What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (40 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went old school with the grille on La Luna, love the look! The 'Melon's next, but that one I'm going to repaint before it goes on and it was super windy here yesterday, couldn't spray.

View attachment 1806021

That grill looks awesome, was it home brew or did you buy it?

@G-Cat beat me to it! Ordered one a LSO Sharknet for each of my '99s, will post pictures of the one on my green 100 when I finish the install.

Installed my Smittybuilt awning on my hundy. My 13 yo son thinks it is bad ass.

full

New aftermarket wheel. Wood isn’t a match but this is way better than the cracked oem wheel.

Went to Walker Pass (CA) to find a darker sky - I like the area, mix of Juniper and Joshua trees. My dog enjoyed smelling numerous types of wild poop - so a good time was had by all.
IMAG1880 s.jpg
Am thinking of trying out Oasis area of CA / Goldfield - Tonopah Nevada for a darker sky (any suggestions?) Image is from this week of the Lagoon and Trifid Nebula. (BTW, a picture of the Trifid nebula - the smaller one - was regularly used in the old original Star Trek on their "monitors".)

_IGP7114 small s.jpg

IMAG1886 clyde small.jpg

Last edited:
I've never seen a sky so dark before. Is there a particular type of camera needed to photograph that?

The sky was dark - but not the pure black of the image - that is from adjusting the image in Photoshop. (You essentially overexpose to get information from the dim parts of the nebula and then adjust in Photoshop.) I do not, however, increase the color saturation or change the color of my astronomy images. I like having the images match what one would see if the objects were only brighter and closer - "no funny business". The image is taken with a small telescope (80mm objective with a 380mm focal length) and a motorized telescope mount that can follow the spinning of the stars. It is all a bit fussy. The camera that is attached to the telescope is a regular Pentax K5 DSLR. The exposure was 4 minutes at ISO 1600.

Once you start looking at the stars in dark skies it become a bit addicting - and I'm always in search of my next dark sky.

We so wanted to go see this. Jealous over here. How is it?
If the weather is good, and winds are friendly with the event, there is truly nothing else like it.
Either on the field, or tailgating, I think it’s worth the effort to see and experience, at least once.
I live in Albuquerque, and see it every year, but each time there’s a new moment when the fun and wonder I see in the faces of my children is the same that they see on the faces of my wife and myself.
It’s just become one of our unspoken Cruiser traditions.
(Last year in the FJ62:)

6546AFFE-AD5F-4E1C-A71A-3E8672E0FC91.jpeg

How’d you wire this up? Looks awesome!
My LX had light tubes in the running boards. There’s a factory 12v connection that they ran off of located under the front driver and passenger doors. Found the lights at superbrightleds.com. Each are almost 40” long with 3m sticky tape. In my experience, a little prep work cleaning the surface your mounting to goes along way. Super easy once you get started.

Went to Tepuifest in Hollister Hills this weekend. It was out first year, and was an absolute blast! Great food, beer, bands, wheeling, and people. Definitely going next year!

I put on almost 35" STT PRO's (295/70/18) on my LX a couple weeks ago and got to test them out this weekend, towing my teardrop and wheeling.

Towing was no problem. I put it in 4th gear and kept my speed between 55-60 mph. Running around 2200rpm on flat, and up hills it would drop to 3rd and hit 3200-3500 rpm's to maintain speed. Computer showed 10.3 mpg (uncorrected). Dont see a need to regear at this point.

Wheeling was what I was worried about with these new hoops. I kept my LX in the N suspension mode, did not air down and headed to "Top of the World". The first 3/4 was easy going. Towards the top was pretty loose/ rocky, and dry as F. There was only one section that made my LX work the ATRAC a little to get through, but it made it. The suspension was flexed pretty good through a handful of spots, but never rubbed. These STT's hook up great! Where I had lots wheelspin with my old bfg at's, very little with these. They grab and go on the rocks. So far I'm really happy with these tires.

20181013_113420.jpg

20181012_174223.jpg

Busy weekend this weekend. Installed my H3R fire extinguisher. Still waiting on my Wits End mounts to ship. So this will suffice for now. Mounted the TYT TH-9800 faceplate. Still gotta run the wires and mount the ham radio. Replaced the ARB 50qt with the new ARB 63qt Elements fridge. Test fitted my new Grille from @kelly saad. Installed the Rhino Rack fishing rod holders.

IMG_5896.jpg

IMG_5897.jpg

IMG_5901.jpg

IMG_5902.jpg

IMG_5903.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom