What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I bugged the dealer about when it is finally going to arrive. Maybe next week he says
This forum has been crazy helpful and fun. Thanks to you all.
I think I have my initial plans figured out:
Ditch the running boards
Romove the third row seats
Drop the tailgate, have a seat, drink a beer.

I am still trying to figure tires out. I wont need off road tires so I am thinking of putting the Michelin Defenders on Which I have used extensively on other vehicles. But, I don’t want to do that if the Dunlops will be safe. i am a bit concerned about the hydroplaning reports with that tire.

thanks again.

I wouldn't say the Dunlops are a great tire, but I've driven in some pretty heavy downpours here in Florida with no hydroplaning issues. I have to admit I only had about 11K miles on them when I put on some KO2s So maybe nearer the end of their life their performance drops enough to be as described by many.

They do wear out a bunch faster than the Defenders, so it won't be all that long before you can swap without feeling bad about it.

If you remain concerned, ask the dealer how much they want to do the swap before delivery. Might get decent credit since the Dunlops are "new".

Well I bugged the dealer about when it is finally going to arrive. Maybe next week he says
Ditch the running boards

I am still trying to figure tires out. I wont need off road tires so I am thinking of putting the Michelin Defenders on Which I have used extensively on other vehicles. But, I don’t want to do that if the Dunlops will be safe. i am a bit concerned about the hydroplaning reports with that tire.

thanks again.

I have 21k on my Dunlop tires, I haven’t had any hydroplaning, but have read that a lot of people do. I plan on going to KO2s before summer. @LBridges is on target here I think. I know Discount Tire will give you a decent credit for trade ins if it is something they want. Surprisingly, these Dunlop tires are very pricey $254 last I looked.

Mom is in town for a few days and loved the new rig. I mentioned I needed to figure out a pad for the dog. ...So this morning, she was hard at work on a @TrekboxX pad for the LX. All she needed was a $150 sewing machine and a trip to the fabric store. Grandma has skills! She even figured out a way to secure the pad with elastic inside the outer compartments.

So, if you ever find yourself overlanding in Baja and need some custom tailoring, there is an old lady on the Sea of Cortez that loves to do this stuff!

IMG-8285.jpg
IMG-8289.jpg
IMG-8295.jpg
IMG-8297.jpg

Last edited:
you lucky $%^&& ! I hope you deserve her! Do you know how hard it is to find a lady with those skills nowadays..

you lucky $%^&& ! I hope you deserve her! Do you know how hard it is to find a lady with those skills nowadays..

Ha! Probably not. My wife can't even sew a button back on. Luckily, Grandma is passing her skills on to her granddaughter. My little girl has been on sewing non-stop since Grandma arrived. Love to see it too!

Ditch the running boards

thanks again.
I have 39k miles on the Dunlops and they are fine. I have had no hydroplaning at all, going fast in Florida downpours. They aren’t great handling tires but they’re certainly safe. I had better tires on my previous Tahoe, and the LC feels much more planted on wet roads in spite of the Dunlops.

New starter installed today at 230,000 miles. I purchased the parts separately, and the dealer only charged 3 hours for the labor.

Having just done it, I'd say that's 3 hours is a very impressive time! What does the book allow for a 200? I was into it about five hours, though I also removed the UCA to re-bush it as well as re-gasketed the exhaust back to the silencer and replaced the front O2. Very fortunate that mine was a CA truck and has virtually no rust. All hardware came off with relatively low pressure on the first try.

Got oil in your spark plug tubes? Have you replaced your seals in the valve cover but there is still oil? I did.

It's where the tube is pressed into the block. The tubes cannot be bought outside of purchasing a new block, so if you damage one, it's gonna suck. But... I can fix this issue now! I'm pretty pumped if you can't tell. It's been bothering me for a long time ever since I starter heading about it on the Tundras. (I left being the ASE mechanic at a Toyota when I graduated college and went back into the Army, so the 5.7 wasn't out yet for me to have fun with it) I'm just happy that my 5.7 is 100% sealed, something that the factory failed to do.

What was the fix?

I have 39k miles on the Dunlops and they are fine. I have had no hydroplaning at all, going fast in Florida downpours. They aren’t great handling tires but they’re certainly safe. I had better tires on my previous Tahoe, and the LC feels much more planted on wet roads in spite of the Dunlops.

Good feedback from 3 members on the Dunlops. I will get a quote from the dealer, but keeping them sounds like a reasonable approach also. Thank you.

What was the fix?
They needed to be removed and resealed. The issue is that it’s a tiny, fragile piece of metal and it’s pressed in. Required making a custom tool to make it work successfully.

Had @Cruiserhiggs install the Dobinsons snorkel. I think maybe the Safari's fit better, but its not bad. Annoying that the holes in the template are wrong and Dobinsons is aware of the problem, yet still shipped it. It looks fine and seems to work as intended, just not as tight up to the A-pillar as I would have hoped. Rock solid install though.

IMG_0532.jpeg

IMG_0534.jpeg

Had a Safari Snorkel installed by Gary Kardum of Mudrak Custom Cruisers.

View attachment 2187953

View attachment 2187954

Saw your snorkel getting installed and told my wife, “we need one too.” :)
It’s not small!

Got the BP-51 put on at Mudrak. Still working on getting the height figured out. Front preload was not set for stock weight, and I don’t think those are 2721 rear springs...Gary will sort it out soon. Spidertrax on order.

0C6965D4-6431-4AB3-A3FF-6B271D82CB31.jpeg

Found! Sucker road the frame rail for at least 5,000 miles. Can’t believe it was still there. Cleaned it up with a wire brush and flushed fines with water and air.
CDC4954A-00F3-4D1C-A3CF-2BCFB4CCDBE6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom