What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (63 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Front and rear diff service, oil and filter change and t-case service.
I also washed GSMTR off the bottom.
IMG-20190527-WA0002.jpg

Are those Drifta-style drawers? Look very slick!

Not sure what those are, i just put it together using spare wood panels i had lying around the shed. They glide on top of these plastic slider strips that i waxed to make it slide smooth. Great alternative to building rails if you're lazy.

Not sure what those are, i just put it together using spare wood panels i had lying around the shed. They glide on top of these plastic slider strips that i waxed to make it slide smooth. Great alternative to building rails if you're lazy.

There's a lot going on there, including some really cool stuff where the entire drawer pulls out and becomes its own table. This one is what I wish I had (including the troopy, of course): TROOPY / DUAL CAB - DRIFTA DRAWER FRIDGE SYSTEM - Drifta Camping & 4WD

No real mods this week. Put her back together after the trip to the body shop and got out of town. First (mild) test of the dual batteries—no more "God I hope this starts".

Valley of the Gods

Bears Ears

Just picked up my very first 100... been wanting one since they came out in 1998. Back then it was the stuff of dreams; only rich people could afford them in South America (where I grew up)... fast forward to 2019 and I’m on my third 80, have had a 40, have my beloved 1984 FJ60, and now my 1999 Land Cruiser. Got it with 160k miles, second owner and needs some love. Bought 5 Tundra 18” wheels and got some new 275/70r18 Cooper AT3 XLT. Off to a good start, but need a few things. Some before and after pics.
View attachment 1986090View attachment 1986088
View attachment 1986089View attachment 1986092View attachment 1986093

Very curious about those XLTs. Been on the fence about those, the Falken Wildpeak and another set of KO2s.

Well, baseline is mostly done...and then some, now have completed:
This stuff was more 2-3 weeks ago
Oil change Filter Change
Transmission Filter and Gasket - changed out some fluid and also put in SeaFoam Hydra Trans Tune, literally lowers the temp of the trans
Fuel Filter
Heater T's exchanged for brass T's - coolant exchange
Front UCA's/LCA's
Inner and Outer Tie Rods and Steering Rack
4x Shocks (Rancho 9,000 adjsutable, havent played much with the settings but noticeable)
Stabilizer links replaced
Front DS and PS wheel bearing
Stainless Steel Brake Lines, bled brake lines
Greased drive shaft and u-joints

Front Wheel bearings replaced, very nerve racking--first one took 6 hrs, couldnt get the cv axle to poke out far enough for the snap ring, so did it all over again to make sure the races were properly seated. Got so good at it the passenger side took maybe an hour or less. Got used to adjusting the torsion which was a pain and took forever. And of course rear shocks were a huge pain but i did not drill through the floor or cut the old ones.

This week I did:

Got 285/75/R16 BFG AT K02s put on
Snorkel Install (cheap amazon one, its fantastic)
ARB Bumper Install
Smittybuilt #10K Waterproof winch with wireless control option
T-case and Rear Diff drain and fill

Gonna take a week just to clean up and reorganize my tools and wash all the random fluids off the driveway and garage. But well worth it. Just crossed 495,000 miles on it this weekend and it sounds and performs great. I did after all this work have it throw two CEL codes for mass air intake and air intake temperature sensor plus a really bad stutter at 2,800 rpm when changing gears, the absolute worst. Gave me a heart attack I thought all this work and now this, maybe a bad sensor, bad computer, trans issue......nope, never plugged the MAF sensor back in, the cord was just sitting there. 20 miles later the light went off.

Did some fun little trails in town Saturday used the winch to pull two really big fallen trees out of the way. Then Memorial day did some trails by Blue Ridge Parkway saw waterfalls, some hang glider/parachute guys, some rock climbers, and then ran into to two lost hikers off the appalachian trail that were supposed to meet their ride at some place but he couldnt make it there with his car and ended up giving them a ride...so literally had 9 people, 7 adults and 2 kids in the cruiser...she was heavy. So so so much fun tho, couple trials was just me, my brother in law and father in law and got use diff locks and 4lo and everything, man these things really are capable. Next time I am for sure bringing the very important staples of folding chairs and hammocks on the roof rack. Also it seems chain saws are a necessity on these wooded trails. lots of trees down.

IMG-2727.JPG

IMG-2754.JPG

Well, baseline is mostly done...and then some, now have completed:
This stuff was more 2-3 weeks ago
Oil change Filter Change
Transmission Filter and Gasket - changed out some fluid and also put in SeaFoam Hydra Trans Tune, literally lowers the temp of the trans
Fuel Filter
Heater T's exchanged for brass T's - coolant exchange
Front UCA's/LCA's
Inner and Outer Tie Rods and Steering Rack
4x Shocks (Rancho 9,000 adjsutable, havent played much with the settings but noticeable)
Stabilizer links replaced
Front DS and PS wheel bearing
Stainless Steel Brake Lines, bled brake lines
Greased drive shaft and u-joints

Front Wheel bearings replaced, very nerve racking--first one took 6 hrs, couldnt get the cv axle to poke out far enough for the snap ring, so did it all over again to make sure the races were properly seated. Got so good at it the passenger side took maybe an hour or less. Got used to adjusting the torsion which was a pain and took forever. And of course rear shocks were a huge pain but i did not drill through the floor or cut the old ones.

This week I did:

Got 285/75/R16 BFG AT K02s put on
Snorkel Install (cheap amazon one, its fantastic)
ARB Bumper Install
Smittybuilt #10K Waterproof winch with wireless control option
T-case and Rear Diff drain and fill

Gonna take a week just to clean up and reorganize my tools and wash all the random fluids off the driveway and garage. But well worth it. Just crossed 495,000 miles on it this weekend and it sounds and performs great. I did after all this work have it throw two CEL codes for mass air intake and air intake temperature sensor plus a really bad stutter at 2,800 rpm when changing gears, the absolute worst. Gave me a heart attack I thought all this work and now this, maybe a bad sensor, bad computer, trans issue......nope, never plugged the MAF sensor back in, the cord was just sitting there. 20 miles later the light went off.

Did some fun little trails in town Saturday used the winch to pull two really big fallen trees out of the way. Then Memorial day did some trails by Blue Ridge Parkway saw waterfalls, some hang glider/parachute guys, some rock climbers, and then ran into to two lost hikers off the appalachian trail that were supposed to meet their ride at some place but he couldnt make it there with his car and ended up giving them a ride...so literally had 9 people, 7 adults and 2 kids in the cruiser...she was heavy. So so so much fun tho, couple trials was just me, my brother in law and father in law and got use diff locks and 4lo and everything, man these things really are capable. Next time I am for sure bringing the very important staples of folding chairs and hammocks on the roof rack. Also it seems chain saws are a necessity on these wooded trails. lots of trees down.

View attachment 1988340

View attachment 1988342

I had the similar experience on skyline drive, in my case, I ended up at the other end of the park during the hike, came down 16 mile markers from where I parked my car. A good Samaritan like you helped me to get back to my car.

Drank some of dat koolaid :cool:
And yes that's fake lexus logo on theback, I am sometimes vain like that!
20190528_143013.jpg
20190528_145135.jpg
20190528_145144.jpg

Replaced the ripped covers on my upper support arms. Good advice suggested a comfortable 1 hr job, but with my "old man" handicap, this became 3 hours for the first one, and 1 hour for the second. (I had been thinking my wrenching estimates should be 2.5x the suggested, now I'm going to change that to 4x.) This means a timing belt change would take me until 2022! :oops:

Gil

Got my Metal-Tech sliders cleaned, prepped and painted (@helocat slider prep info). Will put another coat on in 48 hrs and install this coming weekend (maybe some grip tape on the top too). Thanks to @helocat for a fine product at a fantastic price!

Door rubber conduit, between door and kick panel? That’s a lot of wire in a tight bundle. It’s a wonder more folks don’t have this problem.
It amazing how little that rubber boot protects. I spliced them all back together really well and wrapped the whole harness in electrical tape. It should be ok for a while.

I just got the rack bushings in the mail. Is that what you replaced?
What bushings did you order? I'm needing to do that as well. The rubber bushings that went in last year when I got the new rack installed are already shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom