What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (75 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I put it up for sale :)

Wife said if I wanted a BJ I had to stop collecting FJ's

IMG_1764.JPG

For Sale - FJ 40 San Diego Area
BJs and FJs are both getting hard to come by, as we and they get older, choose wisely!

Well I have sore hands now from lacing the last steering wheel. Glad to have that done. All I have to do now is wait on the horn pad that I ordered and reinstall. Overall I think both steering wheels came out really well. I like the feel of the leather cover a lot better than the plastic. It gives you a little more to hang onto and makes it not so skinny. Unless someone was familiar with Cruisers I don't think that anyone would realize that the leather covers weren't OEM.

20190116_061847.jpg

20190116_062310.jpg

Well I have sore hands now from lacing the last steering wheel. Glad to have that done. All I have to do now is wait on the horn pad that I ordered and reinstall. Overall I think both steering wheels came out really well. I like the feel of the leather cover a lot better than the plastic. It gives you a little more to hang onto and makes it not so skinny. Unless someone was familiar with Cruisers I don't think that anyone would realize that the leather covers weren't OEM.

View attachment 1880692

View attachment 1880694
Where are those covers from? I like the look

Where are those covers from? I like the look

They are from Wheelskins and I found them cheaper on Ebay than buying direct from Wheelskins. The Ebay store places the order and the cover is shipped directly from Wheelskins. Wheelskins website claims that for these steering wheels you need the BX size and that is incorrect. If you get the BX it will be way too big around the grip circumference. It shows the BX grip circumference size to be 3 1/4" to 3 1/2". I carefully measured my steering wheels from Wheelskins measuring instructions and went the custom order route as it didn't cost anything more to do it that way. I ordered a 17" outside diameter and a 2 7/8 grip circumference for the 1973 steering wheel and 17" outside diameter and a 3" grip circumference for the 1981 steering wheel. The 1973 is a fraction skinnier than the 1981 but you could get away using the 3" grip diameter on both. Now that the 1973 cover is on I like it because it is really form fitted and tight but it was more aggravating getting it on than the looser 3" cover. The 1973 cover is locked down and it doesn't move at all and the 1981 3" has a little give and can be forced to move a little bit. The 3" isn't going to move on it's own though you have to force it to move.

I also bought thicker waxed thread than the factory thread that Wheelskins supplied. That was just my personal preference having the thicker more durable thread. I already had some longer thicker sewing needles than what Wheekskins send you and that made lacing the covers easier. You can get larger needles at any craft store or get some at the same website if you order the thicker wax thread.

Toyota Wheelskins Leather Steering Wheel Cover All Models Custom Fit Many Colors | eBay

Waxed Thread Tubes - 50/1000 Inch / 1.3 mm

PS: If you go with the thicker thread you only need to cut off 12 feet of lace to lace the cover. That will leave you a little over a foot of thread left over just incase you need it. It is always good to have some good waxed thread and needles around for those unexpected repairs.

Last edited:
They are from Wheelskins and I found them cheaper on Ebay than buying direct from Wheelskins. The Ebay store places the order and the cover is shipped directly from Wheelskins. Wheelskins website claims that for these steering wheels you need the BX size and that is incorrect. If you get the BX it will be way too big around the grip circumference. It shows the BX grip circumference size to be 3 1/4" to 3 1/2". I carefully measured my steering wheels from Wheelskins measuring instructions and went the custom order route as it didn't cost anything more to do it that way. I ordered a 17" outside diameter and a 2 7/8 grip circumference for the 1973 steering wheel and 17" outside diameter and a 3" grip circumference for the 1981 steering wheel. The 1973 is a little bit little skinnier than the 1981 but you could get away using the 3" grip diameter on both. Now that the 1973 cover is on I like it because it is really form fitted and tight but it was more aggravating getting it on than the looser 3" cover. The 1973 cover is locked down and it doesn't move at all and the 1981 3" has a little give and can be forced to move a little bit. The 3" isn't going to move on it's own though you have to force it to move.

I also bought thicker waxed thread than the factory thread that Wheelskins supplied. That was just my personal preference having the thicker more durable thread. I already had some longer thicker sewing needles than what Wheekskins send you and that made lacing the covers easier. You can get larger needles at any craft store or get some if you order the thicker wax thread.

Toyota Wheelskins Leather Steering Wheel Cover All Models Custom Fit Many Colors | eBay

PS: If you go with the thicker thread you only need 12 feet of lace to lace the cover and that will leave you a little extra foot or so just incase you need it. It is always good to have some good waxed thread and needles around for those unexpected repairs.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated

They are from Wheelskins and I found them cheaper on Ebay than buying direct from Wheelskins. The Ebay store places the order and the cover is shipped directly from Wheelskins. Wheelskins website claims that for these steering wheels you need the BX size and that is incorrect. If you get the BX it will be way too big around the grip circumference. It shows the BX grip circumference size to be 3 1/4" to 3 1/2". I carefully measured my steering wheels from Wheelskins measuring instructions and went the custom order route as it didn't cost anything more to do it that way. I ordered a 17" outside diameter and a 2 7/8 grip circumference for the 1973 steering wheel and 17" outside diameter and a 3" grip circumference for the 1981 steering wheel. The 1973 is a little bit little skinnier than the 1981 but you could get away using the 3" grip diameter on both. Now that the 1973 cover is on I like it because it is really form fitted and tight but it was more aggravating getting it on than the looser 3" cover. The 1973 cover is locked down and it doesn't move at all and the 1981 3" has a little give and can be forced to move a little bit. The 3" isn't going to move on it's own though you have to force it to move.

I also bought thicker waxed thread than the factory thread that Wheelskins supplied. That was just my personal preference having the thicker more durable thread. I already had some longer thicker sewing needles than what Wheekskins send you and that made lacing the covers easier. You can get larger needles at any craft store or get some at the same website if you order the thicker wax thread.

PS: If you go with the thicker thread you only need to cut off 12 feet of lace to lace the cover. That will leave you a little over a foot of thread left over just incase you need it. It is always good to have some good waxed thread and needles around for those unexpected repairs.

Bookmarked for future reference; thanks Greg. This ought to be a sticky in the tech section, but I guess there's probably not a section for Steering Wheel Tech.

One down and one left to go. Digging the look and feel even better once back in the 40.

20190116_153320.jpg

20190116_153318.jpg

They are from Wheelskins and I found them cheaper on Ebay than buying direct from Wheelskins. The Ebay store places the order and the cover is shipped directly from Wheelskins. Wheelskins website claims that for these steering wheels you need the BX size and that is incorrect. If you get the BX it will be way too big around the grip circumference. It shows the BX grip circumference size to be 3 1/4" to 3 1/2". I carefully measured my steering wheels from Wheelskins measuring instructions and went the custom order route as it didn't cost anything more to do it that way. I ordered a 17" outside diameter and a 2 7/8 grip circumference for the 1973 steering wheel and 17" outside diameter and a 3" grip circumference for the 1981 steering wheel. The 1973 is a fraction skinnier than the 1981 but you could get away using the 3" grip diameter on both. Now that the 1973 cover is on I like it because it is really form fitted and tight but it was more aggravating getting it on than the looser 3" cover. The 1973 cover is locked down and it doesn't move at all and the 1981 3" has a little give and can be forced to move a little bit. The 3" isn't going to move on it's own though you have to force it to move.

Crap... wish I’d seen/known this before I ordered and laced up mine! Since the wrap felt too big, my fix was to wrap the wheel with flex athletic tape (redneck 101) and then apply... actually worked well and gave wheel a cushioned feel :grinpimp:

F5761436-36BA-406A-AC98-80690E15ABF9.jpeg

E6DEB03E-D198-4BB7-B651-4343F7C3BF6F.jpeg

Crap... wish I’d seen/known this before I ordered and laced up mine! Since the wrap felt too big, my fix was to wrap the wheel with flex athletic tape (redneck 101) and then apply... actually worked well and gave wheel a cushioned feel :grinpimp:

View attachment 1881560
View attachment 1881559

Man that does look good. Having the thicker wheel has to feel good to hang onto. At first I just did a quick glance at your photo. I had to quickly do a double take to make sure that wasn't my photo. We have a lot of the similar look in our 40's other than the year differences. :cheers:

Is that an interior light mounted on your dash?

Yes it was on there when I bought the 40 and I didn't remove it. It comes in handy at times. I have a green led bulb in it so it is bright but doesn't blind you when it is on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom