What motor is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landcruisnman

1972 FJ55 "Iron Giant"
Threads
Website
www.summitsteel.net
I’m looking at a 66 FJ40 to buy and this is the motor in it. Looks like a 2F ? Can someone confirm and about what year? It’s still got the 3spd in it..

1AA9F8B5-5373-4522-B122-406E2BDFB033.jpeg

89C483A6-0A5A-4356-96D4-22C00A6111EE.jpeg

4430F3A0-759E-498D-A746-5D22E76E8781.jpeg

E90C708E-F2BA-4652-8A93-80FF18E0C1B5.jpeg

I won't give an exact year, as so many parts can be used on many different year engines.

it is at least 1974+ looking at the oil filter location.

looks like it will be difficult to stop.

maybe non-US.

Have you checked the serial number on the block?

If you clean off the protrusion cast in the back passenger side of the engine block below the head, you can check the engine serial # against this chart to narrow down the year, for the block anyway.

And like they were hinting at above, don't underestimate the potential snowball of expenses to replace the missing booster, master cylinder, etc. If that brake line's been open to the elements for a long time, it may be full of water and rust. The wheel cylinders may be rusted shut...etc. etc. Definitely something for negotiation if they're asking too much even if the engine purrs like a kitten!

Isn't the block date on the block (driver's side), same as 1F?

does it include the missing body parts? the fiberglass top is ribbed top specific, later tops won't fit.

Back to the original question. Noting the lack of air injection ports on the head makes it more than likely that this is a non-US engine. Valve cover and fuel lines are consistent with 75-78. I imported a few of those back in the early 90s, and managed to hang on to one of the non-smog cylinder heads until almost Y2K.

It’s got all the missing parts. Fiberglass lid is there, but rough. Rear hatch is there, but not painted. Windshield cracked. Even has rear seats. Lots of new lights and emblems. Did the deal and picking up tomorrow. I’ll get some numbers off the block when I get her home..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom