When to replace rear springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just replaced the globes on my 1998 LX470 and it made a world of difference. But now I am noticing a bit of a roll, seems a bit top heavy and has a weird feel like it rolls from the rear passenger to the front driver side, so now I am wondering if I should replace the rear springs as well (or something else, like adjusting the torsion bars). How can I tell if they should be replaced or what the next step should be.

How many miles does your LX have? I recently replaced the springs on my rig with Iron Man 2", however it's a LC w/o AHC, but it seems to have enhanced body roll. That may well be due to the fact that I replaced the OEM springs with constant rate springs instead of progressive rate which I may regret. I also recently refurbished all rear sway bar components and even that doesn't help much, but I couldn't imagine how much body roll I would have with the Iron Man springs & stock sway bar components. My rear shocks are approaching 190k miles and that will be my next replacement so maybe you should consider the same..? Just my $0.02

How many miles does your LX have? I recently replaced the springs on my rig with Iron Man 2", however it's a LC w/o AHC, but it seems to have enhanced body roll. That may well be due to the fact that I replaced the OEM springs with constant rate springs instead of progressive rate which I may regret. I also recently refurbished all rear sway bar components and even that doesn't help much, but I couldn't imagine how much body roll I would have with the Iron Man springs & stock sway bar components. My rear shocks are approaching 190k miles and that will be my next replacement so maybe you should consider the same..? Just my $0.02
Good thoughts! It has 160,000 miles on it.

Hmm okay, well how are your sway bar components in both the front and rear?

I just replaced the globes on my 1998 LX470 and it made a world of difference. But now I am noticing a bit of a roll, seems a bit top heavy and has a weird feel like it rolls from the rear passenger to the front driver side, so now I am wondering if I should replace the rear springs as well (or something else, like adjusting the torsion bars). How can I tell if they should be replaced or what the next step should be.

New coil springs in the rear would definitely let you start with known to be good parts....before you go to next step, which is balancing the system. There are several good threads on that, but basically....you need to cross balance the front (side to side via the torsion bars) and also set your pressures (front to rear). All of the procedures and recommended specs have been posted.

Do a search and you will turn it up.

'PADDO' being the resident expert here, so search using the authors name.

Your next - or really the first step - should be reading and adjusting neutral pressures and setting the system up properly. Almost certain pressures are too high if the vehicle's AHC/AVS hasn't been regularly maintained by someone/dealer who knows what they are doing. Then I'd confirm the front and rear gate valves are working as designed as a function of steering angle (they limit body roll) then sway bar links and the usual stuff.
If you don't have it yet you should get access to Techstream.

This all makes perfect sense. I will see if I can track down the thread to make sure the pressures are correct and then move onto the torsion bars if needed. Thanks everyone!

SO based on mileage what's a good time to replace your rear springs?

On a 2000 LC BTW...

SO based on mileage what's a good time to replace your rear springs?

On a 2000 LC BTW...
Completely different animal. If they're sagging, replace.

Hmm.

Guess I need to dig through my FSMs and find the stock reference to measure them and compare.

I cranked a tad on my front and still have a slight rake, drives great on the freeway. Just want to make a little room for some upcoming 285s, that's all. Had the drivers side lean so I just cranked to even both fronts.

I can't justify throwing money at it right now but know the shocks were replaced at 362K with new OEMs.

I honestly thought about a rear spacer and cranking a bit more in the front but I don't want to get carried away.

Hmm.

Guess I need to dig through my FSMs and find the stock reference to measure them and compare.

I cranked a tad on my front and still have a slight rake, drives great on the freeway. Just want to make a little room for some upcoming 285s, that's all. Had the drivers side lean so I just cranked to even both fronts.

I can't justify throwing money at it right now but know the shocks were replaced at 362K with new OEMs.

I honestly thought about a rear spacer and cranking a bit more in the front but I don't want to get carried away.
If they arent noticeably sagging, you are fine. Money is best spent elsewhere.

So best way to know if there sagging there gone ?.When I go I on speed humps sometimes I notice a spring sound like pushing on a bed spring etc ,not sure something loose or springs or shocks on AHC.

I just replaced mine with King Springs - LX is at 125k. Less than $200 on ebay. So far I am liking them - adding a rear bumper so needed he extra support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom