the nipple just forward of the PHH. It has a second hose on top of a portion of it as a protective sheathing. You can see it coming through the manifold in the attached picture. I'm guessing, a str
ay hose found it's way onto the nipple. Are there just the three openings on the driver's side of the head and no others anywhere else?

IMG_20170415_132204402.jpg

Last edited:
The one with the sheath is probably the #3 water bypass hose, the one coming off the radiator nipple. Sheath should land right about where you would put a wrench on the distributor bolt.

Thanks
The one with the sheath is probably the #3 water bypass hose, the one coming off the radiator nipple. Sheath should land right about where you would put a wrench on the distributor bolt.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking in the end also. This is my first 1fz,

Thanks

Thanks, that's what I was thinking in the end also. This is my first 1fz,
I got it with a bad head gasket and have no under the hood time, and zero miles behind the wheel, so everything is foreign to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom