What do I have? 40 newb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s got a header (although not sure make or how solid it is), electronic distributor, and gear reduction starter already on it.

I’m still searching the web for pictures of a 68-69 carb setup

Im out’a my depth on the 68-69 carb. But, I’d give Mark a call at “Marks Off Road“ He’s out In Burbank/Cali. I know sourcing parts sometimes seems like your in a Toyota treasure hunt nightmare.

I saw the header in your photos, like you mentioned I’m not sure how “solid it is”.

Im out’a my depth on the 68-69 carb. But, I’d give Mark a call at “Marks Off Road“ He’s out In Burbank/Cali. I know sourcing parts sometimes seems like your in a Toyota treasure hunt nightmare.

I saw the header in your photos, like you mentioned I’m not sure how “solid it is”.

Noted on mark, I’ll send him a PM and find out when is the best time to call him next week.

Thanks for that.

Noted on mark, I’ll send him a PM and find out when is the best time to call him next week.

Thanks for that.
I don't think Mark takes PM - It is like having kids.... never is a good time, just do it. I would call, if he is free, he answers. If he isn't he will call back when he is. Just leave a concise message on VM (spoken from the one who rambles on my VM). Personally I never call on a Sunday. (And will be calling Mark tomorrow myself in-between flights).

I don't think Mark takes PM - It is like having kids.... never is a good time, just do it. I would call, if he is free, he answers. If he isn't he will call back when he is. Just leave a concise message on VM (spoken from the one who rambles on my VM). Personally I never call on a Sunday. (And will be calling Mark tomorrow myself in-between flights).

Good to know thank you.

Yeah I’ll call mid week sometime.

Thanks for the ping Jeff.😊

@clrussell, perhaps there are some questions I can answer here. My time this upcoming week is shorter than short. I am preparing for an influx of a few dozen people at home to help my wife and I celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary.

I recommend getting a 70-72 carb for a vehicle of your vintage. You will also need a different cable, mounting studs, insulator and air cleaner. I have all these things, including rebuilt carbs in stock, ported for vacuum advance.

By the time you add up all the bells and whistles, you’re looking at approximately $1200 to get all the parts from me. You can probably save some money by hunting down things individually. But I have to say, the quality of what I am seeing left available on the market is not pretty. Some of the cores people have been sending me to rebuild require more work to rehabilitate than just having bought one from me. HTH. Mark

Last edited:
Thanks for the ping Jeff.😊

@clrussell, perhaps there are some questions I can answer here. My time this upcoming week is shorter than short. I am preparing for an influx of a few dozen people at home to help my wife and I celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary.

I recommend getting a 70-72 carb for a vehicle of your vintage. You will also need a different cable, mounting studs, insulator and air cleaner. I have all these things, including rebuilt carbs in stock, ported for vacuum advance.

By the time you add up all the bells and whistles, you’re looking at approximately $1200 to get all the parts from me. You can probably save some money by hunting down things individually. But I have to say, the quality of what I am seeing left available on the market is not pretty. Some of the cores people have been sending me to rebuild require more work to rehabilitate than just having bought one from me. HTH. Mark

Mark, thanks for stepping in here and pointing me in the right direction!

I will be in touch, I’m still not super sure the engine is good as I’ve only ran it just a tiny little bit. Not sure I want to drop that kind of coin just yet to find out it has a bottom end problem.

Although as of now I don’t really see changing engines anymore.

Finally able to finish getting the harness out of the dash. I’m glad I went this step as there’s some problems hiding in here.. potentially big problems.

3B0EA6B1-C26A-49F2-B9A3-51419FAA5A42.jpeg

F887C1EE-EC7B-4D69-B47E-7C131AD74AE8.jpeg

😱

I'm in the middle of the same thing on a 69 here. Fun stuff

Placed an order with @ToyotaMatt early this morning to finish up what I need for the wiring harness. Hoping to repair wire and retape tonight.

Seeing @Dangler post of his 70 spring green has definitely given me some much needed motivation.

The 4 runner I bought to flip should be ready to sell So that will open up a lot of 40 funds and hopefully speed the project up a little.

I wanted to go back to the original color floor and not have the nasty 20 year old roll on bedliner on there anymore.

I really wanted to get the upper half done before I put the wiring back in so I scrubbed, wire brushed, scotch rite and scrubbed again so I could get to this point.

Self etching primer and some rattle can to get me where I am.. color is pretty dang close.

9F6E0640-25E2-4CC7-81EA-BE650BDCCFA1.jpeg

C9B98216-B033-4449-A4A1-A3072E92CFB7.jpeg

Beautiful pieces indeed, congrats mate!

Just wondering if these goodies are compatible with the 24V too! 🤔

Beautiful pieces indeed, congrats mate!

Just wondering if these goodies are compatible with the 24V too! 🤔

YES indeedy ............

- in-fact if your need a GLOW FEATURE step / position in that key switch i offer up , let me know i can KUSTOM taylor the 10Ga gauge pig tail to the needed color coded tracer stripes you spec.

- that key switch is all roughed in for
GLOW step feature warm up ....

As I near the end of my wiring project I look ahead to what’s waiting.
As my goal is not a restoration I want to get this running and driving.

A big piece of that pizza is the floor under the fuel tank.
Looking online the early floor sections for gas tank area don’t really seem to exist, or I’m using the wrong key words in my search.

Does anyone have a lead on this? Or am I on my own to fab one up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom