What have you done to your 200 Series this week?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The LC300 split tailgate is so much better looking than the new LX hatch. I saw a bunch in person while I was in Ethiopia last month. Very jealous.
Huh? I didn’t think the 300 kept the split tailgate. Thought it had the same stupid hatch. Google AI says “no split tailgate gate”. Would love that to be wrong.
 
Huh? I didn’t think the 300 kept the split tailgate. Thought it had the same stupid hatch. Google AI says “no split tailgate gate”. Would love that to be wrong.
Oh damn, then its a fake body line
 
I wish the 200 came sans the split tailgate. It's a MFPITA to load anything in the back - especially sled dogs.

Just my .5 cents of course

siberian
 
I wish the 200 came sans the split tailgate. It's a MFPITA to load anything in the back - especially sled dogs.

Just my .5 cents of course

siberian
You can import one of these in a few years. :)
1784751229865.webp
 
You'll have to share what the usefulness of this great idea is as I don't think its emulated by anyone else.

siberian
 
You'll have to share what the usefulness of this great idea is as I don't think its emulated by anyone else.

siberian

Not to cast shade but ever get the sense you bought the wrong tool for the job? I mean, you could have literally gotten any other SUV or minivan which could handle your use case better. It's like those drawn to the Land Cruiser aura, then complain about gas mileage of an HD rig meant for HD work.

Or you might appreciate as a fellow Porsche 911 owner, having someone complain about no rear trunk.

The tailgate defines the Land Cruiser spirit. IMO.

The 300-series might as well be the Porsche 928.

 
Last edited:
Because you are the only one whining about it and everyone else wants a fold down tailgate.
This.

Specifically because all of these points have been made already by the same people elsewhere in this forum.
 
When I need to sit behind my SUV/car I have a folding chair.

But so many crap designs by so many manufacturers become myths and must have - a rear wiper without a washer in the 911s since time immemorial and I could go on listing them. Just because it's always been there (like a gauge cluster you can't see the outer ones) doesn't make it either practical or useful.

As for the wrong tool, I wasn't able to find a car that would work by 50 below, haul 5 siberians etc. as VDub in their infinite stupidity priced the Touareg out of the ballpark, hasn't sold it in the US for years and nothing else fit the bill. Sorry if the absolute impracticability of this contraption offends purists.

Oh and FWIW, the 928 was years ahead of its time though not really a 911 (neither was the 912, not the 924 or the 944 or the 968 ...); heck it wasn't AIR COOLED; way before emission standards and hp forced Porsche to abandon the system

siberian
 
Sorry if the absolute impracticability of this contraption offends purists.

The vast majority of people on this board finding the split gate far more practical for their uses than a lift gate undermines the "absolute" part just a bit.

And much like how americans aren't ready to pay what's necessary for the underlying quality of a real landcruiser, they won't do the same for cost of the engineering in a touareg. Thing is the touareg isn't nearly as robust and much more difficult to work on, trading inherently reliable designs for really interesting but inherently complex ones.. like the TDI v10. And TTY bolts everywhere.

End of the day they are different classes of vehicles, from the unibody vs body-on-frame design, to the cargo space (I know, I gave touaregs a serious look, but there was absolutely no way I was going to be able to sleep in the back of one.)
 
When I need to sit behind my SUV/car I have a folding chair.

But so many crap designs by so many manufacturers become myths and must have - a rear wiper without a washer in the 911s since time immemorial and I could go on listing them. Just because it's always been there (like a gauge cluster you can't see the outer ones) doesn't make it either practical or useful.

As for the wrong tool, I wasn't able to find a car that would work by 50 below, haul 5 siberians etc. as VDub in their infinite stupidity priced the Touareg out of the ballpark, hasn't sold it in the US for years and nothing else fit the bill. Sorry if the absolute impracticability of this contraption offends purists.

Oh and FWIW, the 928 was years ahead of its time though not really a 911 (neither was the 912, not the 924 or the 944 or the 968 ...); heck it wasn't AIR COOLED; way before emission standards and hp forced Porsche to abandon the system

siberian

Contraption is what I consider the Touareg.

You have wrong tool.
 
I went from a Sequoia to the LX. I prefer the traditional style vs. the split. Every time I go to and from the airport it's a 2 step operation. It's a very minor annoyance and overwhelmed by the positives. The reduction in cargo space is the thing I miss the most. As someone else said, we knew the details going in and accepted the tradeoffs.
 
Back
Top Bottom