What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (40 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice. Is that battery powered? If so, any idea how long it would run on a single battery?

The National Lunas wire into the 12V system.
No batteries of their own. Fantastic lights with three levels of brightness for both red and white modes. Also has a low-voltage sensor in case you forget and leave it on for a week in your parked truck... :)

I have a Kenwood TM-D710 with the APRS working and I like it a lot. I have not hooked it up to an external display but will do that at some point. It also has the ability to do cross band repeat from an HT.
2K_07vFxWuKysbOwWCsG-U41GqIUwrzBCsb20GHMSuKr10lKeQDcdnpCcUy5ec5EuAhl_OcKoGqFpA6kYPrpaECxwYOu0ueKpNqyU9yqVr7xZx2qAcFHHuM7vNBAOcTQG63cYxIvItdCm1JvmLXtPJL0C4iUufvHyIq4-IE3-6ku5Z2JkMdwk4ZV0Jffw249FG_Iv-ni3yZtsKXePvU62g6_Kl00laoRkq-TwE8Z6QQO9U544s0LUgiSzo274jTd-y-HM679511xGfmAaK4OZB3IN4QR5ItZFf5f3N4wuYVxVRCvKQrvAUTaTTMc4-BTpthzZ95eCSW1R6ybAR6EEyiEli9hUPF85_qMv9Wt-DSdYnZTMPsFLGvT7P-QdtdMOzsqbQur1OvVkdEQlFEyIJ9GGmhrhFJJOz2M9-bqwEjmiZVaqabMNon5Km-XMd8fD1LzcNytK2S3zkwLpkOLKaaxIwMk6vVvRo9p4ZYNwn482zEsr-vs8LI5ZTRC3sqIJyKI4_BqhypOyFghTaQn-GsBylSFzwrL--fttsQcjHlhrVlVhwKXyFcicjClR4av2yDqR6PvWf9FYSSYKZMsNeOAlRKcOD5PFIe8RkkP00TWsqJa-6l0_Qpoalcmh26qqFN5rLT7ZFrl44slg8YUl22jON1ZKUtqFt2ohJPuKtZC0DLehx3iRseRjjnN3fvDnNjRQ5ZIxcUH_8wxUAtL83GJ=w640-h480-no

If you are interested you can follow yesterday's wanderings here.

Thanks for info @Mendocino .
Curious about experience tracking other vehicles where no stationary repeaters & no cellular service is available. Have you had occasion to try that with other trucks in a group that are out any cellular or stationary repeater range? -Thinking of scenarios like Baja, where repeaters aren’t an option, or where you are simply out of range of anything but your own mobile group of APRS units.

Last edited:
Picked up the ARB drawers I ordered yesterday from 4 Wheel Parts on the way home from work today at 17:45 and installed them tonight. Took a break for dinner, and finished up about 23:30. Lesson learned = probably a better job for a Saturday and during daylight. Anyway, it’s done. Really like them. Now I need some organizers! I’m really surprised by how much room there is in the drawers.

Much tighter fit between wheel wells than I anticipated. It’s really crammed in there, and I certainly did some plastic scratching.

Thanks to those who posted install pics and info previously. That was very helpful.

Picked up the ARB drawers I ordered yesterday from 4 Wheel Parts on the way home from work today at 17:45 and installed them tonight. Took a break for dinner, and finished up about 23:30. Lesson learned = probably a better job for a Saturday and during daylight. Anyway, it’s done. Really like them. Now I need some organizers! I’m really surprised by how much room there is in the drawers.

Much tighter fit between wheel wells than I anticipated. It’s really crammed in there, and I certainly did some plastic scratching.

Thanks to those who posted install pics and info previously. That was very helpful.

View attachment 1908798

View attachment 1908799

Nice work!
I see you’ve already discovered the hook and loop compatible drawer covering. :) You can fit a TON of quick-grab items on those drawer fronts and side fit-kit fronts with the right hook attachments...

Nice work!
I see you’ve already discovered the hook and loop compatible drawer covering. :) You can fit a TON of quick-grab items on those drawer fronts and side fit-kit fronts with the right hook attachments...

Thanks! Following your lead (and images) I've already been scouring the interweb for gadgets. First box arrives tomorrow :)

I'll post this, even though it might not be popular...

I used the tip from @Markuson and ordered four of those 5.11 Tactical "Light Writing" pouch thingys for stuffing tools and other quick grab items, to stick on the fuzzy part like that. I don't like them, they are not working out. Every thing I stuff in them (pliers, screwdrivers, Sharpies) falls out the bottom, then gets caught on the bottom lip when I slam the drawers closed. I have to constantly futz with them. I'll save you the details on the horrible customer experience I had with them as well.

Looking for a better solution.

I'll post this, even though it might not be popular...

I used the tip from @Markuson and ordered four of those 5.11 Tactical "Light Writing" pouch thingys for stuffing tools and other quick grab items, to stick on the fuzzy part like that. I don't like them, they are not working out. Every thing I stuff in them (pliers, screwdrivers, Sharpies) falls out the bottom, then gets caught on the bottom lip when I slam the drawers closed. I have to constantly futz with them. I'll save you the details on the horrible customer experience I had with them as well.

Looking for a better solution.

Certainly you have to fit the loop to an appropriately sized item. I do not have the problem you describe.

But notice that I keep the open loops near the bottom so that even tight-fitting tools rest on the bottom surface. Otherwise, any elastic band will allow eventual movement downward.

But even during a jarring Baja trip...nothing came loose from my drawer hook& loops.

**If you want to keep pens back there, consider this...with its closed-bottom slots on the left.

Here:
BLACKHAWK! 22GA01BK Go Box Tool Panel, Small, Black Amazon.com : BLACKHAWK! 22GA01BK Go Box Tool Panel, Small, Black : Sports & Outdoors

Last edited:
This is what I'm talking about, drives my OCD off the rails:

That Blackhawk thing looks perfect, but is probably a little too big to fit in that spot. Unfortunately "Currently Unavailable" :frown:

This is what I'm talking about, drives my OCD off the rails:

View attachment 1909179

That Blackhawk thing looks perfect, but is probably a little too big to fit in that spot. Unfortunately "Currently Unavailable" :frown:

At risk of sounding direct...you’re doin it wrong. :) hehe.

Move that Velcro piece to the very bottom, and flip that screwdriver...handle down and against bottom...driver end upward. For hanging scissors...consider the side fit kit where it can hang pointed downward like that. But paired with a screwdriver ain’t gonna work.

Look closely at my drawers zoomed in. Screwdrivers like yours sit very happily at the bottom in reverse of yours.

Also consider multiple attachments to fully take advantage of the space. And ya, the other product I linked to is great too...especially for thin-handles Pilar’s or pens, etc. also great without assistance of resting against the bottom surface if you use it elsewhere bc the pen slots are closed at the bottom.

Finally... On the 5.11 piece you have, notice on mine where the larger items are? Those are the same 5.11 units, but I simply cut the threads out of the middle separator. This turns those two loops into one bigger loop. Works a charm. Notice all heavy items sit at the bottom. Also...you want the straps tight. So no need for tiny screwdriver. Let the elastic do it’s job...nice and tight. After it’s been in the loop for a while, it holds its empty shape enough to where the screwdriver easily goes back in without fiddling with the elastic.

This setup really works wxtremely well and stays put no matter what with a bit of tweaking as I’ve described. :) Totally get the OCD thing, by the way. I’m the worst. But this setup is one of my most-used tweaks ever.

Zoom in on this photo and see notes:

Last edited:
It's not what I did TO my LC this week.....it's what I did FOR my LC this week.

Got my 200 series a companion for the garage. A smaller, yet more powerful German girlfriend.... :)

It's not what I did TO my LC this week.....it's what I did FOR my LC this week.

Got my 200 series a companion for the garage. A smaller, yet more powerful German girlfriend.... :)

Yummy F80. 6 spd or DCT?

I just sold my wife's F30 M Sport. I hope that in a couple years the new M2 Competition depreciates like the M2 recently has, and then maybe I can pick one up.

Yummy F80. 6 spd or DCT?

I just sold my wife's F30 M Sport. I hope that in a couple years the new M2 Competition depreciates like the M2 recently has, and then maybe I can pick one up.

DCT...It's a 2016, pretty loaded except for the Competition Package. I hadn't even driven an M3 since the e46 version which, to me, felt like a rocket at the time with 333 HP. This thing has 425 and some crazy creature comforts. First time I've ever bought preowned but the BMW program is pretty top notch. I've got both warranty and maintenance for another 24 months.

DCT...It's a 2016, pretty loaded except for the Competition Package. I hadn't even driven an M3 since the e46 version which, to me, felt like a rocket at the time with 333 HP. This thing has 425 and some crazy creature comforts. First time I've ever bought preowned but the BMW program is pretty top notch. I've got both warranty and maintenance for another 24 months.

Very cool, congrats! I feel like right around the ~3 year old mark is where you most value for your money on a CPO BMW. Its greatest depreciation hit is taken and then you still get ~1 yr left on factory B2B warranty anything annoying/fussy (and maintenance) and then CPO for another year or two for anything drastic. That said, we owned the F30 for 4 years and 30k miles, only issue was some door striker rattle that dealer took care of for me. I'd still own it except I can't buy all the toys I want without letting some go!

My only piece of unsolicited advice is to semi-regularly charge/maintain the battery. At 5.5 yrs ours was still on the factory original battery, which if you read the internet is a rare feat these days. And since replacement and coding runs nearly $500, worth the time to charge once a month.

Enjoy!

Very cool, congrats! I feel like right around the ~3 year old mark is where you most value for your money on a CPO BMW. Its greatest depreciation hit is taken and then you still get ~1 yr left on factory B2B warranty anything annoying/fussy (and maintenance) and then CPO for another year or two for anything drastic. That said, we owned the F30 for 4 years and 30k miles, only issue was some door striker rattle that dealer took care of for me. I'd still own it except I can't buy all the toys I want without letting some go!

My only piece of unsolicited advice is to semi-regularly charge/maintain the battery. At 5.5 yrs ours was still on the factory original battery, which if you read the internet is a rare feat these days. And since replacement and coding runs nearly $500, worth the time to charge once a month.

Enjoy!

Thanks. Good advice!

And I agree on the depreciation. It looks and feels very new to me. My friend thought it was new until he saw the odometer. But I let the original owner pay the first $30K of it and I took the other $50K....yet I own it and still get another 24 months of $0 repairs/maintenance cost. :p Who knows....after that I may still look to extend the warranty but do maintenance on my own (mostly using a trusty independent shop I know in the area). My previous car was a 2005 330i with the ZHP Performance Package. It was hard to say goodbye to that ole girl but it was time to move on.

Good luck on the M2 hunt! I saw one in the showroom when I picked up my car the other day. They also had a brand new 850i...I think it had just come in from Germany. Sick car....but you're not getting anyone taller than 4'2" into that backseat. lol

I added a fire extinguisher and mount. This took a little time to do right and fit properly, but I am happy with the result.

And here is a close up of the mount. I used the large bracket, put it under the seat bracket, and put the extension arms inside the brackets so I would put the plastic trim covering back over the seat mount.

Finally got around to having the AHC fluid changed out today and it made a huge difference in the ride. Feels much smoother now - almost like I had new shocks installed. Dealer mechanic said the old stuff was pretty worn out, so I'm guessing the previous owner must have skipped that on the 60k mile service. I'm at 115k now, so it definitely needed it.

Got the airbag recall completed. Drives so much smoother now.... :)

It’s interesting... I got a flyer in the mail that simply mentioned the value of having my land cruiser checked for making sure it is as safe as possible, etc. Twas a half-sheet, card stock with a photo of a 200 on it...but NO specific mention of a recall.

Seemed like a “hint” but without really telling me anything.

Makes me wonder if they are prioritizing by newest to oldest. If so...my 2008 will be far down on the redo list...

It’s a meh in my book, but kind of interesting.
I know it’s for ‘08-‘19 LC. Toyota sent me a official recall notice and to make appt with dealer. All the dealer did was tape a wire so it didn’t come in contact with another wire or metal (I believe). Took 30 min.

Installed the hitch-receiver shackle and pulled out an E250 van that was fully in the ditch. A few snowflakes and everyone loses their mind.

E250 driver: "uhh... I don't think you'll be able to pull me out with THAT"

Not completely unexpected, but still had a good chuckle.

We hook up, then the guy puts his van in reverse (direction I'm pulling him), steps outside and tells me to "go." We're going to be pulling downhill. I couldn't believe what I was hearing and had to tell the guy to go inside and cover the brakes. Then I had to tell him to close his wide-open driver's side door (it was already a few centimeters away from catching on the ditch). Genius all around. No wonder he was in the ditch.

Installed the hitch-receiver shackle and pulled out an E250 van that was fully in the ditch. A few snowflakes and everyone loses their mind.

E250 driver: "uhh... I don't think you'll be able to pull me out with THAT"

Not completely unexpected, but still had a good chuckle.

We hook up, then the guy puts his van in reverse (direction I'm pulling him), steps outside and tells me to "go." We're going to be pulling downhill. I couldn't believe what I was hearing and had to tell the guy to go inside and cover the brakes. Then I had to tell him to close his wide-open driver's side door (it was already a few centimeters away from catching on the ditch). Genius all around. No wonder he was in the ditch.

Wow!
Sounds like the ditch might have been the safest place for him to stay. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom