What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (62 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2D981E9A-7819-4C2B-9B37-07D22364CA8A.jpeg
Dropped off totally disassembled fj40 at body shop for complete strip and paint. Rustic green.

I bought a 2F from another member a few months ago. Looked to be pretty rough, but I saw a lot of useful parts that I wanted to clean up and flip on fleabay. Finally got to taking it apart this week.

Took off the oil pan and....drumroll...everybody making the drumroll sound?

5694c733-7094-46ed-8eb8-4aab754a64c9-jpeg.1615754

6b72fc34-37fe-4a1c-9554-35bb009c126e-jpeg.1615757

0c6a3b7d-8069-42f0-a6f8-f6c19e3fea16-jpeg.1615758

83350ebe-8bf2-4536-bd8d-7747015e4157-jpeg.1615756

Took it apart to find out the engine is freshly built with all new parts. New pistons, new rings, new rods, new caps, new and also balanced crankshaft, new OE cam, new bearings, new lifters, new pushrods, new seals, new oil pump and oil pick-up. Everything is new. Cylinders are honed with a great cross-hatch too. Hell, even the oil pan is new. Someone spent a fortune on this thing.

My theory, is after it was reinstalled, the truck was wrecked, and the engine was pulled. It stayed outside, were it got covered with grime and rust, and then traded hands enough times that no one knew its condition.

At first I thought it was just a low mileage 2F, but after finding the crankshaft bolts were replaced with non-jis zinc plated hardware, 3-piece oil pan gasket, and noticing that the bottom on the block had machine marks where it makes contact with the oil pan gasket, I knew right away this was rebuilt.

I’m pumped! :bounce:

Not sure if I’ll sell it, or save it for my next 40.

Considering I paid $600 for the engine, tranny, and x-fer case (both look brand new on the inside) I’d say I did pretty well. ;)

0ba11b80-8c5a-4c44-816f-459ae13be79e-jpeg.1615759

Last edited:
I bought a 2F from another member a few months ago. Looked to be pretty rough, but I saw a lot of useful parts that I wanted to clean up and flip on fleabay. Finally got to taking it apart this week.

Took off the oil pan and....drumroll...everybody making the drumroll sound?

5694c733-7094-46ed-8eb8-4aab754a64c9-jpeg.1615754

6b72fc34-37fe-4a1c-9554-35bb009c126e-jpeg.1615757

0c6a3b7d-8069-42f0-a6f8-f6c19e3fea16-jpeg.1615758

83350ebe-8bf2-4536-bd8d-7747015e4157-jpeg.1615756

Took it apart to find out the engine is freshly built with all new parts. New pistons, new rings, new rods, new caps, new and also balanced crankshaft, new OE cam, new bearings, new lifters, new pushrods, new seals, new oil pump and oil pick-up. Everything is new. Cylinders are honed with a great cross-hatch too. Hell, even the oil pan is new. Someone spent a fortune on this thing.

My theory, is after it was reinstalled, the truck was wrecked, and the engine was pulled. It stayed outside, were it got covered with grime and rust, and then traded hands enough times that no one knew its condition.

At first I thought it was just a low mileage 2F, but after finding the crankshaft bolts were replaced with non-jis zinc plated hardware, 3-piece oil pan gasket, and noticing that the bottom on the block had machine marks where it makes contact with the oil pan gasket, I knew right away this was rebuilt.

I’m pumped! :bounce:

Not sure if I’ll sell it, or save it for my next 40.

Considering I paid $600 for the engine, tranny, and x-fer case (both look brand new on the inside) I’d say I did pretty well. ;)

0ba11b80-8c5a-4c44-816f-459ae13be79e-jpeg.1615759

Nice find! Sounds like you owe that mud member some gratitude and beer!

Grabbed my son and set out to replace my shocks and leaf bushings yesterday. Went with some Monroe's I bought for half off around Christmas and painted them black. Some of the old shocks had no bushings. That was easy. Next started on the leaf springs. Not so easy with my limited tool chest and trying to find the sweet spots to line everything up without ruining the threads. I had read horror stories about how hard the bushings we're to remove but mine came right out. Truck came from New Mexico so i think they just dry rotted. We we're able to got the front bushings replaced before we ran out of time. Then we took it for a quick drive. This is my first 40 so I assumed they just rode horribly. I knew the suspension needed work but I just didn't think it would make much of a difference, i was definitely wrong.

Yes bushing make a world of difference. I know on my 06 duramax i ran the stock bushings in the LCA's for 170k when i finally replaced them and it was incrediable how much nice it felt.

Took advantage of a 61* day here in the south after a 7" snow fall 4 days ago to spray the underside of the 40 and in the engine bay to flush out as much salt as I could. Then I washed it to get rid of all the salt on the exterior. Out in the sun I actually broke a sweat. Thank goodness for warm sunny days in the South!

DSCN0523.JPG

IMG_1062.jpg
IMG_1057.jpg
IMG_1082.jpg
Finally got my '76 Forty to run. It has been close to three years since it last moved under its own power. Anyway, got it running(rebuilt the carb and replaced all fuel lines) did some brake work(replaced the booster and rebuilt the M/C). The last picture is the brake fluid from (left to right) the brake booster, front disc and rear drums after some much needed bleeding. For those of you who have leaking master cylinder, take the advice and pull and drain your booster. I guessing there was close to a pint of fluid in mine.

Finishing up drip rail/gutter prep. Pondered overnight how to clean it. Figured I’d report, a dremel “EZ Lock” cutting disc works great in the gap and can safely grind rust from the inner vertical portion of the lip. EZ lock buff or abrasive flap for sanding the fiberglass. Pink chainsaw stone around the rivet heads

Shot after scraping big chunks and using a razor knife
1FF05055-9D65-45E8-841C-DA1CF492F828.jpeg

Slow but good method
B24A0123-4A5D-4277-BB87-92D9DD538D0B.jpeg

Hanging the dremel motor and using the wand attachment works slick :beer:
5142B56F-F120-4542-8FD3-6EF635FAEFA9.jpeg

Please do a write up on your install. Would love to read about this.

Yessir ... Project "Fresh Start" Restomod
Just did an update, its been a while. Ive got 2 on the go right now. We are into the 73' 6.0L LS conversion, and will start tearing down the 66' for the Cummins conversion.

Here is the 66' its going in ..

Cheers
Steve

Took advantage of another wonderful 60*+ day here in the south to adjust the doors, paint some scratches where I scratched the doors during installation and fix some wiring issues. The stainless steel paint looks terrific against the black doors and the stainless steel hardware adds a little bling as well.

Speaking of bling, I need a door handle for the passenger door, does anyone have an extra?

DSCN0524.JPG

Been a busy week (okay, maybe two). While waiting for our paint & body guy, we powder coated all the interior gray pieces, and did the upholstering. Dog is thrilled to be able to sit in the seats again! In deference to my wife, we scrounged some headrests from a Pathfinder and had them welded into the front seat frames. SOR wouldn't sell us any of their coral fabric, but we're starting to like the gray contrast.

This is a '67, so the gray is not the silvery pewter, but I missed a bit on the match- should be a touch greener, a touch glossier, and with a tiny bit of metallic... oh well, what's done is done, and we're pretty happy.

IMG_1487.JPG
IMG_1487aa.JPG
IMG_1594.JPG
IMG_1594aa.JPG
IMG_1594b.JPG

Yes, me too! My friend Chris, the previous owner, had bought the black ones (but hadn't installed them before he died) because that's all SOR had at the time. So glad to keep the stock color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom