What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (80 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
Fixed a couple of CV issues yesterday!!! Put in some new to me Cv's from another member on here @Nicholas Hanke! Thanks bud, they worked perfectly!! Once we had all the right tools the install went very smoothly!!! I'm going to have a friend help me rebuilt my old ones and I'll keep them as spares!

MVIMG_20181014_170659.jpg
IMG_20181014_144940.jpg
MVIMG_20181014_134526.jpg
MVIMG_20181014_134511.jpg

I'd say you were definitely due for some! How long did the whole job take you once you got your tools together?
I think if we took out all of our BSing, beer breaks, and our run to the parts store 2x, it was probably a 4 hour job to complete both sides.

Put on some new tires last week, went up to a 285/75/16 size. Went cheap on the tire because at well less than 2k miles per year, they'll dry rot before running out of tread. They looked pretty good but I didn't think they changed the stance very much. Last night, wife and kids were driving me nuts, so I grabbed some tools and decided the running boards were coming off. Lexus engineers have a weird sense of humor. Once I got the the rear bracket on the drivers side, I started to get frustrated because there was no way I was getting to the top bolt. After about 10 minutes, I looked and realized the bolt doesn't hold the bracket. Whew!! I've said it before, but losing the running boards makes a huge difference. Oh yeah, also did the Landcruiserphil mud flap delete as well.
IMG_2981.jpg
IMG_2838.jpg
IMG_2976.jpg
IMG_2986.jpg

Went to Tepuifest in Hollister Hills this weekend. It was out first year, and was an absolute blast! Great food, beer, bands, wheeling, and people. Definitely going next year!

I put on almost 35" STT PRO's (295/70/18) on my LX a couple weeks ago and got to test them out this weekend, towing my teardrop and wheeling.

Towing was no problem. I put it in 4th gear and kept my speed between 55-60 mph. Running around 2200rpm on flat, and up hills it would drop to 3rd and hit 3200-3500 rpm's to maintain speed. Computer showed 10.3 mpg (uncorrected). Dont see a need to regear at this point.

Wheeling was what I was worried about with these new hoops. I kept my LX in the N suspension mode, did not air down and headed to "Top of the World". The first 3/4 was easy going. Towards the top was pretty loose/ rocky, and dry as F. There was only one section that made my LX work the ATRAC a little to get through, but it made it. The suspension was flexed pretty good through a handful of spots, but never rubbed. These STT's hook up great! Where I had lots wheelspin with my old bfg at's, very little with these. They grab and go on the rocks. So far I'm really happy with these tires.

View attachment 1810090

View attachment 1810091

Are those Tundra steel wheels on your trailer. Very smart idea if so.

Went to Tepuifest in Hollister Hills this weekend. It was out first year, and was an absolute blast! Great food, beer, bands, wheeling, and people. Definitely going next year!

I put on almost 35" STT PRO's (295/70/18) on my LX a couple weeks ago and got to test them out this weekend, towing my teardrop and wheeling.

Towing was no problem. I put it in 4th gear and kept my speed between 55-60 mph. Running around 2200rpm on flat, and up hills it would drop to 3rd and hit 3200-3500 rpm's to maintain speed. Computer showed 10.3 mpg (uncorrected). Dont see a need to regear at this point.

Wheeling was what I was worried about with these new hoops. I kept my LX in the N suspension mode, did not air down and headed to "Top of the World". The first 3/4 was easy going. Towards the top was pretty loose/ rocky, and dry as F. There was only one section that made my LX work the ATRAC a little to get through, but it made it. The suspension was flexed pretty good through a handful of spots, but never rubbed. These STT's hook up great! Where I had lots wheelspin with my old bfg at's, very little with these. They grab and go on the rocks. So far I'm really happy with these tires.

View attachment 1810090

View attachment 1810091

LX looks amazing. Mind sharing your wheel offset / backspacing please?

Did something a bit less Land Cruiser technical this weekend. One of the joys of my LC is that is brings me to great places where I can see nature and play with my cameras. The big lens and body is 7kg's and is killing me when lying on my lap during safari. So I made a plan with a place to rest it whilst I'm driving.

Have made a platform that is secured on the lid of the centre console with velcro. The lid can then still be oppened.
IMG_2624.jpg

The camera is then craddled in the platform. It is lined with foam on the areas where the lens and camera rest. I covered the other areas with carpet.

IMG_2667.jpg

The big boy inside the final product.

IMG_2661.jpg

Had it powdercoated to match my trim as much as my eyeballs could. Pwdered the mounts and spaces black and everything else was satin titanium i believei
Didn't have to use shims at all. Pushed all the way in and up and I'm happy with it. Ties in with the skids nicely. @benc did a great job!

View attachment 1805910

View attachment 1805911

View attachment 1805912

View attachment 1805913

View attachment 1805914
Looks great! I can't wait to get my front and back bumpers back from the powder coater!

Did something a bit less Land Cruiser technical this weekend. One of the joys of my LC is that is brings me to great places where I can see nature and play with my cameras. The big lens and body is 7kg's and is killing me when lying on my lap during safari. So I made a plan with a place to rest it whilst I'm driving.

Have made a platform that is secured on the lid of the centre console with velcro. The lid can then still be oppened.
View attachment 1812136

That is a serious looking camera! How about a wild African animal pic???!

Took my hundy through some rough roads, from Harare to the top of Zim via the Kanyemba Road, a good 250km of dirt road, starting after the escarpment entering into the Zambezi Valley, and then into the Park. We had some scary parts railsliding the Hundy on deep tracks with loose stones keeping us drifting down the road before I managed to get back into the deep tracks(advise you stay inside those deep tracks and don’t try get up onto the ridges at speed) My brothers and I went in 2 hours behind the rest of a 4 vehicle convoy and about 2 hours into the park the road ran out. I had a gps map of the old road and pushed through about 8km of bush, navigating my way through to the Zambezi river, we made it through some tough 4x4 trails that looked more like animal trails than an old road washed away a few years back. The trees that elephants had knocked down into our path were the biggest problems but the worst was a few scratches and we arrived at Shamushanga fishing camp in Good Time about half an hour ahead of the rest of the convoy. Some great fishing was had over the next 4 days with a 16lb tiger fish I landed half way through taking the top spot. We took a different route out the park via Mana Pools and the corrugations were hectic, but at 70km per hour the damage was manageable, until a “2nd STRT” light came on in the dash board. That had me foxed, and at the 2nd Gate into & out the park I stopped to sign through and looked under the hood but nothing had fallen off. After starting up again the light went away and touch wood it has not re appeared. Anyone knows what “2nd STRT” means I would love to know. Might have something to do with the sensors on the suspension system not being able to handle the corrugations but that’s just speculation. That trip took my Hundy over 470k on the clock so I am getting close to half way

Forgot to mention, between 460k & 470k I also got Rod Ferreira at Mr Cruiser to
Changed the upper & lower ball joints
Changed the inner and outer cv boots
Replace a worn front driveshaft (from using non genuine cv boot covers & having dry cv’s)
Then I did the service and went back to Castrol Vection 15w40 after about 210k km of fully synthetic Fuchs 10w40. Let’s see if I still lose oil, the Last Road trip to vic falls in august I had to top up 2 liters oil...
will check oil level at 475k and change the filter...

Took my hundy through some rough roads, from Harare to the top of Zim via the Kanyemba Road, a good 250km of dirt road, starting after the escarpment entering into the Zambezi Valley, and then into the Park. We had some scary parts railsliding the Hundy on deep tracks with loose stones keeping us drifting down the road before I managed to get back into the deep tracks(advise you stay inside those deep tracks and don’t try get up onto the ridges at speed) My brothers and I went in 2 hours behind the rest of a 4 vehicle convoy and about 2 hours into the park the road ran out. I had a gps map of the old road and pushed through about 8km of bush, navigating my way through to the Zambezi river, we made it through some tough 4x4 trails that looked more like animal trails than an old road washed away a few years back. The trees that elephants had knocked down into our path were the biggest problems but the worst was a few scratches and we arrived at Shamushanga fishing camp in Good Time about half an hour ahead of the rest of the convoy. Some great fishing was had over the next 4 days with a 16lb tiger fish I landed half way through taking the top spot. We took a different route out the park via Mana Pools and the corrugations were hectic, but at 70km per hour the damage was manageable, until a “2nd STRT” light came on in the dash board. That had me foxed, and at the 2nd Gate into & out the park I stopped to sign through and looked under the hood but nothing had fallen off. After starting up again the light went away and touch wood it has not re appeared. Anyone knows what “2nd STRT” means I would love to know. Might have something to do with the sensors on the suspension system not being able to handle the corrugations but that’s just speculation. That trip took my Hundy over 470k on the clock so I am getting close to half way
I may be mistaken, but I have a 2nd Start button on near my shifter that allows the vehicle to start from 2nd gear and by pass 1st. If I were to press that, I'm certain it will illuminate a cluster light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom