What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (84 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fixed some of one rear seat.
DSCN1353.JPG
DSCN1354.JPG

Maybe it'll last till they kick dirt in my face.
DSCN1370.JPG

DSCN1369.JPG

Nice, what did you use to get it that clean? I've heard of people using maratic acid on plastics.

On the exterior I used soap, a bit of bleach, lots of scrubbing and then a bit of baking soda paste.

For the interior I plugged the holes (not very well, whoops :hillbilly: ) poured in about a cup of rice and a half and half solution of bleach and water and shook vigorously.

The bench photo makes it look amazing, but the in vehicle picture is the fairer representation of the results. It's not new, but it's probably the cleanest thing on my truck right now!

Been a busy week for Miss Scarlet. Classic Cruisers of Salida did a knuckle job and installed power steering. Master mechanic Mike did a beautiful job on the P/S. Looks OEM. They used a Toyota mini truck box and Saginaw pump. An FJ40 should steer so nice. Took the seats to a local upholstery shop to have the original covers restitched and padding replaced. I repainted the seat rails this weekend. Today, I managed to fish wire from the top of the windshield to under the dash to rewire the dome light. Even managed to make the door switches work. Not much light but hey it works.

First Back country 4x4 Trip for my sons bj70.Nw. Ontario mining roads and trails and a reclaimed mine site full of dunes and rock. Time for new owner to learn how to shift a standard on rough terrain. Finer arts of clutching and goofy footin. Lots of cursing first day. By day 3 had a good idea what he was doing. Hard to watch him go off alone in his new toy but am more confident now. Ripped off trim on gutters driving on grown over trails,oh well. Caught crazy numbers of walleye on untouched water. Got permission to camp in future right at site of portage where I sank my 60. Determined to get my 80 over it with some clearing.but have to lose the stock bumper first.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just finished sanding down the fiberglass cap for the hard top. This thing has had a hard life, been sanded at least once, a beige paint then a dark blue paint. Took a lot of time to get through both layers plus the dirt, but through it is. There is a sizeable dent over the drivers head and some of the edge that attaches to the rain gutter has a layer of bondo. Friday afternoon I take the cap to a boat shop where the lead fiberglass man will take it home and put on a layer of glass mat and a layer of cheese cloth on his own time, smooth it down and apply two coats of Dura-Tek. Once back I can block the top and have it ready for painting then install the rain gutter and then get the top finished and on the 40 ready for winter. Looks shiny because I just hosed it off and it was still wet when I snapped the photo.

Why applying two layers? There are just to many spider cracks in the top and they assured me this method will give it years of service.
DSCN0410.JPG

Here is a portion of the spider cracks I am dealing with.
DSCN0411.JPG

Last edited:
Been driving the crap out of my FJ40, partly because my daily driver P/U is in for a badly needed paint job, but mostly because I haven't enjoyed driving it this much in years. The 5.3L engine is now at the top of my list of best mods I've done to my 40. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Wiring update and a day out playing in the hills outside Harare

IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0508.JPG
IMG_0455.JPG
IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG

Working on the hardtop on my 40 right now. Just sanded down the gutter to redo it. Cracks around the rivets made for wet winters on the inside. Bought some Cygnus t-012 paint to match once I get the fiberglass where I want it. We recently acquired a 1976 FJ55 and it is in the shop getting a new carb and some other "bring it up to speed" items. Then I will do some less major work on it like belts, coolant flush, cleaning/greasing door hard wear. Lots of plans for that truck!

@Booch - Speechless..... and :cheers:

Not mine sadly. Saw this beauty in a parking lot downtown. I don't know much about 40's, but even I know that front headlight surround is upside down!
IMG_6376.JPG

IMG_6383.JPG

IMG_6378.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom