What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In the renaissance fine craftsmen after finishing a piece of furniture or the like would make a gouge in an obscure place so the piece would not be perfect because nothing was to be more perfect than god.
Luckily I am not infallible so don't have to worry about any wrath coming down on me.
Don't beat yourself up too much. It isn't going top matter much after you go under so low tree branches.
Besides most people will not notice and the ones that do....Meh.

Finally got some new shoes! Went with the 7.00X15 Power King Super Traction. Pros: Looks good, hopefully wont go flat every week, feels like I have power steering now. Cons: Bumps are a lot more pronounced, a little more noisy. I'm sure I'll have more to add to the list as time goes on.

20180220_163023.jpg

20180220_163351(1).jpg

The good news:

Engine is in!

My lovely wife assisting in the 32 degree garage.

82431E2F-28A0-4BBD-82B0-F4245D394BD9.jpeg

79EA7CB7-A39C-4DD2-B464-06EED8809B4C.jpeg

The bad news is - the Walker Y-pipe referenced a bunch of times for this very setup doesn’t fit. It’s about an inch too wide...

A7D79B78-841B-4BA9-9F18-88AD8AEDF5DA.jpeg

Any of the V8 guys on here use this pipe? If so, did it require some coercion?

What weird is this pipe lined up exactly with the homebuilt y pipe I pulled from this same setup (V8, 2” rams horns). Not sure what gives unless the Dorman rams horns taper in toward the block more than the stock ones I pulled off.

I seen not to long ago someone posted using this VW power junction block.(I apologize, I looked and couldn't find who to give the credit to) This works awesome. The worst part was making the square holes in the bracket for it to mount on.

wiring.jpg

Let there be light!! What a milestone!! All those hours of wiring have paid off!! I was even able to bump the starter and the motor turns over!! Talk about filling my tank with some fuel!! It was getting low, not anymore. She will be running in no time.

wiring1.jpg

Finally got some new shoes! Went with the 7.00X15 Power King Super Traction. Pros: Looks good, hopefully wont go flat every week, feels like I have power steering now. Cons: Bumps are a lot more pronounced, a little more noisy. I'm sure I'll have more to add to the list as time goes on.

View attachment 1638257

View attachment 1638258

The tread on those tires look a lot like the Armstrong Tru Tracs of long ago.

Not Much Longer Till A Long-Block Now ....................

1981 USA Spec. 2F W/ Oil Cooler

- Filled Crankcase with 8.5 qts Valvoline 20w50 & 10w40 Conventional Motor Oil

- Added 1 pint / 16 FL oz LUCAS Racing ZDDP TB Zinc plus Engine Break-In Oil Additive (Spec'd by my machine shop's Master Machinist )

( This is primary for the new OEM Cam Shaft & Re-Surfaced Lifters , But all general break in period engine internal parts )

- I Then manually primed the engine with a drill & screwdriver on end , ( The drill was spinning at approx 50-60 rpm's for 5 minutes Per machine shop instructions )

- I am using basic good quality conventional motor oil for initial engine Break-In & Drain Phase , I chose 20w50 & 10w40 Mix , To give me a approx weight 15w45 due to the Solid Lifter Design & Technology of a 1981 USA Spec. 2F ..................

DSCN5844.JPG
DSCN5847.JPG
DSCN5848.JPG
DSCN5849.JPG
DSCN5850.JPG

Last edited:
@RAGINGMATT are you also planning on using the LucasZDDP additive routinely or just during break in? Looks to be a good product.

Hi @tls3601 ,

I had not thought about using it long term with regular 3k oil & filter changes ? I plan to and do now Run Full Synthetic Valvoline 20w50 in all my solid lifter toyota engines & 10w40 mobile 1 Full synthetic in My Late model Tundra & Tacoma's

The question Now is ...................o_O

Can adding this Lucas to a Full Synthetic motor oil increase its protection and performance too ?

I will absolutely be doing my home work @Lucas.com to find out and report back :idea:

One thing I can say from a concrete facts stand point is Internal Engine parts manufactures of camshafts and solid lifters recommend the use of the Zinc Phosphorous Product during engine rebuilding break in period . & I know Lucas is NOT a Ghetto brand product line either .................

This is NOT Slick 50 Bull sh#t ..;)

Hi @tls3601 ,

I had not thought about using it long term with regular 3k oil & filter changes ? I plan to and do now Run Full Synthetic Valvoline 20w50 in all my solid lifter toyota engines & 10w40 mobile 1 Full synthetic in My Late model Tundra & Tacoma's

The question Now is ...................o_O

Can adding this Lucas to a Full Synthetic motor oil increase its protection and performance too ?

I will absolutely be doing my home work @Lucas.com to find out and report back :idea:

One thing I can say from a concrete facts stand point is Internal Engine parts manufactures of camshafts and solid lifters recommend the use of the Zinc Phosphorous Product during engine rebuilding break in period . & I know Lucas is NOT a Ghetto brand product line either .................

This is NOT Slick 50 Bull sh#t ..;)

At the risk of starting an oil thread........Since you are planning 3k oil changes have you considered using Valv VR1? It is conventional with ZDDP. I run it in my flat tappet motors (351W and 2F).

Racing Oil FAQ - Valvoline®

At the risk of starting an oil thread........Since you are planning 3k oil changes have you considered using Valv VR1? It is conventional with ZDDP. I run it in my flat tappet motors (351W and 2F).

Racing Oil FAQ - Valvoline®

I purchased the LUCAS additive at NAPA , they also carry Valv VR1 , I am new to the Zinc / ZDDP topic , I was following My master machinist's strict protocol , I did however do my homework at LUCAS.com and the Mechanical Science & Metallurgy makes sense to me .

i will research the Valv VR1 and report back ,

I have been using Mobil 1 since high school circa 1992 & have nothing bad to report & everything Good & great to say

except they Don't make a 20w50 Mobil 1 for some reason ? only Valvoline full synthetic does

I also Use Mobil 1 Multipurpose ATF in ALL my late model Tundra & Tacoma toyota power steering systems & ATM transmissions / transfer-cases when called for , with great success for many years as well

Mobile 1 Full synthetic RED multipurpose grease covers land-cruiser and tundra Tacoma , drive shafts & tie rod ends , center arms etc ..

It seams i may have started a " Full Synthetic Mobile 1 Products " " Sub-Thread " ...............:eek:

It covers dextron III & Type T IV applications , I am unsure about "world service" ?

Pulled top, sides and rear doors today. Taking top and sides to painter for touch up work. New OEM weatherstripping will be installed when pieces go back on. Seriously thinking how much fun a ragtop would be . . .

full

full

full

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom