What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (39 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow^^^^^

Side shot for ya.

IMG_20180524_145328739.jpg

Wow...:clap:

My guess is that Toyota uses the resin filter housing on the 5.7L motor in the Tundra/Land Cruiser/Sequoia/LX570 because of concern about possible similar/dissimilar metal compatibility issues between the metal housing and the mount on the engine.

Then why aluminum on the other engines? Are their upper filter housings not made of aluminum too?

Then why aluminum on the other engines? Are their upper filter housings not made of aluminum too?

You'll have to ask the engineers at Mr. T.

Cleaned the weather strip on the moonroof. Yuck.

Seriously, don’t forget to check yours. I was surprised at how much crud was stuck to mine. I’m sure that over time it must accelerate breakdown of the rubber and lead to a leaking moonroof.

It does require two steps: retract halfway to clean the front half (from inside the vehicle), then close and tilt up to clean the back half (from outside the vehicle). I also wiped off the mating surface with roof/paint.

Stealing this idea from @Markuson.
IMG_20180525_145844.jpg

Kinda handy having a few things right there, easy to grab.

The holders are "Light-Write Patch" from 5.11 Tactical – Purpose-Built Tactical Gear, Apparel & Accessories

Commentary on ordering from them: worst mail order experience EVER. I know some of you guys love this company, but they really messed up big time. I ordered 4 of the holders and a "TacTec Flex Kit" to also attach a couple small Molle items, waaaay back on April 13th. I just received them yesterday, yeah 6 weeks later. Took 5 phone calls looking for my stuff, and they had no idea when it would ship each time I called. I guess they are moving warehouses, and... things are not going well. In the end, they sent me the Light-Writes gratis, but they still can't find the other item anywhere in the warehouse. Not saying I'd never order from them again, but I would give them about 6 months to get things straightened out at their new digs. Or perhaps buy from somewhere else that has it in stock.

Weird. I got four of them in less than a week. That was about three weeks ago. Maybe they had local stock that shipped?

Last edited:
Stealing this idea from @Markuson. View attachment 1708775

Kinda handy having a few things right there, easy to grab.

The holders are "Light-Write Patch" from 5.11 Tactical – Purpose-Built Tactical Gear, Apparel & Accessories

Commentary on ordering from them: worst mail order experience EVER. I know some of you guys love this company, but they really messed up big time. I ordered 4 of the holders and a "TacTec Flex Kit" to also attach a couple small Molle items, waaaay back on April 13th. I just received them yesterday, yeah 6 weeks later. Took 5 phone calls looking for my stuff, and they had no idea when it would ship each time I called. I guess they are moving warehouses, and... things are not going well. In the end, they sent me the Light-Writes gratis, but they still can't find the other item anywhere in the warehouse. Not saying I'd never order from them again, but I would give them about 6 months to get things straightened out at their new digs. Or perhaps buy from somewhere else that has it in stock.

Or just go here:
5.11 Tactical 56121 Light Writing Patch Pouch, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTGLE22/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yVjcBbWMCTMCQ

Although they are only $6 in the 5.11 stores...

I haven't been on here for a while. I had some work done on my diesel 200 a week or so ago.

I had the induction chamber cleaned out. It gets really gunked up with a mixture of soot from the EGR and oil. I previously solved the oil issue by installing an oil catch can.
IMG_1459_small.jpg

This is the induction chamber before the clean.
32239598_1035466623268698_8316427423868518400_o.jpg

This is after the clean.
32252976_1035466656602028_8859418848948912128_o.jpg

I also had a new exhaust system fitted.
32266495_1035466599935367_306794607784493056_o.jpg

The new exhaust has ports for temperature probes so I had an EGT gauge and a Boost gauge fitted.
IMG_1973_SMALL.jpg

I had the ECU re-mapped to increase the amount of torque and the transmission re-calibrated to make the torque converter lock up at lower speeds.

The seat of the pants feeling is significant. When I put the boot in it really gets up and goes. Very pleased.

I haven't been on here for a while. I had some work done on my diesel 200 a week or so ago.

I had the induction chamber cleaned out. It gets really gunked up with a mixture of soot from the EGR and oil. I previously solved the oil issue by installing an oil catch can.
IMG_1459_small.jpg

This is the induction chamber before the clean.
32239598_1035466623268698_8316427423868518400_o.jpg

This is after the clean.
32252976_1035466656602028_8859418848948912128_o.jpg

I also had a new exhaust system fitted.
32266495_1035466599935367_306794607784493056_o.jpg

The new exhaust has ports for temperature probes so I had an EGT gauge and a Boost gauge fitted.
IMG_1973_SMALL.jpg

I had the ECU re-mapped to increase the amount of torque and the transmission re-calibrated to make the torque converter lock up at lower speeds.

The seat of the pants feeling is significant. When I put the boot in it really gets up and goes. Very pleased.

As a fellow Aussie member this is why I bought petrol. I love the 4.5 TTD V8 but we had an 08 and had no end of turbo issues, oil burning, injector issues etc...it was a beast for torque though.

When it came time to upgrade I didn't want a 16+ diesel as they are now having DPF/EGR issues.

I went for the petrol. It costs a little more in fuel but I love the 4.6. Smooth as silk and no diesel related issues. Well actually, at c. $1.55 per litre it's really hurting in this fuel crisis. Nearly $200 a fill up.

Got 450'000kms out of one of my old 2UZ-FE 4.7 LX470s without issue.

@Gone Bush - that's an aggressive amount of coking. Did you have to get it walnut blasted? Do you think the catch can will prevent the coking in the future?

I'm not sure about the cleaning technique (it may have included a lot of rubber gloves) but it's about normal judging by the many photos I've seen on the 'net.

I think it will stay very clean with the Catch Can and other measures I've taken.

I'll have it checked in another 5years.:)

I greased the spider joints and slip yokes.

Found these at Costco. Didnt need any just found it interesting.

CC3109B5-6FF1-4F40-B65A-328FE77EBB78.jpeg

Drove my wife, kids and dog across the entire state of Washington this weekend.

We hadn’t been east of the cascades since moving here 3 years ago. We were amazed to see plains, arid desert-like canyons, rolling hills of grain in the Palouse, and bald mountains that fall into the snake river.

wBAWQYG.jpg

Ftl7hgb.jpg

uCcIBHo.jpg

gMi8KD1.jpg

K4vSEHw.jpg

19qxPJo.jpg

xcBRZF8.jpg

Also managed to self-recover with Maxtrax and crawl control. I’m a believer in both!

nlede68.jpg

The 200’s Achilles heel is it’s tiny baby gas tank. It’s the one thing we miss about our Suburban. We traveled about ~800 miles @ 14.5 mpg. No doubt the stuff on the roof cost us 1-2mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom