What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (75 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a local shop mix it. I gave him the code, he mixed it or had it mixed. Is it a perfect match to '77? I guess I'll never know ;)

hOOt
Did you give him the 012 code for cygnus white? I need to do this same job very soon ans I am concerned about getting the dull almond color some have complained about.

Did you give him the 012 code for cygnus white?

Here is the leftover can and mixing recipe.

Maybe it will help

IMG_2771.JPG

Drove it to Ouray to co-host the first Solid Axle Summit. Have driven 7 passes in the last three days over 12,000'.
Will post pics as I get them. Bad service. Awesome group of folks from all parts of the country.

Picture update on wiring overhaul so far. Detailed more in my build thread.

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

I had and hour and a half to spare this morning, before getting back to loading the truck and trailer for our trip"

So, Chester and I took 44 for a highway drive out to the DNWR turnoff and back... About 50 miles total.

This is the first time I've had a chance to drive 44 since I figured out what was causing my aux tank fuel pump to not pump fuel.

I said before that Mark's (@65swb45) rebuild of my spare Aisan carb was great... Let me be clear... It was phenomal!!

You know, sometimes things change so slowly that you don't even notice they changed?

I'm reminded of a story I told before... Dianna and I bought our first color TV in Tucson, in 1971. Three years later, her parents came to stay with us for several months, on their move from Vegas to Texas. Dianna's Dad took one glance at the TV and said, "what's wrong with that TV.". I asked, "What do you mean?". He replied, "You have to strike a match to see it!"... We hadn't even noticed it was so dim.

Well, apparently 44's fuel delivery issues are an example of "slow change"... this morning, I drove up a grade that has long been challenging, when both tanks are full and 44 is loaded for a trip... I could seldom reach 60 mph... And only with a tail wind.

This morning, both tanks are full and 44 is loaded and she cruised at 75 mph... and she was "running against the wind" and made the hills look like they were standing still!! :cool:

Mark told me that her 2F should now run like an SBC... More like a Hemi, if you ask me!! :D

I still don't understand how my fuel delivery system worked flawlessly for 2 years, from the coil+, and suddenly failed on a 108* drive.

But, I'm a retired (twice) software developer... All I know about auto mechanics is what I've,learned since I bought 44 in Feb, 2014...

At any rate, here's what 75 looks like... If you need your Aisan carb rebuilt, tuned and performing like a 4-barrel, call Mark!!

I can't wait to get back home, during cooler fall weather, and take Chester in a long 44 trip... We have places to go and things to see!!

image.png

Danny, I'd make sure you're getting the correct power to the positive side of your coil... and either swap it or carry a spare. Something changed on that trip... and I want to be sure to see your pictures when you're back from your next without delays ;)

Glad to here your Asian Carb is working so well. Almost makes me wish I still had an F series, but that ship sailed a very long time ago.

Danny, I'd make sure you're getting the correct power to the positive side of your coil... and either swap it or carry a spare. Something changed on that trip... and I want to be sure to see your pictures when you're back from your next without delays ;)

Glad to here your Asian Carb is working so well. Almost makes me wish I still had an F series, but that ship sailed a very long time ago.

Thanks John!

I, also, want to make it back, without delay, so I definitely have a good spare coil, as well as a good coil in place. I also have good spares, for every component of my fuel delivery system, including the ability to bypass it all, using one of the Carter pumps... Or, even, my original OEM pump.

If this ever recurs, I'll have to spend a few hours, to allow the engine compartment to cool sufficiently, to bypass it all.

I'm very pleased with how well 44 is running right now... I have my carb cooling fan wired to a toggle switch, allowing me to run it when I deem it necessary. But, I'm going to install a 2nd and, possibly, a 3rd 12v fan under the hood, to draw more air through the engine compartment.

My snorkel pulls cooler air, to the carb, from up high. But, it's damned hot out here... Especially, with headers and especially in July and August... I suspect the engine compartment heat is causing electric component issues, at times... Perhaps the heat of the oil in the coil has actually caused coil degradation at times... So, I'll make sure I have a fan blowing over the coil, igniter and battery.

But, I have until next summer to work all that out.

Cheers!!

These trucks were made to withstand the heat of the desserts all over the world. They should be fine without a fan cooling ignition parts.
I understand why you want to go that route but I would expect the problems to come from somewhere els.

I just rolled my 40 back further in the barn, and my daughters forward so my son can move the engine hoist between them and pull the 6.2 CUCV engine I was going to use if I ever get a buyer for it.

I need the dizzle to go so I can use that cash towards an LS 6.0 whenever I can be home enough to dig back in to working on my truck.

These trucks were made to withstand the heat of the desserts all over the world. They should be fine without a fan cooling ignition parts.
I understand why you want to go that route but I would expect the problems to come from somewhere els.

I agree, Michael... But, I've shot my headers, with an infrared thermometer, on cool days, and they run at 450*, when the engine is at operating temperature.

So, my concern is not with the FJ40, per se... It's the heat caused by the headers.

I agree, Michael... But, I've shot my headers, with an infrared thermometer, on cool days, and they run at 450*, when the engine is at operating temperature.

So, my concern is not with the FJ40, per se... It's the heat caused by the headers.
Maybe you can wrap them, it wil take away some of the exhaust heat under the hood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom