What the hell is goin on in Jimmy's Barn (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I finally had a chance to bring the Fire Truck for a visit to the infamous barn last night.

Jimmy made me an offer I couldn't refuse for my first gen ARB bumper, so after a quick tour of the treasure strewn across his property, we spent the evening swapping out a new second gen ARB.

1650460418637.png

1650460438454.png

We also took a little bit to install the 4 degree front axle shims I picked up from Georg, and found a front wheel bearing that was a bit on the loose side. Jimmy busted out the specialized tools to tweak it back to spec, and I was back on the road.

1650460719492.png

Thanks Jimmy!
-Rob

I finally had a chance to bring the Fire Truck for a visit to the infamous barn last night.

Jimmy made me an offer I couldn't refuse for my first gen ARB bumper, so after a quick tour of the treasure strewn across his property, we spent the evening swapping out a new second gen ARB.

View attachment 2987011

View attachment 2987012

We also took a little bit to install the 4 degree front axle shims I picked up from Georg, and found a front wheel bearing that was a bit on the loose side. Jimmy busted out the specialized tools to tweak it back to spec, and I was back on the road.

View attachment 2987020

Thanks Jimmy!
-Rob
Was awesome having you out Rob. And have to put in the shot of you doing suspension work with the “old school” style of working on the ground. If the weather was better we could have moved the other truck from the lift. Next time I’ll make sure it’s open for you :).
28EDCF7F-0C6A-4310-83C7-FD3EAE2C7F93.jpeg

You’re not a mechanic if you haven’t changed a suspension on your back.
Ha…so true. I was telling Rob last night that I did my first spring conversion on a 60 in that very same spot before I poured the concrete floor in the barn. Had to use plywood sheets, jack stands and a floor jack. That’s when I started double stacking tires under the truck for safety

Ha…so true. I was telling Rob last night that I did my first spring conversion on a 60 in that very same spot before I poured the concrete floor in the barn. Had to use plywood sheets, jack stands and a floor jack. That’s when I started double stacking tires under the truck for safety
I replaced my suspension in a public parking lot. Ha! Did my 5 speed there too. I would hate to do that work on a trail, but after working in a parking lot covered in needles and used condoms I don’t think I would complain too much.

Working in the barn even without a lift was downright luxurious compared to the last four months I've been wrenching in my apartment parking lot. I can't wait to get back home to my garage!

-Rob

Working in the barn even without a lift was downright luxurious compared to the last four months I've been wrenching in my apartment parking lot. I can't wait to get back home to my garage!

-Rob
Just being out of direct sunlight is a godsend!

Jimmy, thanks for having me at the barn. So special. It’s been too long. It’s just fine wine. Get that 2uz in. You will like it!!!

707C1348-FF13-45E4-95A5-539DB419A8A3.jpeg

Jimmy, thanks for having me at the barn. So special. It’s been too long. It’s just fine wine. Get that 2uz in. You will like it!!!

View attachment 3015746
Was awesome having you over CD. And the conversation over some drinks til 1:30 AM was rewarding. Thank you for helping me get the 100 off the trailer and the replacement motor into the barn. And a sweet 80 you picked up. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Is that Mark's 61?

Long time no update here. Been focused on the copper 60 build I’m doing for my boys mother in CO. Getting close on that one. A separate build thread documenting that one. Reminder to put it in my signature. So I get asked from time to time to do some work on other folks cruisers and actually have a little more time on my hands at the moment. So I took on a 5-speed conversion a few weeks ago. A really good guy out of Hico TX owns the truck. He’s plenty capable to do the work but has a pretty demanding day job with a lot of travel. Some other things happening are a Knucke job, oil pan gasket and rear main seal. A handful of other smaller jobs. Enjoying mixing up the activities in the barn. One of the interesting issues I’m facing that I have not seen before would be the shipping delays on the many items I sourced from Toyota. Anyhow, things are moving. Also told the owner that another issue I have is I can typically only charge folks once for a job. Dam if they don’t become good friends and then I can’t charge them anymore :).

This truck is an 84 and we are keeping the original bellhousing and crossmember. Will heat/bend the shifter to account for the more upright housing/trans. Something I thought about is seeing if the shifter from my BJ60 has a different bend. It has the more upright trans and older style cross member. Just a thought but not sure until I have a closer look.

63716FC2-6433-4401-AAA8-4FC21EC07495.jpeg

87E455F3-5A4E-4461-9CD4-1BB5D041A16B.jpeg

85B59B56-FFAE-42E1-909D-E9B0BFE80766.jpeg

5B4AD949-CECD-41E4-98E5-BC938ED1072C.jpeg

51ADCF2F-C170-44EA-8F6D-567524CA46CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful work, Jimmy.

I am tentatively thinking about a wrenching weekend for my birthday, February 3-5. Come up and visit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom