What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (77 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 1FZ-FE is a pain in the a$$!

IMG_1856.JPG
IMG_1857.JPG
IMG_1858.JPG

Are you going to block the lower one off too?

I heard some people using their cars strictly off road, block off both ends.

Not sure where the lower one is. If I know where it is I will. This one will be "strictly off road". o_O

Yes. It's getting plugged. Fighting getting that nut off so I can plug it properly. For now it will get RTV. I don't think that's under pressure...
Unfortunately, there is hot exhaust from cyl #6 coming through there. Either remove and block at the back of the head, or you probably could make a round cap retained by that damned stubborn nut you are trying to remove.

Installed Trail Gear's spindle nut upgrade and new outer drivers wheel bearing today. The last time I checked my bearings I noticed drivers outer had minor pitting repacked both sides with synthetic wheel bearing grease done. My opinion
24-9600-SkuImage.jpg
the trail gear stuff I've seen it's not bad stuff the spindle nut upgrade nice

Repaired last weekend's alternator failure. Pulled the alternator, took apart the back half to get to the brush holder. Pulled the brush holder and flushed it out with water to get the mud and silt out. Once the brushes were moving freely, put it all back together. Happy to report the alternator is now working fine :)

Unfortunately, there is hot exhaust from cyl #6 coming through there. Either remove and block at the back of the head, or you probably could make a round cap retained by that damned stubborn nut you are trying to remove.

Don't plug it. Remove it completely. There may be a block off coming for that as well ;)

Where does that pipe go?

Back of the head. Totally accessible. It's like "right there" :p

Define "accessible". I can't seem to find it. I'm about to give up and plug the hole with JB Weld Kwik steel for the time being...

@NLXTACY i found it. FAWK THAT!! I'm using JB Weld.

Well, this was an exciting adventure... A friend in a local offroad club got a new Rubicon after his previous Wrangler burnt to the ground while parked. I decided to go with the small group for his first trail run in the new Jeep. I had just installed new brakes last week and had not driven the truck much in the last month. All was going well, Pearl, my German Sheppard was enjoying her first run in the truck, then when going through a slightly off camber section, I hear a noise - and my truck is getting sporadic power. I get out to make sure nothing is leaking, all seems fine. I go to move again, and it just sounds like someone trying to drive a manual transmission with no knowledge of how to do so. My thought initially was birfield joint, but at this point I'm about 4 kms back into the woods and it is about 9:00 at night.
20161020_195533 by Andrew Turner, on Flickr
Here she sits. Immobilized with only jeeps to save my sorry ass. Time to swallow the pride and get some help from the fellow offroaders.
This Jeep is named the Cookie Monster - and it saved me.
Snapchat-8755206065447928851 by Andrew Turner, on Flickr
Now back to the road, one of the other fellow offroaders lends me a free tow through CAA - as someone who has both a special interest car and a off-road rig - the off-road community always wins!
2016-10-23_08-08-55 by Andrew Turner, on Flickr
Next day I took apart the drivers birfield after diagnosing what part of the axle the noise was coming from. It was a pretty quick tear down - only took about an hour to get to a point where I could see what I needed for parts. I did not take any pictures - mainly because of how messy this job is. never the less, the culprit was a shattered cage in the birfield.
2016-10-23_08-09-15 by Andrew Turner, on Flickr
Ended up scooping up a whole bunch of crap from here!

My fix for this is to buy 2 Longfield birfield joints and a knuckle rebuild kit from Low Range and hopefully have it all back together in the next 2 weeks!

20161022_162026.jpg
20161019_150513.jpg
Took my old man deer hunting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom