What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed a National Luna LED Touch Light on the rear hatch!

IMG_5555.JPG

IMG_5558.JPG

IMG_5554.JPG

Nice. I have the same. I ended up attatching a bit of Velcro to create a small “shade” along the edge facing rearward so that it doesn’t shine in my eyes. Great lights. I already had a white light solution, but added those reds to avoid insects when in the boonies. I like that they have three levels of brightness for both red and white.

Last edited:
This arrived off of backorder today... :)

This arrived off of backorder today... :)

View attachment 1907968

Oh you'll like it, I have one sitting in the box here at home waiting for me to decide which vehicle to install it in. I had no idea they were on backorder, I have had mine for a few months now.

Is APRS in your future by chance?

Yes.

With a number of other drivers installing this same unit, APRS is potentially pretty useful re sharing location & distances within a wheeling group. Should be especially useful where trail lead/gunner combos are both able to share packets that include location coordinates in real time.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes in the field....and also the ability to let my hand helds basically use this 50W as a repeater to give them greater reach-out range when out of the truck.

Using the unit’s repeater function could be especially helpful when out the truck spotting, doing recoveries, or other delays toward the back of a group where a handheld’s range might not reach the lead truck on its own.

(Set handheld up on shorter range frequency received by this unit, then instantly rebroadcast to the trail group’s frequency at higher power).

PS. Don’t ask me exactly how to set that up yet, because I haven’t gotten there. I just know it’s doable). As always...the jury is out til actual use. :) )

Last edited:
Yes.

With a number of other drivers installing this same unit, APRS will be pretty useful re sharing location & distances within a wheeling group. Should be especially useful where trail lead/gunner combos are both able to share packets that include location coordinates in real time.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes in the field.

Mark, are there mobile units that support APRS?

This system is a mobile unit.
Do you mean hand-helds?
If so...ya.

(See link to Yaesu handheld at bottom of post)

Yaesu makes one that includes the GPS module. I will be very interested to check it out at some point since it would be nice to be able to hand it to a second vehicle in a two-truck group. No idea what the real-world range and usefulness would be with less power...

DISCLAIMER!!
-I am no APRS or HAM authority!
This is mostly new info to me...
Maybe @indycole will chime in as he’s fiddled with quite a few comm options and is great at keeping track of techie details. He uses a different main unit, and I’m pretty sure he just replaced his with yet another option.

See this link for one example:

EDIT: Oops! Someone indicated it’s disontinued. See this next link for another APRS handheld:

I also have the Garmin Inreach Sat communicator which can track other devices. But the problem is that it requires a pretty expensive subscription—especially to do location updates at two minute intervals. APRS does this for free if others have it.

Nice thing about the Garmin is that you can share/track location from anywhere on the planet so radio transmission power is not a factor. But that’s a pretty different intended use.

Last edited:

if your asking about a handheld unit with APRS ... checkout the Kenwood TH-D72A

@Markuson @elkeye Yes mobile unit. The one that Mark posted looks discontinued but the Kenwood is good. Little pricier than I imagined.

@Markuson @elkeye Yes mobile unit. The one that Mark posted looks discontinued but the Kenwood is good. Little pricier than I imagined.
I have a Kenwood TM-D710 with the APRS working and I like it a lot. I have not hooked it up to an external display but will do that at some point. It also has the ability to do cross band repeat from an HT.
2K_07vFxWuKysbOwWCsG-U41GqIUwrzBCsb20GHMSuKr10lKeQDcdnpCcUy5ec5EuAhl_OcKoGqFpA6kYPrpaECxwYOu0ueKpNqyU9yqVr7xZx2qAcFHHuM7vNBAOcTQG63cYxIvItdCm1JvmLXtPJL0C4iUufvHyIq4-IE3-6ku5Z2JkMdwk4ZV0Jffw249FG_Iv-ni3yZtsKXePvU62g6_Kl00laoRkq-TwE8Z6QQO9U544s0LUgiSzo274jTd-y-HM679511xGfmAaK4OZB3IN4QR5ItZFf5f3N4wuYVxVRCvKQrvAUTaTTMc4-BTpthzZ95eCSW1R6ybAR6EEyiEli9hUPF85_qMv9Wt-DSdYnZTMPsFLGvT7P-QdtdMOzsqbQur1OvVkdEQlFEyIJ9GGmhrhFJJOz2M9-bqwEjmiZVaqabMNon5Km-XMd8fD1LzcNytK2S3zkwLpkOLKaaxIwMk6vVvRo9p4ZYNwn482zEsr-vs8LI5ZTRC3sqIJyKI4_BqhypOyFghTaQn-GsBylSFzwrL--fttsQcjHlhrVlVhwKXyFcicjClR4av2yDqR6PvWf9FYSSYKZMsNeOAlRKcOD5PFIe8RkkP00TWsqJa-6l0_Qpoalcmh26qqFN5rLT7ZFrl44slg8YUl22jON1ZKUtqFt2ohJPuKtZC0DLehx3iRseRjjnN3fvDnNjRQ5ZIxcUH_8wxUAtL83GJ=w640-h480-no

If you are interested you can follow yesterday's wanderings here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom