What did you do on your 70 series today? (31 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I realized that McMaster-Carr sells metric SEMS. Ordered some.
sems

I just took a first test drive with this mounted.

8F89F169-2DA1-4A4A-AEA4-FD9B9DE5BBDE.jpeg
277B7494-B35A-494D-8E1B-8FEA03D2D0D5.jpeg

All I can say is, everyone of you with a manual trans 70 should send @Delta VS a message and beg them to produce this.

For me it makes driving a manual trans a fair share more fun, less fatiguing and way more comfortable. I wouldn’t say this if it really wasn’t this good.

This one is getting powder coated before fitting power ports and a padded top will finish it off.

Cheers

Why don't you organize a group buy with them- I would in for one.

I might also if it fits RHD.

All I can say is, everyone of you with a manual trans 70 should send @Delta VS a message and beg them to produce this.
Why don't you organize a group buy with them- I would in for one.
I might also if it fits RHD.
Me too.....great setup!

For it to work with RHD vehicles I would guess they'll need to move the parking brake cut out to the other side. Not too difficult to fabricate one up, although Delta VS probably puts this to shame:

My skills are only modest and I always lack time.
Did this DeltaVS box start as the same lock box you used?

My skills are only modest and I always lack time.
Did this DeltaVS box start as the same lock box you used?
I would guess no but I have no idea. If I can build one, nearly anyone can. Time is a different story...

I would guess no but I have no idea. If I can build one, nearly anyone can. Time is a different story...
I have a Tuffy in my 60 and we powdercoated one in a customers 40....never even THOUGHT about using it in the 70. Lol. Going to grab one of the skinny ones I think and give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
I have a Tuffy in my 60 and we powdercoated one in a customers 40....never even THOUGHT about using it in the 70. Lol. Going to grab on of the skinny ones I think and give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!
I'm sure you and/or the guys in your shop can knock this one out of the park

Finally saw the "pre-heat" light kick on. 20F this morning. Less than 2 seconds of cranking and started away.

In other news, I have a fair amount of cold outside air coming in from the bottom of the door. Is weatherstrip still available for the BJ74 or is there adjustment I need to do. The weatherstrip appears OK, but I'm sure it's squished down.

Back to daily driving it today but took my Hzj73 to CLCC Fall Crawl (gore,va) this past weekend.
planned to stay on green trails but we got lost on some blues and even some black trails. All I can say is that I only want to keep owning a 70series land cruiser moving forward. A rear mud flap tore off and the passenger running board got bashed but it performed very well.

1572362654258.jpeg

1572362683740.jpeg

1572362745038.jpeg

Finally saw the "pre-heat" light kick on. 20F this morning. Less than 2 seconds of cranking and started away.

In other news, I have a fair amount of cold outside air coming in from the bottom of the door. Is weatherstrip still available for the BJ74 or is there adjustment I need to do. The weatherstrip appears OK, but I'm sure it's squished down.

The weatherstripping is available. I would also change the plastic cover that goes over the door panel, it's purpose is to cut down on drafts.

Cheers

The weatherstripping is available. I would also change the plastic cover that goes over the door panel, it's purpose is to cut down on drafts.

Cheers

You don't happen to have a part number for that? I've been looking but apparently I'm looking in the wrong spot.

I have a Tuffy in my 60 and we powdercoated one in a customers 40....never even THOUGHT about using it in the 70. Lol. Going to grab one of the skinny ones I think and give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!

@c2dfj45 I did it on mine, here are my learnings.

Tuffy 023-03 Series Ii Console 6.5"
Amazon product ASIN B002Y358NA
- Cant use the one with the radio insert cause the parking brake lever.
- Charcoal finish matches very well the gray cruiser interior (I black loos very ODD)
- You just have to fabricate a base and its easy bolt on
- Cup holders will NOT wok perpendicular, I decided to just take it apart and bolt them to the floor
- Buy some rubber for extra tightness and avoid squeaky sounds

Overall super happy, MAJOR improvement but it is a very tight fit, my passenger seat clashes with the seatbelt bottom when sliding front and back, but I barely have anyone there and when I do, its not a horrible issue, just takes some patience to check the seatbelt bracket is in the correct place.

I’ll take some photos and upload for reference tonight

@c2dfj45 I did it on mine, here are my learnings.

Tuffy 023-03 Series Ii Console 6.5"
Amazon product ASIN B002Y358NA
- Cant use the one with the radio insert cause the parking brake lever.
- Charcoal finish matches very well the gray cruiser interior (I black loos very ODD)
- You just have to fabricate a base and its easy bolt on
- Cup holders will NOT wok perpendicular, I decided to just take it apart and bolt them to the floor
- Buy some rubber for extra tightness and avoid squeaky sounds

Overall super happy, MAJOR improvement but it is a very tight fit, my passenger seat clashes with the seatbelt bottom when sliding front and back, but I barely have anyone there and when I do, its not a horrible issue, just takes some patience to check the seatbelt bracket is in the correct place.

I’ll take some photos and upload for reference tonight

Would love to see the pics!

You don't happen to have a part number for that? I've been looking but apparently I'm looking in the wrong spot.

Not sure if by plastic cover, if yall are talking about the vapor barrier but I got exact ones I needed (they do vary by model) from Japan4x4. Ordered extras to keep on hand because it is tough to remove them intact and usually end up ripping them. Hopefully I never need to go inside the doors for awhile.

I forgot where I read it but someone suggested installing the vapor barrier with velcro tape which seems like an good idea because that black butyl tape is difficult to work with. I have gotten better at applying it though.

Not sure if by plastic cover, if yall are talking about the vapor barrier but I got exact ones I needed (they do vary by model) from Japan4x4. Ordered extras to keep on hand because it is tough to remove them intact and usually end up ripping them. Hopefully I never need to go inside the doors for awhile.

I forgot where I read it but someone suggested installing the vapor barrier with velcro tape which seems like an good idea because that black butyl tape is difficult to work with. I have gotten better at applying it though.

Yeah I don't have the vapor barrier at all on that door. That would explain the cold air coming in. I though it was on there, upon pulling back the corner there is ZERO barrier. That will probably fix the cold air issue.

EDIT:
6783160070 is the vapor barrier part number. Better get that ordered.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom